PDA

View Full Version : Save my sanity!

petesgirl
12-22-2015, 04:15 PM
Help! I can't take another day of playing cars with DS! I know this is an awful thing to write a BP about and I should really enjoy every second of his childhood... But cars is all he ever wants to do. I pull out all sorts of other activities and they last about 2 mins and then back to cars. I'm so tired of it. I just turned on Magic School Bus.

SnuggleBuggles
12-22-2015, 04:43 PM
My unsolicited advice- get out of the house! Fill up as much of your day out and about. Errands, classes, museums, playgrounds, play dates, pool....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petesgirl
12-22-2015, 05:08 PM
My unsolicited advice- get out of the house! Fill up as much of your day out and about. Errands, classes, museums, playgrounds, play dates, pool....

It's on the list.... I'm tending my neighbor's baby today and it's been snowing since we woke up so I decided not to go out with baby, we will run our errands after her mom picks her up. Winter is so not my favorite.

DualvansMommy
12-22-2015, 05:24 PM
I feel for you, op! DS1 went through a long phase of just being into cars and cars only when he was around 2-3 years old!

specialp
12-22-2015, 06:55 PM
I totally get it. We are out of the house all day most days, but it is still annoying when that one-on-one play time gets stuck into just cars (or whatever it is). I remember one time telling my car lover that I'd play absolutely anything, but not cars. He negotiated me to "dinosaur and cars." Dinosaurs were his first love so I thought for sure that would be a winner. It ended up being all the dinosaurs in a circle and racing cars around them. Grrrrrrrr!

StantonHyde
12-22-2015, 07:38 PM
I confess, I was horrible at playing with my kids. I was the activity mom. I was out of the house EVERY day no matter the weather (I worked PT so I only had 4 days a week to entertain them all day) DH was the playing parent. He couldn't plan an activity to save his mother, but he was awesome at playing with the kids.

petesgirl
12-22-2015, 08:22 PM
I gave him a wipe and told him to go find a dirty spot on the walls! Luckily there are plenty of those and he is loving being helpful!

ShanaMama
12-22-2015, 10:38 PM
I gave him a wipe and told him to go find a dirty spot on the walls! Luckily there are plenty of those and he is loving being helpful!
Ha! Most awesome follow up post ever! I'm sure he's loving wiping the dirty spots and you can get a clean wall! I'm not sure if you'd want him to handle it (I find them a little abrasive and probably better with gloves) but Mr. Clean magic erasers are great for cleaning walls. Really satisfying.

Meatball Mommie
12-23-2015, 09:40 AM
I confess, I was horrible at playing with my kids. I was the activity mom. I was out of the house EVERY day no matter the weather (I worked PT so I only had 4 days a week to entertain them all day) DH was the playing parent. He couldn't plan an activity to save his mother, but he was awesome at playing with the kids.

This is DH and I as well. I would always be sorting and organizing their toys as they played (esp. Legos!).

lizzywednesday
12-23-2015, 09:52 AM

Awesome.

I taught DD to clean windows when she was about your son's age. We use METHOD brand glass cleaner - alcohol based rather than ammonia based, so less harsh/toxic than Windex - and she does a pretty good job.

This year, I taught her how to vacuum and mop.