PDA

View Full Version : For fun: What are your New Year's Eve plans?

trcy
12-29-2015, 05:53 PM
Living vicariously through people that have a life, lol. We plan to do nothing. We don't like to be on the road for New Years. I honestly don't think I can stay up until midnight anyway. Plus DS and I have colds :(. DH is excited about a college football game that's going to be on, woohoo! (Sarcasm, lol).

SnuggleBuggles
12-29-2015, 06:09 PM
Invited to a party (kids included). Might go for a bit. In past years, my favorite years have been staying at home and letting the kids stay up until midnight. We watch movies, play games... I like inviting our neighbors over too but dh prefers just us. I enjoyed NYE a bit too much at a party last year thus maybe just making an appearance this year. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mackmama
12-29-2015, 06:42 PM
We are usually in bed by 10pm, and DC keeps regular bedtime. Following this post to see if we should be living it up a bit more!

Btw - how do you all explain the concept of New Year's to your kids? DC is 4.5yo and I don't think gets it.

ilfaith
12-29-2015, 06:43 PM
We have friends from out of state visiting, so we're just having our own little party at home and also getting ready for our big New Year's Day brunch. We've been hosting huge brunch parties (80-90 people) on New Year's Day since 1997.

AnnieW625
12-29-2015, 06:52 PM
We are going to an American Hockey League game (the minor league teams for the LA Kings and Calgary Flames) and then spending the night in a hotel. There is suppose to be fireworks and a laser light show after the game. We will wake up, and go downstairs to get breakfast and then watch the Rose Parade before checking out.

SnuggleBuggles
12-29-2015, 07:02 PM
We are usually in bed by 10pm, and DC keeps regular bedtime. Following this post to see if we should be living it up a bit more!

Btw - how do you all explain the concept of New Year's to your kids? DC is 4.5yo and I don't think gets it.

Not sure how much they get it but ds2 has been allowed to stay up til midnight for many years and he sure looks forward to it!

SnuggleBuggles
12-29-2015, 07:03 PM
We are going to an American Hockey League game (the minor league teams for the LA Kings and Calgary Flames) and then spending the night in a hotel. There is suppose to be fireworks and a laser light show after the game. We will wake up, and go downstairs to get breakfast and then watch the Rose Parade before checking out.

That sounds so awesome!!

jam224
12-29-2015, 07:19 PM
Does anyone have any fun kid-friendly NYE traditions? DD is 4.5yo and DH will actually be home this year too, woohoo!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
12-29-2015, 07:30 PM
We'll spend most of the night at BWW with some friends cheering on the Michigan State Spartans in the Cotton Bowl (a close friends son plays for MSU, he's a senior and it's his last college game). We'll come back to our house and have some drinks with friends here. My kids are 9 and 12 and are night hawks so they've been staying up till midnight for years! I think the adults will play Cards against Humanity, we played with the same friends on Christmas eve and had a blast, but you have to make sure the kids are not in earshot! I think we'll send the kids across the cul de sac to my friends house, her basement has darts and lots of dancing room for them to go crazy in!!!!

DietCokeLover
12-29-2015, 10:49 PM
We are inviting a couple of families over. We'll have the Orange Bowl (Go Tigers) on, play games, eat snacks and keep it low key. May not make it til midnight.

lalasmama
12-29-2015, 11:15 PM
Are ya ready for our excitement?? We'll be living it up late into the night--maybe even to like 10pm!

We're helping friends move the following morning, so it's early to bed for us.

mikala
12-29-2015, 11:19 PM
Does anyone have any fun kid-friendly NYE traditions? DD is 4.5yo and DH will actually be home this year too, woohoo!

We usually have appetizers for dinner and celebrate at some arbitrary time with noisemakers and sparkling juice. Last year we watched a YouTube video of the ball drop and did the countdown with it. We went to a noon year's eve party with other families last year and that was fun too.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

mmommy
12-29-2015, 11:37 PM

We usually meet up with friends who have kids of a similar age and do an early sunset countdown with the kids. sometimes they like the countdown so much we do it a few times. Then we keep the kids to a fairly normal bedtime.

jerseygirl07067
12-30-2015, 01:42 AM
My favorite holiday! And it happens to be my birthday too. :) So we have a party every year. I think this is the the 9th or 10th annual one since having kids. When DD #1 was born, she was only 9 days old and it was so depressing. (don't get me wrong, I was so happy to have my baby, but I was completely sleep deprived and still adjusting to motherhood)...I was exhausted, and my friend came over and we were just sitting on the couch nursing our babies! So different from previous years since even pre-kids we had or hosted big parties. One year we did one at a hotel downtown and charged everyone an entrance fee to come to pay for open food and bar. We essentially would break even. Our parties since kids have gotten more fun now, since almost all the families last til midnight or later, we have a balloon drop for the kids around 930ish, and have a bounce house. This year we are adding a dance area on our patio and my friend is rigging up some type of karaoke on a mic and speaker she just got for Christmas. I always look forward to this night! 5-6 years ago our place would be cleared out by 11! Last year people stayed until 1/1:30 ish. We are a family of night owls :)

gatorsmom
12-30-2015, 01:53 AM
We have had a kid- friendly party at our house for that last five years. My brother comes over with his teenage kids and sometimes one or two other families. I always make a build- your own taco salad bar complete with the crispy taco bowls and all the toppings. Lots of Christmas cookies for dessert. We get board games going or video games or the kids go swimming. We don't even serve alcohol most of the time, just sparkling apple cider. Most people leave before midnight which is fine because we are usually too tired to stay up past midnight and then put kids to bed!

carolinacool
12-30-2015, 02:02 AM
DH is working, but DS and I have been invited over to a friend's house just to hang out. It will be a big group of people, and we just plan to watch football and have some adult beverages. I was told tonight to wear yoga pants. Lol

However, this same group is actually going out on Wednesday night. We're trying to avoid crowds and cover charges. Lol One grandmother has volunteered to sit with all of the kids (bless her!) so we're going to stay long enough to make sure they all fall asleep and then we are heading out.

essnce629
12-30-2015, 05:13 AM
Usually we are out of town for New Years. Last year we were in Palm Dessert and the year before that we were in Big Bear. We usually go out to a nice dinner, walk around town and see whatever festivities are going on, and then head back to our hotel room for snacks and sparkling drinks for the kids while we watch the ball drop on tv. My kids have always stayed up till midnight no problem. This year, however, DH is on a work trip to the Cayman Islands so no out of town trip for us!!! His plane back home lands at 5pm on New Years Eve and my mom is coming up that day, so DH and I have dinner reservations at a nice restaurant at 9pm that night. Hopefully he doesn't miss his flight like his last work trip and makes it back in time without being too exhausted! My mom will stay home with the kids and I'll have snacks and drinks for them.

marymoo86
12-30-2015, 07:10 AM
invited to a kid friendly NYE party but it starts close to my LOs bedtime and they don't adapt well to staying up past normal bedtime. Looks like another typical evening at home. Fine by me since DD2 wakes up between 530 and 600!

Mommy_Mea
12-30-2015, 07:58 AM
The shopping center in town holds a block party for the kids with a DJ, glow sticks and a countdown at 7pm. We went last year, and it was a lot of fun despite the cold. DH and I have never really stayed up to midnight, so happy to have a fairly regular bedtime for the kids, but still fun :-)

anonomom
12-30-2015, 08:48 AM
We stay in, eat appetizers, play board games and watch movies. The last two years, the kids have stayed up.

When they were very small, I used to have a "noon year's eve" party with a balloon drop. That was a lot of fun.

Netflix has several kid-friendly NYE countdown movies. I think the idea is that parents can choose a time to do the countdown with their kids.

liz
12-30-2015, 10:22 AM
When the kids were really small, it was just the 5 of us. We would usually get Chinese/Indian take out, light candles and eat on the "good" china.

Now it has morphed into DH family and mine getting together at our house. We still get take out, but eat on paper plates now lol. We've added board games to the mix. Last year was Left Center Right, Headbandz (rec's from the BBB) and UNO. It's a very relaxed night.

This year I bought Trigger, Spot It and I'll probably get out Pictionary and use the kids easel -finally that thing will get some use!. It was a bit challenging to find games that the youngest could participate in as well as keeping the interest of the adults. (I'll take any rec's for next year!)

FYI, the party is over before midnight which is fine with me!

trales
12-30-2015, 10:56 AM
One of the towns near us has 730 fireworks on the millpond. We have dinner reservations at 5, will do some events in town and then fireworks at 730, everyone to bed after that.

123LuckyMom
12-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Our local ski resort does a celebration with people holding lights skiing down the mountain followed by fireworks at midnight. We may do that. We've been invited to a kid-friendly party on NY Eve, and another party on NY day. Honestly, I'd rather stay home, put the kids to bed on time, and watch the ball drop on tv. I'm exhausted from multiple sleepless nights on a post-Christmas trip to NYC.

Twoboos
12-30-2015, 02:46 PM
As of this morning it was just going to be us 4 hanging out. Then we got an invite to the neighbors house, with kids. So I think we'll do that. Hopefully it won't get too crazy, LOL.

DualvansMommy
12-30-2015, 05:15 PM
We had a very hectic Christmas week last week, followed by both boys being hit with a quick running virus immediately after. Now I'm feeling bit off, probably low key activity tomorrow with boys then chill at home with nice dinner Netflix do a ball watching movie with boys then bed!

bigsis
12-30-2015, 06:27 PM
We're staying in! We got invited to a get-together with another family, but honestly, I'd rather be home---eat what I like, drink what I like, go to sleep when I like..... :bag

TwinFoxes
12-30-2015, 06:58 PM
One of my good friends, who lives in the neighborhood, is having a party. Kids invited. Last year it got cuh-razy. I don't know what got into all of us. I think it was years of having low-key NYEs because of our young kids. This year she promises it will be much tamer.

KrisM
12-30-2015, 07:07 PM
We are staying in. We'll eat snacks and fun foods instead of dinner. We'll play games. Kids will likely make it to midnight. We'll go to bed at 12:05 :).

I had wanted to invite neighbors over, but my house is just not ready for that. Maybe next year.

ETA: We are going to Dave and Busters for lunch/games. We've never done this, but I think it'll be fun. I figure if we go on NYE, we can more easily limit it to that day every year, since I know it's really pricey!

rlu
12-30-2015, 07:49 PM
Every year for umpteen years I've worked until 9pm (east coast based company, so at least not midnight for me) but I work from home that day so I don't have to drive in the dark. At 9pm we go outside and bang pots with metal spoons, play the trumpet and celebrate East Coast midnight. (We adopted this from our pre-kid neighbors who did that with their kids). We drink sparkling apple cider and put the kid to bed. DH and I usually follow an hour or so later.

This year I am still working but DS wants to stay up to midnight. I need to discuss with DH and plan what to do if he does stay up. Not sure how GoldPup will handle the inevitable firecrackers/works (not legal here) and noise. LGD needed doggie tranqs on 7/4 and 12/31 so I hope GoldPup handles it better.

12/31 and 1/1 we'll be watching various bowl games - our alma mater won their mid-Dec bowl game but DH is also partial to Notre Dame which is playing a 1/1 game IIRC.

lmwbasye
12-30-2015, 08:08 PM
We've rented a cabin this week in CO so we're just hanging out this year. Some years we've let the boys stay up till midnight but it's been really hectic this past month and I'm not feeling it so I'm thinking we may take advantage of the time difference and call it a day at the ball drop at 10 p.m. :) That just feels so much more manageable with the way we're all feeling this year. We'll probably just play some games, watch a movie or two and just enjoy it being the 4 of us for now. After 10, DH and I might stay up and enjoy the hot tub and fireworks that I think go off at Pikes Peak that we can see from where we are.

g-mama
12-30-2015, 08:12 PM
DH has to work (and has worked around the clock since 12/19 except on Christmas Day) :(. Oldest ds (15) is going to a party, so I'll have to stay awake to pick him up at 12:30. I'll rent a movie for me and my younger two boys. We may go out for dinner beforehand.

Kindra178
12-30-2015, 08:19 PM
We will have a pre-party at 3 pm, and then head to two more parties with kids. We will be home by 10.

lizzywednesday
12-30-2015, 09:25 PM
Live hockey with DH and DD.

bisous
12-30-2015, 10:38 PM
We're staying in. We declined invites because we have sick kids but also just really need the family togetherness time! Kids can stay up until they're annoying (2yo will go to bed on time, lol), DS3 (4) usually puts himself to bed when he's tired. That means DH and I can watch more big kid movies with the two older boys. We have a tradition of having cheese fondue and sparkling cider. :)

solsister
12-31-2015, 03:56 AM
We are having a party for neighbors. We are putting lights on our back hill, and there will be sledding!
Lots of appetizers and drinks. Board games and movies for kids. Should be fun and low key.

HannaAddict
12-31-2015, 04:56 AM
Skiing tomorrow with friends that are staying with us at our mountain place then cassoulet etc. and to a bonfire in the snow and fireworks show put on by friends. With all 6 kids along (3 kids each). We've had kid friendly parties too. Last time they did the bonfire and fireworks they waited until
Midnight and could t believe the kids made it, this year going to shoot things off earlier like 9-9:30 so much better for all. Happy New Years!

klwa
12-31-2015, 08:35 AM
We're driving to my dad's house today so we can do our family Christmas tomorrow. No real plans for this evening. It may depend on if my brothers have plans. If not, we'll probably end up at one of their houses just hanging out.

zukeypur
12-31-2015, 10:23 AM
Probably nothing, since I have pink eye AGAIN. :(

If my eye is clearing up this evening, we might go to the town square. I'm sure something is happening there. (We have an adorable town square with several restaurants and two wineries)