PDA

View Full Version : Am I supposed to be using Vitamin C serum with hyaluronic acid on my face?

Pilotbaby
12-29-2015, 10:05 AM
Beauty advice needed please. I had a facial a few weeks ago at a really nice spa and the esthetician asked if I use a Vitamin C serum daily. I assumed she was trying to sell me something so I didn't really chat much about it with her. Yesterday I stumbled upon an article online about using Vitamin C with hyaluronic acid daily for aging skin and now I feel like I've been missing out! Does anyone use this? Do you find it helpful? What brands do you recommend? I looked on Amazon but many of the reviews for these products were written in exchange for free product and I didn't see any that stood out to me to try. TIA

marymoo86
12-29-2015, 10:16 AM
You can easily make your own. This is on my to do list (NY's resolution :) )

calebsmama03
12-29-2015, 10:38 AM
I have off an on but need to get serious about it now that I'm over 40 and have more elasticity issues. :/ If you google "essential day spa forum vitamin c serum" you should get a ton of hits. Those ladies are serious about their skincare and treatments. There are tons of DIY recipes as well as lots of advice. I learned about this place trying to find reviews on the dermawand to treat acne and PIH. Ended up finding another device, much cheaper, and learned a lot about how to use it. Lots of good info to sift through, advice on where to find the raw ingredients to make your own, reviews on ore are serums, etc.

There was also a website specifically for "mature skin" that had lots of reviews of products but I can't think of it just now. If I do I will edit and post it but the EDS forum should get you going well enough anyway.

I should add the reason I want to make my own isn't so much cost as effectiveness. Vitamin c, even in its stabilized forms, is not a stable ingredient and it breaks down quickly and loses efficacy. You have no way to know with a premade serum how much c it contains (many don't specify) and even if you do know you can't tell how much is still active. If you make your own you k ow exactly what percentage is in there and can tweak to your specific needs. You also know what it was made and thus know when to get rid of it. (No, I can't recall specific timeframes but the forum will have all of it. Just search through there). I have used many that were definitely oxidized (dark orange) like MyChelle, Jason, and a few random ones that were meh on results. But the ladies there swear by it.

Pennylane
12-29-2015, 10:43 AM
My dermatologist told me if there was only one thing to use on my skin daily it was Vitamin C. I use it every am and follow up with Vitamin A in the evening . She also told me that when you are over 40 your skin doesn't turn over as fast and exfoliation was super important. I use the clarisonic brush with my cleanser (Cerave) which she also recommended.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/29/3d8494d2b93e98cf6aa1036a4f622b24.jpg

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pilotbaby
12-29-2015, 11:45 AM
I have off an on but need to get serious about it now that I'm over 40 and have more elasticity issues. :/ If you google "essential day spa forum vitamin c serum" you should get a ton of hits. Those ladies are serious about their skincare and treatments. There are tons of DIY recipes as well as lots of advice. I learned about this place trying to find reviews on the dermawand to treat acne and PIH. Ended up finding another device, much cheaper, and learned a lot about how to use it. Lots of good info to sift through, advice on where to find the raw ingredients to make your own, reviews on ore are serums, etc.

There was also a website specifically for "mature skin" that had lots of reviews of products but I can't think of it just now. If I do I will edit and post it but the EDS forum should get you going well enough anyway.

I should add the reason I want to make my own isn't so much cost as effectiveness. Vitamin c, even in its stabilized forms, is not a stable ingredient and it breaks down quickly and loses efficacy. You have no way to know with a premade serum how much c it contains (many don't specify) and even if you do know you can't tell how much is still active. If you make your own you k ow exactly what percentage is in there and can tweak to your specific needs. You also know what it was made and thus know when to get rid of it. (No, I can't recall specific timeframes but the forum will have all of it. Just search through there). I have used many that were definitely oxidized (dark orange) like MyChelle, Jason, and a few random ones that were meh on results. But the ladies there swear by it.

Thank you- looking around there now.

elbenn
12-29-2015, 01:12 PM
Thank you- looking around there now.

Let us know what you decide to do. I am curious about this based on this thread.

mackmama
12-29-2015, 01:17 PM
I have read that Skinceuticals C E Ferulic is a great product to use. I used to use it years ago and then forgot about it, so I'm going to get started on it again. Thanks for the reminder! My skin could use a boost.

Twoboos
12-29-2015, 01:33 PM
I like the Ole Henrikson Truth Serum Collagen Booster Vitamin C complex.

Pilotbaby
12-29-2015, 01:36 PM
Let us know what you decide to do. I am curious about this based on this thread.

The skincare website overwhelmed me a bit but I posted on there so I will let you know what they say. I did find a thread about one called skinmedica that looks good and I am looking at another one on Amazon called Truskin. Hoping for a few recommendations and then I will pick one:)

ECUPirateMom
12-29-2015, 01:47 PM
I've found a lot of good information on skin care on the reddit skincare addiction and Asian beauty forums :) def worth checking those out along with product reviews on makeupalley.com :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

baymom
03-09-2016, 12:10 AM
Hi Pilotbaby! Just got wondering what you ended up choosing and how you like it. I'm in the market for a night time serum and am intrigued with Vit C and just starting to research it a bit. The Truskin on Amazon has great reviews (from verified purchasers) so it's on my shortlist.

Katigre
03-15-2016, 11:59 AM
I'm in my 30's and started using it, but it made my face break out and my skin definitely didn't like it or look better so I stopped using it.