PDA

View Full Version : Potty training a small dog

Pennylane
12-26-2015, 12:37 PM
My DF just got her girls a poodle mix for Christmas and was asking me the best way to potty train it, potty pads or outdoors. I've only had large dogs so no experience with smaller breeds.

Any tips I could pass along to her?

Thanks,
Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

specialp
12-26-2015, 02:24 PM
My DF just got her girls a poodle mix for Christmas and was asking me the best way to potty train it, potty pads or outdoors. I've only had large dogs so no experience with smaller breeds.

Any tips I could pass along to her?

Thanks,
Ann

Only outdoors. No pads at all. Have a small pen area (*eta: like removable baby gate thing. doesn't have to be sturdy.) that is their potty area only that the dog associates with potty only vs. just being outside for fun.

doberbrat
12-26-2015, 02:31 PM
just like any other dog. crate train it and teach it to potty outside only.

Its in its crate unless it has just gone outside and pottied AND someone is ACTIVELY watching it ready to whisk it outside when it starts sniffing to go. If its a teeny dog, watch for hawks/owls etc but outside it goes.

mmommy
12-26-2015, 02:59 PM
Crate train and outside only unless you want it to go inside normally. I have a litter box trained chihuahua, which is great. But I wouldn't recommend training inside at all unless you intend to make it a lifetime habit.

hellokitty
12-26-2015, 06:21 PM
I don't recommend paper or pad training. A small dog is a dog too, going outside will be just fine. Be consistent, crate or block off a tiled or vinyl floored area while PT, pick a code word for (we use "potty"), use lots of small treats for positive reinforcement, do not let dog have copious access to water sometimes they drink out of boredom at that age, crate at night, but if they cry to pee... you need to get up and take them out. It took about 4 wks for me to fully pt our dorkie. I've seen too many ppl who tried to paper/pad train that ended up with a dog that just never really pt... also use a leash, we adopted our dog and we're surprised, he acted as if he had never been on a leash before!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

JBaxter
12-26-2015, 06:45 PM
Mine were rescues and were puppy pad trained at somepoint before I got them My 7lber does have issues going for long periods so I do keep a pad down when I know we are going to be busy/ gone and she's not crated. She has peed in her crate if we are gone more than 6 hrs.

endlessheather
12-28-2015, 01:07 AM
Our goldendoodle is 4 months old and we potty trained him super quick using a bell that hangs on the door that he noses or paws whenever he needs to go out. It was so fast and it works great! We are at a beach house right now and just brought the bell for him to ring. I highly recommend it! My parents tiny little dog and my sisters adopted adult pound dog both are trained to use the bell too!

TwinFoxes
12-28-2015, 08:00 AM
OP, I wouldn't use pads. Who wants dog waste in thier house?

Our goldendoodle is 4 months old and we potty trained him super quick using a bell that hangs on the door that he noses or paws whenever he needs to go out. It was so fast and it works great! We are at a beach house right now and just brought the bell for him to ring. I highly recommend it! My parents tiny little dog and my sisters adopted adult pound dog both are trained to use the bell too!

My boxer was trained to ring a bell. It was great. My current dogs aren't, but that's because our house is more of an open floor plan and we can easily see them standing there.

Pennylane
12-28-2015, 10:09 AM
Thanks everyone! I'll pass on all the info to her. I also used the bells with my boxer and it worked great!

Thanks,
Ann