PDA

View Full Version : Amniotic sac detached from uterine wall?

AngB
12-31-2015, 05:42 PM
Has anyone had this or know someone? My friend is 14 weeks pregnant with a healthy boy per her bloodwork, but has been bleeding and when they did an ultrasound this is what they found. Her amniotic fluid levels are fine and cervix is closed but it sounds like the odds of the baby surviving this aren't great or maybe we are just finding the worst/expecting the worst since we both have histories with losses. Any experiences good or bad with this?

(Her last pregnancy was twins 5 yrs ago but their girl twin had trisomy 18 and was stillborn, then her husband passed away 6 months after, so she has had a very rough time, now this when she was finally pretty happy again. So good thoughts definitely appreciated!)

June update:

Thank you so much for keeping her in your thoughts! People have been asking for updates so I thought I would post the last update (also #17) here in case any one else goes through something similar:

She was induced yesterday and her baby boy arrived perfectly healthy, 9 lbs 7 oz, last evening!

After a pretty rough pregnancy, thankfully this has a happy conclusion.

petesgirl
12-31-2015, 05:48 PM
Oh, that sounds rough, after everything she has already gone through :/.
Sending virtual hugs to both of you!

ETA: is it a placental abruption, where the placenta is no longer attached?

trcy
01-01-2016, 09:41 PM
No experience with this but I hope all turns out well for her. I googled it and didn't find much, but it seems it can reattach and be fine. At least that is how I interpreted what I read.

AngB
01-01-2016, 10:17 PM
Oh, that sounds rough, after everything she has already gone through :/.
Sending virtual hugs to both of you!

ETA: is it a placental abruption, where the placenta is no longer attached?

No, I think the placenta is ok at least for now.

AngB
01-01-2016, 10:19 PM
No experience with this but I hope all turns out well for her. I googled it and didn't find much, but it seems it can reattach and be fine. At least that is how I interpreted what I read.

That's my understanding as well and I also had trouble finding much about it.

PZMommy
01-02-2016, 02:31 PM
I think as long as the sac stays in tact, things can turn out ok. I had a friend whose sac got a hole around 13 weeks. Sometimes tears can repair themself, but hers never did. They did a bunch of interventions trying to replenish the fluids, but she did not have a happy ending. I hope things turn out well for your friend!!

trcy
01-09-2016, 09:44 AM
OP, how is it going for your friend? Any updates?

AngB
01-09-2016, 01:52 PM
OP, how is it going for your friend? Any updates?

Thanks for checking. Not a lot has changed. She went back Tuesday, the tear was the same size, so good that it wasn't bigger I guess but she sounded discouraged it wasn't smaller. (Although I talked to a friend who is an obgyn NP and she said she wouldn't expect it to get smaller, that that doesn't mean much, it just needs to not get bigger.) She is still bleeding nonstop but the baby doesn't seem to be affected by it-he's measuring a week ahead, (15 wks now) and her fluid levels are still good. Her doctor basically told her he expects it will either reattach and be fine, or tear off completely and the baby will die, so they just have to wait and see. :( She goes back again this week.

trcy
01-09-2016, 04:16 PM
Thanks for checking. Not a lot has changed. She went back Tuesday, the tear was the same size, so good that it wasn't bigger I guess but she sounded discouraged it wasn't smaller. (Although I talked to a friend who is an obgyn NP and she said she wouldn't expect it to get smaller, that that doesn't mean much, it just needs to not get bigger.) She is still bleeding nonstop but the baby doesn't seem to be affected by it-he's measuring a week ahead, (15 wks now) and her fluid levels are still good. Her doctor basically told her he expects it will either reattach and be fine, or tear off completely and the baby will die, so they just have to wait and see. :( She goes back again this week. How terrible for her, I can't imagine the stress she must be feeling. Hopefully she gets some good news this week.

PZMommy
01-31-2016, 07:28 PM
How is she doing??

AngB
01-31-2016, 10:27 PM
How is she doing??

Pretty much the same. She's almost 18 weeks now, still constantly bleeding, tear is still there, hasn't gotten worse, maybe a tiny bit smaller. The baby is still doing great (measuring almost a week ahead) and her amniotic fluid levels are ok so it sounds like her doctor is cautiously optimistic that as the baby grows it will push the sac back to where it should be attached and it will reattach. Thanks for asking/thinking of her!

trcy
03-14-2016, 02:40 PM
Pretty much the same. She's almost 18 weeks now, still constantly bleeding, tear is still there, hasn't gotten worse, maybe a tiny bit smaller. The baby is still doing great (measuring almost a week ahead) and her amniotic fluid levels are ok so it sounds like her doctor is cautiously optimistic that as the baby grows it will push the sac back to where it should be attached and it will reattach. Thanks for asking/thinking of her!

OP, how is she doing? Hopefully things have improved.

AngB
03-14-2016, 03:36 PM
OP, how is she doing? Hopefully things have improved.

Thanks! Yes, she's in the clear now, no more bleeding and I think the tear resolved or at least they didn't mention it when she had the anatomy scan a few weeks ago. She's due at the end of June and I think 25-26 weeks now so hopefully the rest of her pregnancy will be drama free. Thanks for thinking of her!

trcy
03-14-2016, 03:43 PM
That's great!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

petesgirl
03-14-2016, 04:40 PM
Wahoo! Great news!

PZMommy
03-15-2016, 11:09 PM
Great news!!!!

AngB
06-17-2016, 10:33 AM
She was induced yesterday and her baby boy arrived perfectly healthy, 9 lbs 7 oz, last evening!

After a pretty rough pregnancy, thankfully this has a happy conclusion!

trcy
06-17-2016, 10:44 AM
Yay! Congrats to her! Thanks for updating!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

PZMommy
06-17-2016, 11:31 AM

After a pretty rough pregnancy, thankfully this has a happy conclusion!

Yay!! That is an impressive weight! So happy this turned out well for your friend!