PDA

View Full Version : Parental controls for Android phone?

PunkyBoo
12-28-2015, 01:10 PM
DS1 got a cell phone for Christmas- he is almost 12. I've read about several parental controls for androids and feel overwhelmed. I think I need to set him up with an email address. I'd like him to be able to listen to music- I have Amazon prime so can he listen to Prime music thru his phone? Anyone with kids on an Android phone that can walk me through this? Help!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

PunkyBoo
12-28-2015, 09:02 PM
DS1 got a cell phone for Christmas- he is almost 12. I've read about several parental controls for androids and feel overwhelmed. I think I need to set him up with an email address. I'd like him to be able to listen to music- I have Amazon prime so can he listen to Prime music thru his phone? Anyone with kids on an Android phone that can walk me through this? Help!

Bumping- anyone?

JBaxter
12-28-2015, 09:22 PM
Nathan has an iPhone so I'm not sure he uses Pandora or YouTube for music and sometimes he downloads from iTunes if he has a gift card. Nathan has had his gmail for several years for some game app and his FB account and use it for school log ins now. I just have all the passwords and do random spot checks.

khm
12-28-2015, 09:31 PM
I don't have any parental control apps, I just check in with it now and then. You'll want to make sure any settings for streaming games, music or movies are set to wifi only if data use is limited. That stuff chews up data.

My daughter has an iPhone, and I an Android. I have her password for her email and all her social apps. She needs me to enter my password if she wants to download anything. I have paid apps and in-app payments disallowed. (I also don't tie my credit card to my iTunes account, I just use iTunes gift cards, just in case.)

melwe
12-28-2015, 11:56 PM
I use this one. I think it can be set up for free, but I pay a small fee for extra features.

https://screentimelabs.com

My DD is 9, so quite a bit younger. She has an Android tablet (not a phone), but we got the tablet through Sprint so we needed to restrict access to certain things to avoid charges.

I like that I can restrict the total time she spends on the tablet and which apps she has access to. I have it set so that she cannot use it before school, and it shuts down certain apps before bedtime (she can still read). It also shuts off all access at bedtime, so she cannot use the tablet at all after a certain time. You can customize it so that certain apps count against the allotted time and other do not.

One of the best features is that I can change anything remotely from my phone. I can give her more time, shut it down, etc.

I have not figured out the Amazon thing yet. I have Prime and tried to let her have access to kindle. Even though I had instructed her not to order anything, she did anyway. She bought books and signed up for Kindle Unlimited. I was able to get refunds on somethings, but it was lesson learned that she was not ready for that.

So I'm not super tech savvy but never really figured out how to give my child access to some parts of Amazon without risking access to more than I wanted her to. Hope some of that helps!

jerseygirl07067
12-29-2015, 12:46 AM
We are an android family and my DD has an android. You can go into settings and set some of the controls there. I also am going to put the SMS tracker app on her phone so I can monitor her texts and activity. There is a secret sms tracker app too, that is harder for her to detect. I think it's disguised under a different name like health something, I can't remember. It will also show where the phone is should it get lost or stolen.

jerseygirl07067
12-29-2015, 12:50 AM
I just read the rest of your post. I can't see why he couldn't listen to Amazon Prime through his phone. It should work fine, you might need to do it through the Amazon app or there might be an amazon app for music listening purposes. We haven't done it, but there's an app for everything!

Which android phone does your DS have? I might be able to help more if I knew which one. Honestly, you can do more with them than with iphones but sometimes there is a bit of a learning curve.

PunkyBoo
12-29-2015, 12:54 AM
I just read the rest of your post. I can't see why he couldn't listen to Amazon Prime through his phone. It should work fine, you might need to do it through the Amazon app or there might be an amazon app for music listening purposes. We haven't done it, but there's an app for everything!

Which android phone does your DS have? I might be able to help more if I knew which one. Honestly, you can do more with them than with iphones but sometimes there is a bit of a learning curve.
He has a Galaxy core prime. I have a S6 and listen on Prime music. I'll have to play around with it to see if I can log him in to my prime account just for music without giving him free access to ordering on my Amazon prime![emoji1]