PDA

View Full Version : Best Philly attractions for kids (in the winter)?

acmom
01-17-2016, 09:17 AM
As I said in my Great Wolf thread, after researching lots of warm weather options, we may just end up doing a driving trip to PA/Philly/Great Wolf trip in Feb bc of changing airfare and availability.

We have some family and friends in the greater Philly/DE/Lancaster area so we would arrange to meet up with them. We would also be planning an IKEA run on the trip. Aside from those, we would be looking for one or two fun Philly area activities for the kids (5 and 7). What would be your top picks? (Not sure where we will be staying yet...open to both in city and outside the city options).

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

gymnbomb
01-17-2016, 09:32 AM
Franklin Institute if they are into that kind of thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

acmom
01-17-2016, 10:30 AM
Franklin Institute if they are into that kind of thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That was definitely on our list of possibilities...I have read such mixed things about how old kids need to be to enjoy it. Any opinions on if 5 and 7 would be too young? They are in K and 2nd and both can read and do enjoy science-y stuff (but not "super" into it as some kids are) if that makes a difference.

Philly Mom
01-17-2016, 11:13 AM
That was definitely on our list of possibilities...I have read such mixed things about how old kids need to be to enjoy it. Any opinions on if 5 and 7 would be too young? They are in K and 2nd and both can read and do enjoy science-y stuff (but not "super" into it as some kids are) if that makes a difference.

They will like it. Even at 2.5 my DD1 enjoyed it. Our 4.5 yo neighbors are members. We also like the natural science center but much smaller. We also like the zoo and aquarium. Other places that are fun are either Jenkins or Tyler Arboretum. Look them both up. Also the battleship New Jersey. If they are familiar with any art, the Barnes is mainly impressionists.

gymnbomb
01-17-2016, 11:14 AM

I have actually only been there as an adult, so I will defer to others on that part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acmom
01-17-2016, 11:31 AM
They will like it. Even at 2.5 my DD1 enjoyed it. Our 4.5 yo neighbors are members. We also like the natural science center but much smaller. We also like the zoo and aquarium. Other places that are fun are either Jenkins or Tyler Arboretum. Look them both up. Also the battleship New Jersey. If they are familiar with any art, the Barnes is mainly impressionists.

Thanks! How long would you plan for Franklin Institute? (We are considering a hotel within walking distance). We would possibly consider the aquarium and/or zoo if time permitted...any preference of those 2?

boolady
01-17-2016, 02:34 PM
Thanks! How long would you plan for Franklin Institute? (We are considering a hotel within walking distance). We would possibly consider the aquarium and/or zoo if time permitted...any preference of those 2?

We were recently at the FI. We live locally, but I had never been with DD- my sister lives in the city and had taken her twice before. Even with DD having been there in August, we were there for a good 5.5 hours, at least. Younger kids might move through some of the areas more quickly. It also depends on whether you do a planetarium show or not. We had to wait in line for approx 25 mins, then the show was about 1/2 hour. We all really enjoyed it. The FI is great.

Philly Mom
01-17-2016, 02:41 PM
We were recently at the FI. We live locally, but I had never been with DD- my sister lives in the city and had taken her twice before. Even with DD having been there in August, we were there for a good 5.5 hours, at least. Younger kids might move through some of the areas more quickly. It also depends on whether you do a planetarium show or not. We had to wait in line for approx 25 mins, then the show was about 1/2 hour. We all really enjoyed it. The FI is great.

If you do the planetarium, which you should, add an hour. 3 hours probably otherwise.

nfceagles
01-17-2016, 04:08 PM
There is also the Please Touch Museum. My kids LOVED it at that age. I'd choose the aquarium over the zoo given the season.

nfceagles
01-17-2016, 04:14 PM
I also think my kids MIGHT have preferred the Natural History Museum at that age. The Franklin Institute is great but I think the animals and dinosaurs were more young kid friendly. I could be wrong though. Both are great.

We've also done the US Mint and had fun, but I wouldn't do it over other things. We visit family in the area a lot.

Independence Hall and the all its surroundings are great, but maybe not for winter. My kids like to do the he ranger program.

Mikey0709
01-17-2016, 05:22 PM
We have a membership to FI. Loveeee it. My kids have been going since walking. (We live in the suburbs so we go a few times a year). The do specifically have a hands on room for younger kids under 8 I think/ but we love the whole place. Very hands on. We have a membership to academy of science also, but prefer FI. More to touch and hit buttons. Id say at least 2-3 hours for a first trip, my kids would be pooped after that long. Zoo is great for good weather, my kids also loveeeeee the please touch museum. My 10 yeAr old would still go, but I would say that is the top age for there. Play based there... Can get crowded on weekends!

Camden acq also nice.... Smaller aquarium. Battleship NJ I think is better for older kids.

If your close to Lancaster, how about a trip to Hershey Choc factory or turkey hill experience???

Philly Mom
01-17-2016, 05:23 PM

In choosing between zoo and aquarium, I would look at the weather. I love the zoo in the winter on a non rainy day. Lots of animals are out and about and it is not nearly as crowded. There is also an indoor play area and the kid zoo which has an indoor area. There are lots of indoor areas at the zoo. On a bitter cold or rainy day I prefer the aquarium.

acmom
01-17-2016, 05:44 PM
Thanks all! We have taken the kids to Philly over the summer recently and did a lot of walking around the city then, as well as the Please Touch Museum, Smith Play Place, and the zoo. All were great! This time we were hoping to throw in something new which is why we were looking at the FI and sounds like it would be worth it. Kids love animals so repeating the zoo or doing the aquarium would both be great options too depending on weather and time. And thanks for the Lancaster area ideas too - both sound fun!

How far is the aquarium from Philly?

Philly Mom
01-17-2016, 06:28 PM
Thanks all! We have taken the kids to Philly over the summer recently and did a lot of walking around the city then, as well as the Please Touch Museum, Smith Play Place, and the zoo. All were great! This time we were hoping to throw in something new which is why we were looking at the FI and sounds like it would be worth it. Kids love animals so repeating the zoo or doing the aquarium would both be great options too depending on weather and time. And thanks for the Lancaster area ideas too - both sound fun!

How far is the aquarium from Philly?

On weekend or not during rush hour, 10 minutes. Just on other side of Ben Franklin bridge. The USS New Jersey is right there too.

DualvansMommy
01-17-2016, 07:56 PM
In choosing between zoo and aquarium, I would look at the weather. I love the zoo in the winter on a non rainy day. Lots of animals are out and about and it is not nearly as crowded. There is also an indoor play area and the kid zoo which has an indoor area. There are lots of indoor areas at the zoo. On a bitter cold or rainy day I prefer the aquarium.

I agree with that! We were just at the Zoo one week day between Xmas and NYE week and it was perfect for us.

I would do touch me museum and FI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
01-19-2016, 02:10 PM

I took DD to the Franklin Institute in July when Wawa opened it for free (they rotate through the museums during 4th of July week) and she didn't want to leave!! She will be 6 in March.

DEFINITELY go to the FI!! There are a lot of great exhibits, including a walk-through heart that DD was very excited about. Because it was mobbed, we did not do a planetarium show, but we did manage to see quite a lot of the museum.

We have also been to the Academy of Natural Sciences (again, thanks to Wawa during 4th of July week) and do like it a lot, but I think I wouldn't have been as excited about it if I'd had to pay admission. It's more compact than FI, which is nice, but the collection is very nicely laid out, so that makes up for quite a lot.

lizzywednesday
01-19-2016, 02:14 PM

Battleship NJ I think is better for older kids.

We took DD to Battleship NJ last summer - it was open with no additional fee during Tall Ships Philadelphia/Camden - and she did get a wee bit bored with it despite my managing to snap a cute photo of her taking a snooze in a crewman's rack.

I do not recommend it if you are claustrophobic, though it'd be worth a trip when your kids are a bit older.