PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for Christmas morning breakfast?

ang79
12-23-2015, 08:05 PM
I've been stuck at home sick since Saturday and am finally starting to feel a bit better, though still not 100%. We're running low on some grocery items and trying to decide if I want to go out and grab some things for Christmas morning breakfast, or just make do with what we have. It is just our family and we have a pretty low key morning, just opening gifts, playing with new toys, and lounging around. We don't have to leave til around 3 for Christmas dinner at my in-laws, so we'll probably do a brunch late morning. Any ideas for something special but that won't take a lot of work? DD1 does not eat eggs, other than that they are pretty good with most anything.

candaceb
12-23-2015, 08:08 PM
I'm making nutella star bread this year. I saw the recipe on facebook and can't stop thinking about it!
http://www.handimania.com/cooking/braided-nutella-star-bread-all-steps.html

PZMommy
12-23-2015, 08:09 PM
We bake Pilsbury cinnamon rolls.

SnuggleBuggles
12-23-2015, 08:15 PM
Trader Joe's croissants (the frozen ones you proof overnight) or their cinnamon rolls.
ETA- we eat a big brunch at 11:30ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snow mom
12-23-2015, 08:24 PM
We are making maple buns. Traditionally they are honey buns made with pilsury rolls but now we make them with homemade biscuits and maple syrup instead.

HannaAddict
12-23-2015, 08:25 PM

Always a treat and favorite here with the kids!

trcy
12-23-2015, 08:32 PM
We are going to a friend's house for a late brunch, so I am going to try a crockpot oatmeal for breakfast here. I have never tried this before. I hope it turns out ok because I don't have a background plan.

liz
12-23-2015, 08:43 PM
TJ's cinnamon rolls? They're yummy

eta, we do a simplified croissant bread pudding using barefoot contessas recipe

jgenie
12-23-2015, 08:51 PM
We're doing jelly doughnuts and bagels.

wendibird22
12-23-2015, 08:53 PM
Coffee cake (from box mix), bacon, eggs, omelettes. We've done Belgian waffles with fresh strawberries before too.

jennilynn
12-23-2015, 09:00 PM
We do donuts first, then brunch at my mom's. This year it's hash brown casserole, bacon, gingerbread, chocolate chip muffins, and fruit.

specialp
12-23-2015, 09:00 PM
We currently make a sweet breakfast casserole and a savory crustless quiche the night before that we pop in the oven the morning of while opening presents. We've also done either Pilsbury cinnamon rolls or flakey biscuits with a packet of white gravy. Both easy and delicious and a treat for us!

vludmilla
12-23-2015, 09:26 PM
Baked eggs, bacon, orange juice, and fruit. Plenty of good coffee for adults too!

carolinacool
12-23-2015, 09:26 PM
We tend to be pretty boring and standard here. Lol So eggs, pancakes and then some combination of bacon/sausage/scrapple. And I have some yogurt and fruit on hand for DS, who can be picky about eggs and pancakes. My parents will be here, so it'll be the five of us.

icunurse
12-23-2015, 09:32 PM
Every year, I put together two casseroles on Christmas Eve and bake them in the oven on Christmas Day. One is a breakfast casserole made of eggs, bread, sausage and cheese. The other is a blueberry French toast casserole. My kids have been talking about them for days :)

bisous
12-23-2015, 10:18 PM
Cinnamon rolls from friends, chocolate croissants from tjs and a savory breakfast casserole.

ang79
12-23-2015, 10:18 PM

That's what we normally do too. I have a pack in the fridge, but the exp. date is Jan. 2015 so I'm a bit scared to use them! They must have gotten shoved to the back and forgotten!

ang79
12-23-2015, 10:21 PM
Every year, I put together two casseroles on Christmas Eve and bake them in the oven on Christmas Day. One is a breakfast casserole made of eggs, bread, sausage and cheese. The other is a blueberry French toast casserole. My kids have been talking about them for days :)

Care to share your recipes? I'm home pretty much all day tomorrow and almost all my gifts are wrapped (finally!), so if I am feeling better I could prep something to bake Christmas morning.

infocrazy
12-23-2015, 10:40 PM
We are going to try this this year. I don't think I can do it ahead which I prefer but doesn't seem like it will take long. I think baked eggs as well.

http://www.food.com/recipe/cinnamon-french-toast-bake-240664

icunurse
12-23-2015, 10:54 PM
Care to share your recipes? I'm home pretty much all day tomorrow and almost all my gifts are wrapped (finally!), so if I am feeling better I could prep something to bake Christmas morning.

Sure! I have been making them for years and they always turn out great.

Dont laugh at the name....it really is good!
http://www.food.com/recipe/brads-moms-breakfast-casserole-70044

This one is very rich and delicious
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/15057/overnight-blueberry-french-toast/

Pennylane
12-23-2015, 10:57 PM
French toast (made with Whole foods Challah) , whip cream and strawberries. Eggs, bacon , and sausage.

Ann

mackmama
12-23-2015, 11:08 PM
Lox and bagels with all the fixin's. Mmmm mmmm. :)

ArizonaGirl
12-23-2015, 11:37 PM
An old Czech or Bavarian sweet bread (Hoska) that my Grandma and her mom and her mom, etc. have made for many years and now the torch has been passed on to me.

It takes about a day to prepare and braid and I make loaves for the whole family, my parents, Aunts and Uncles, Cousins etc.

There is no real recipe written down just passed down from family member to family member.

It is DELICIOUS and because it is so time consuming I don't make it often, but it is a Christmas tradition for breakfast.

georgiegirl
12-24-2015, 12:27 AM
We are doing lox and bagels (in part because we leave town around noon and want something easy.)

barkley1
12-24-2015, 12:33 AM
My husband's family tradition was sausage pinwheels, so we always do those - and super easy, too. Perfect to make (except for cutting and baking) the night before. We munch on those while we do presents, and then we'll have some cinnamon rolls, scrambled eggs , and fruit.

Cam&Clay
12-24-2015, 12:52 AM

Every year! It's not fancy, but they love them!

oneplustwo
12-24-2015, 12:57 AM
Each year we do one of several sweet baked breakfasts that you prepare the night (or earlier) before and then pop in the oven the next morning. Probably the easiest is the French toast bread pudding one. I've always skipped the nuts, simply to make it easier:

Ingredients
12 ounces challah or other egg bread with crust, torn into 3/4-inch pieces
7 large eggs
2 1/2 cups whole or reduced-fat (2%) milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon freshly grated whole nutmeg or ground nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
Warm maple syrup

Butter 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish. Place bread in dish. Whisk eggs and next 4 ingredients in medium bowl to blend; pour over bread. Using spatula, lightly press down on bread to moisten completely. Cover with foil and chill overnight.

Place foil-covered dish in cold oven. Set oven at 350°F and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until pudding is puffed and golden brown, about 35 minutes longer. Spoon pudding onto plates, sprinkle with toasted nuts, and serve with warm maple syrup.

SASM
12-24-2015, 08:43 AM
I posted that same question last week in regards to breakfast casseroles. They all look fantastic!!

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?491869-S-o-Please-SPAM-me-with-your-absolute-FAVORITE-breakfast-casserole!!&highlight=Casserole

jam224
12-24-2015, 01:59 PM
I like to make Ina Garten's sticky buns, but we're at my MIL's house this year, so I'm choosing to stay out of the kitchen, haha! :)

MommyAllison
12-24-2015, 03:55 PM
I always make the same savory dish, but am still searching for the perfect sweet dish.

Savory: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/229150/cheesy-amish-breakfast-casserole/ I do everything except bake it on Christmas Eve, get up and put in oven on Christmas morning. Easy and soooooo good!

This year we are trying this for sweet: http://www.melskitchencafe.com/overnight-cinnamon-and-sugar-twists/ might do a cream cheese thing instead of the glaze