PDA

View Full Version : News crews invading our tiny town

lalasmama
01-16-2016, 01:50 AM
Local news crews are invading our town. We're a close-knit community. There's generally 2-degree-association with every person in this town. We have a family in great emotional pain.

... And all the local crews are here.

Just leave our town alone and let us grieve our town's loss in peace! Don't go looking for people who knew him. Is this what you would do if it was your family? Your neighborhood kid?

Thanks for letting me vent. Clearly, the news cameras at the Mexican place we went for dinner rubbed me the wrong way.

Liziz
01-16-2016, 04:22 PM
My heart goes out to people who suffer a loss or tragedy of some sort, then are hounded by "rubberneckers" about it. I hope that family and your town gets some peace soon.

dowlinal
01-16-2016, 04:29 PM
I've been in your shoes and it's horrible. They filmed me sobbing, while the son I was holding tried to comfort me and my daughters were hugging me. They were vultures who just couldn't let us grieve in privacy.

I'm sorry for your town's loss.

rkold
01-16-2016, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry for your town's loss. We had many news crews camped out in the town next door for over a week and it was just awful and made things only harder for everyone.

Kestrel
01-17-2016, 09:05 PM
I'm so sorry! New crews can be awful - leaving trash all over, tromping on lawns, shining lights on people's faces... generally being extremely rude.

I hope the local police are helping the family in question keep crews off the property.

jgenie
01-17-2016, 09:53 PM
Our neighbors had a tragedy. I came home to find police cars and news crews lined up on our street. They were here for a week. We had a crew come to our yard when they saw us playing outside.

swissair81
01-18-2016, 10:07 AM
I remember a family on our block had a tragedy in their house when I was little. The news was there and I asked them why they didn't leave the people alone so they could deal with their grief. The very brusque answer was that the public has a right to know! I said the public doesn't care and they'd prefer you leave these people alone and I left with them kind of gaping after me. Not that it made a difference, but I had said my piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lalasmama
01-19-2016, 10:49 PM
3 days later, and the local news stations aren't staying here any more. I feel bad, but I'm glad we're now "old news."

lizzywednesday
01-20-2016, 02:35 PM
When I was in high school, I had a similar experience with local news crews. They'd been kicked off school grounds, but circled a nearby pizza place looking for a sound byte or something from one of the kids at the school.

If I hadn't had two of my friends with me, I think I'd have punched them. I'd just sung at the kid's funeral.

Sending hugs.