PDA

View Full Version : Help me with paint, please!

Staraglimmer
12-29-2015, 12:45 AM
So I have an UGLY yellow corner soaking tub and an ugly shower. I have lived with them for 3 years and I doubt we will be able to replace them in the next 10 years. So help me find a pant color to help them blend a little.

Any suggestions?
The counters are granite with awful peach undertones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerseygirl07067
12-29-2015, 04:21 AM
Can you show a pic of your floors and granite? That would help a lot. :)

Staraglimmer
12-29-2015, 10:16 AM
The counters and the flor are both this granite. The bathroom is small with no natural light, but I'm willing to go dark to offset the fixtures.

TIA!

mackmama
12-29-2015, 01:28 PM
This is a toughie. With the different undertones you have going on (yellow and peach), I'd go with a creamy white with yellowy undertones.

SW 7008 Alabaster
BM 967 Cloud White
BM AF-20 Mascarpone
SW 6119 Antique White

Staraglimmer
12-29-2015, 08:24 PM
Thank you! It's just so ugly. I don't like anything in the whole room! It also has a mix of dark brown and white cabinets. I wish we could just start from scratch!

nfowife
12-29-2015, 10:36 PM
Can you post a pic of the whole room?

jerseygirl07067
12-30-2015, 01:34 AM
I agree, the whole room pic would help a lot. My friend has a very dated bathroom, very 70s with dark panels, dark tan tile, brown countertops and sinks, and no natural light. It is very ugly and we laugh about it. But she kind of went with it, and decorated it to have a retro 70s feel, to work with what was in there, rather than fight it. She did a great job with it! I think she even painted the walls brown.

The creamy white would be nice, though it will make your other features stand out more. I know it's not a bathroomy color, but a terracotta could be interesting, or a red, on the warmer side. If you could post a whole room pic that would help. I know the trend nowadays is back toward the calming neutrals, but maybe the red would spice up your room? It's such a bold color that it could then become the focal point, rather than the other stuff in there you don't like. But I have to see pictures, I'm so visual. DH is good at color selection too, so I can show him if you post one.

Maybe even a very deep taupey color? One that is not as deep as what's in your granite, maybe 50% lighter is what I'm thinking.

mackmama
12-30-2015, 02:41 AM
Thank you! It's just so ugly. I don't like anything in the whole room! It also has a mix of dark brown and white cabinets. I wish we could just start from scratch!

I'd paint the cabinets a cream color.

Staraglimmer
12-30-2015, 10:38 AM
I will get a pic. Of the whole bathroom ASAP. I won't paint the dark vanity because it was $$$$ and brand new. It's the only thing that we replaced when we moved in (the old one was really short). The dark brown took us months to pick out and was the only thing that looked good with the floor and counter and yellow sinks. The twi thing that I am stuck with are the vanity and the white built in make up cabinet that my mom bought me for my birthday one year. I will post pics today. Thanks to everyone who responded. I think I might just be stuck with ugly until I can replace everything with white (original plan). Everything was going to be white and the vanity was going to be the statement piece. (But when we found issues in the house, we couldn't do the bathroom.)

BunnyBee
12-30-2015, 12:34 PM
You might be able to do a blue, but pictures of the whole thing would be helpful. Try to get them in daylight, but remember to test your paint colors in big areas even at night! Changing the light bulbs could make a big difference too. There are some newer LED bulbs that don't give a yellow cast but not a cold cast either.

jench
12-30-2015, 12:42 PM
How about gray? Google yellow gray bathrooms. There are even a couple images with yellow fixtures.
I love that combo!