PDA

View Full Version : Favorite board games or card games for 5 yr old?

Tammy
01-06-2016, 02:03 PM
DD has her 5th birthday soon and looking for recommendations for some board games? I've seen a lot of you mention Sorry! Any others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
01-06-2016, 02:08 PM
We don't do a lot of board games, to be honest, because I don't have the patience to clean them up.

HOWEVER, she has enjoyed Jumping Jack (http://www.goliathgames.us/product/jumping-jack/) and Pop the Pig (http://www.goliathgames.us/product/pop-the-pig/), both by Goliath Games.

We are also able to play UNO with her. You don't really have to recognize numbers to play because a lot of it is color matching, and it's great to have on hand because she'll grow into it.

She also played Headbanz (2nd edition) with her cousins - ages 13, 11, and 9 - and did very well, but I don't know that I'd recommend it for a newly-turned 5-year-old to play without a larger group like my DD had.

Tenasparkl
01-06-2016, 02:29 PM
At that age DD liked Sorry Sliders (like Sorry, but a little more fun), Sequence for Kids, Disney Jr. Scrabble Junior, and I think we were still playing Busytown Airport and Zingo

gobadgers
01-06-2016, 02:39 PM
Snack Attack, Guess Who, Sum Swamp, Mouse in the House, Too Many Monkeys

Mommaof3
01-07-2016, 09:44 AM
Ds loves playing Sorry, Uno, Jumping Jack, Zingo

mickminmom
01-07-2016, 11:32 AM
second the Sum Swamp, Uno and Busytown!

mikala
01-07-2016, 12:52 PM
Sum swamp
Sequence for kids
Busy town
Zingo
Spot it
Blokus

citymama
01-07-2016, 01:07 PM
Sleeping Queens
Moose in the House
Spot It
Rat A Tat Cat
Frog Juice

in that order. All Gamewright, compact games.

Pengaloo

rkold
01-08-2016, 03:05 PM
Mine is obsessed with checkers. I am not sure why.

She also likes Spot It and Go Fish, we have two different sets of Go Fish cards. We tried Uno in Hawaii, but she wasn't really feeling it, I am hoping to reintroduce it. I might look for a novelty version like Shopkins Uno, to see if that perks her interest.

She also plays the Pinkalicious game and CandyLand still.

SnuggleBuggles
01-08-2016, 07:13 PM
If you can find the Curious George Zoo game, that is the best ever!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Curious-George-Hide-And-Seek-Zoo-Board-Game-2008-I-Can-Do-That-Games-4-to-8-/272097175662?hash=item3f5a41686e:g:FWAAAOSwwPhWjWd c
same with Cranium Hullaballoo

Labyrinth Jr
Hoot Owl Hoot

lizzywednesday
01-08-2016, 07:51 PM

She also plays the Pinkalicious game and CandyLand still.

I think Candy Land is totally appropriate for age 5.

My sister loved it well into 1st grade.

My brother Joe loved Trouble and I think my DD would, too. That might be her birthday present.

rkold
01-08-2016, 11:58 PM
I think Candy Land is totally appropriate for age 5.

My sister loved it well into 1st grade.

My brother Joe loved Trouble and I think my DD would, too. That might be her birthday present.

Oh, I am sure it is age appropriate, she can just be a sore loser and we have 3 different versions of CandyLand. (regular, Disney, and "Kosherland" which might have been a gag gift.) It is played a lot along with various versions of Go Fish and checkers. We got her an app for checkers for her Tablet and she consistently beats the computer on easy. I think she wants to learn chess next, but I'm terrible at it, so it's harder.

lizzywednesday
01-11-2016, 03:12 PM
Oh, I am sure it is age appropriate, she can just be a sore loser and we have 3 different versions of CandyLand. (regular, Disney, and "Kosherland" which might have been a gag gift.) It is played a lot along with various versions of Go Fish and checkers. We got her an app for checkers for her Tablet and she consistently beats the computer on easy. I think she wants to learn chess next, but I'm terrible at it, so it's harder.

I'm awful at checkers, though I haven't played chess in a few years. Maybe we should swap kids? :wink2:

Charlie
01-11-2016, 07:03 PM

Check out No Stress Chess. I don't have it (yet ) but looks like an easy way to learn.

essnce629
01-11-2016, 10:00 PM
DS2 (6.5) has been playing Sorry, Monopoly Jr., Haba Keep it Steady, Guess Who, Haba Rainbow Timber, Suspend, Haba Highly Suspect, and Connect Four a lot over the past year.

essnce629
01-11-2016, 10:01 PM
Check out No Stress Chess. I don't have it (yet ) but looks like an easy way to learn.

Yes, DS1 learned how to play chess with No Stress Chess when he was 7.

wallawala
01-11-2016, 11:45 PM
We love suspend.

Just opened "Sleeping Queens" and "Moose the House" and DD who is 6 declared sleeping queens as " best game ever". Moose in the House got a shoulder shrug and a "eh, not so much". Direct quote. But it's day one!

I played sleeping queens with her tonight. Fun and Easy. I'd play it again and again.

I know it's a classic but CandyLand makes me want to eat raw worms and roll in tacks. Fortunately the two copies Grandma sent have mysteriously gotten lost.

citymama
01-12-2016, 01:07 AM
Sleeping Queens has been voted "best game ever" by several 5-7 year olds I know! I may need to get DD2 the new set of queens.

hellokitty
01-12-2016, 07:23 AM
Zingo, A snails pace, busytown, checkers, memory.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

acmom
01-12-2016, 11:01 AM
My kids (5.5 and 7) really like Uno, Spot It, Eye Found It Disney (which is a cooperative game), Yatzhee, Monopoly Jr., Sorry, Kerplunk, Jenga, Old Maid and Right, Left Center. We also just got Sleeping Queens and Rat A Tat Cat which have been hits so far too.

rkold
01-12-2016, 02:50 PM
I'm awful at checkers, though I haven't played chess in a few years. Maybe we should swap kids? :wink2:

I don't know if your DD would want to do that, we're all vegetarians :P It makes us only so popular. Though I bet your DD would love my doll collection. :D

Oh thanks! I will have to try that for her. I know a few of the basic moves and I can rock "One Night in Bangkok" but that is about the extent of my chess skills. (OK, I use to karaoke "Someone Else's Story" all the time...)

Anyone know any good kids Go programs? She likes the idea of a game with strategy and she wants to beat Mommy and Daddy without us cheating to let her win.