PDA

View Full Version : Snow White, Tangled, Cinderella for 4yo for Christmas

onerubberducky
12-22-2015, 11:11 AM
My 4yo loves all things princess. I want to download one of these movies for her for a Christmas present. Which one? Can't make up my mind.

We already have Frozen, Sleeping Beauty and Pocohantus.

Any place cheaper than 14.99?

babyonway
12-22-2015, 11:15 AM
My 5 year old LOVES tangled. That and The Little Mermaid are her favorites.

SnuggleBuggles
12-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Tangled! We all love that one! It's probably our favorite Disney cartoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onerubberducky
12-22-2015, 11:23 AM
Little Mermaid we have that one too

twowhat?
12-22-2015, 11:30 AM
Tangled, hands down. I love it too - FUNNIEST animal sidekick EVER.

Or, the live action Cinderella.

wellyes
12-22-2015, 12:20 PM
Tangled!!

mackmama
12-22-2015, 12:22 PM
Thanks for this - is Tangled okay for a 4yo? Any scary parts?

boolady
12-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Tangled. No question.

SnuggleBuggles
12-22-2015, 12:37 PM
Thanks for this - is Tangled okay for a 4yo? Any scary parts?

There is a scary part near the end but my kiddo handled it fine.

twowhat?
12-22-2015, 12:42 PM
Tangled was one of the very first movies my very sensitive 4yos watched. They needed to be held for a couple of scary scenes but compared to other Disney movies, they are on the mild side.

Tenasparkl
12-22-2015, 03:04 PM
Tangled is my absolute favorite. It was DD's first movie and she watched it over and over for years. I have some friends working on the Tangled animated show right now and I can't wait to see it.

There are a few tense moments and Mother Gothel is a little scary. As far as Disney movies go, it's not bad at all. The lanterns make me cry every time.

wellyes
12-22-2015, 09:01 PM
Tangled was one of the very first movies my very sensitive 4yos watched. They needed to be held for a couple of scary scenes but compared to other Disney movies, they are on the mild side.

Same- Tangled was OK for my very sensitive kiddos, but I did some hand holding the first time through.
I have one friend who HATES Tangled because there is some cartoon violence. She calls it "the frying pan movie" because a frying pan is used as a weapon throughout by various characters. It's always humorous, and light compared to old Tom & Jerry or Loony Tunes. But it's more than you'll see in Cinderella.

acmom
12-22-2015, 09:20 PM
My sensitive kids did better with Cinderella than Tangled, although DH and I liked Tangled a lot. They are ok with it now (at 5.5 and 7) but struggled with Morher Gothel when they were younger, especially the idea that she was so mean and stole Rapunzel. We talked about that and dealt with nightmares about it for weeks after the first watching of it! Cinderella went much more smoothly at 4.

legaleagle
12-23-2015, 01:06 AM
If she's fine with frozen, Tangled for sure. Cinderella and Snow White are so boring, IMO, if nothing else. My 3 yo definitely prefers tangled to Cinderella, animated or live action.

123LuckyMom
12-23-2015, 10:09 AM
I'm NOT a fan of Tangled! I'm not an overprotective parent at all, but I think teaching kids that a mother who tries to protect her daughter from the dangers of the world is really an evil witch is problematic (even though the witch isn't her mother, and even though the dangers were not real. I just wouldn't want my child to internalize that all the dangers a parent perceives are nonexistent and that attempts to protect a child are really just about control). I'm also not a huge fan of the hero being a roguish criminal. I would choose Cinderella. The Little Mermaid is one of my favorites, but it's a little scary if your DD is sensitive.

mackmama
12-23-2015, 03:18 PM
So we watched Tangled last night. I was NOT a fan. I fast-forwarded through several parts. I thought it was scary with many inappropriate parts, and I didn't like a lot of the messages like a child being stolen in the night, then the lady being so over-protective and continuing to say how evil the world is. My kiddo is super sensitive so I wasn't thrilled. DC liked it but had a lot of questions and concerns.

Tenasparkl
12-23-2015, 04:48 PM
I'm NOT a fan of Tangled! I'm not an overprotective parent at all, but I think teaching kids that a mother who tries to protect her daughter from the dangers of the world is really an evil witch is problematic (even though the witch isn't her mother, and even though the dangers were not real. I just wouldn't want my child to internalize that all the dangers a parent perceives are nonexistent and that attempts to protect a child are really just about control). I'm also not a huge fan of the hero being a roguish criminal. I would choose Cinderella. The Little Mermaid is one of my favorites, but it's a little scary if your DD is sensitive.

There's pretty much an awful message in every Disney movie. In Cinderella she's waiting for Prince Charming to change her miserable life and in The Little Mermaid Ariel gives up her voice to get a man. I agree that there are some things in Tangled that aren't perfect, but the others are just as problematic.

wellyes
12-23-2015, 05:16 PM
There's pretty much an awful message in every Disney movie. In Cinderella she's waiting for Prince Charming to change her miserable life and in The Little Mermaid Ariel gives up her voice to get a man. I agree that there are some things in Tangled that aren't perfect, but the others are just as problematic.

Yeah, I have to agree.

In Tangled, you can see that every time Gothel says something loving or nice to Rapunzel, she is actually talking to her HAIR. And while she says the world is awful, we know she is a liar. Everywhere Rapunzel goes, she is treated with kindness. The world is actually a pretty nice place. Especially compared to Cinderella's world! But, I know, that's just adults talking.... the horror of the Cinderella movie ("girl abused for years has psychotic break and imagines magic saving her") is something only adults think of. It's magic for little kids.

legaleagle
12-23-2015, 05:23 PM
Re Cinderella - a friend described her 3 yo reaction as 25% pretty dress 75% horror story about mice. So hard to say exactly what gets kids scared.

jam224
12-23-2015, 05:27 PM

Ditto. I cringe when the step-sisters rip Cinderella's dress apart. I hate that Ariel is 15 (!!) and disobeys her father to be with a handsome guy she doesn't even know. I'll pick Tangled over those other 2 any day!

twowhat?
12-23-2015, 06:49 PM
Ditto. I cringe when the step-sisters rip Cinderella's dress apart. I hate that Ariel is 15 (!!) and disobeys her father to be with a handsome guy she doesn't even know. I'll pick Tangled over those other 2 any day!

My kids were TERRIFIED, JUST TERRIFIED of Lucifer in the animated Cinderella!! It IS so hard to say what's going to scare a child! The live action Cinderella is more mild than the animated original, IMO but even then you end up having to have some conversations with your kids about a couple of themes.

Enchanted is one that my kids really liked and there really weren't any scary scenes until the very end. DH and I love Enchanted too!

SnuggleBuggles
12-23-2015, 07:42 PM
I truly don't read deeply into anything nor expect kids to pick up on grown up concerns. For me, Tangled is so much more entertaining than many movies. I'll happily watch it over and over. We talk about how awful MG is but that's about it.
ETA- Enchanted is really cute. I can't get my kids into it, which is a shame. I'd like to see it more.

SnuggleBuggles
12-23-2015, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I have to agree.

In Tangled, you can see that every time Gothel says something loving or nice to Rapunzel, she is actually talking to her HAIR. And while she says the world is awful, we know she is a liar. Everywhere Rapunzel goes, she is treated with kindness. The world is actually a pretty nice place. Especially compared to Cinderella's world! But, I know, that's just adults talking.... the horror of the Cinderella movie ("girl abused for years has psychotic break and imagines magic saving her") is something only adults think of. It's magic for little kids.

Should have just agreed with this. :).

american_mama
12-23-2015, 11:47 PM
I like Tangled, but my problem is slightly different with the Mother Gothel character. I don't know if my kids get how psychologically damaging Mother Gothel is.... that the world is awful AND that Rapunzel is so weak she couldn't handle it, that safety comes only through Mother Gothel rather than from her building Rapunzel up, that Mother Gothel combines protection with threats, doubts, and manipulation. Then, she says the hero could never love Rapunzel - because she just isn't amazing enough - and is just using her. It cruelly distorts a mother's love and that bothers me. But it didn't bother my kids and we all enjoyed it. They certainly get that she is the bad guy and only wants Rapunzel's hair, so I don't think they trusted much of what Mother Gothel said, but it hurt me every time MG manipulated her maternal position to cut Rapunzel down.