PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC in February

jayali
01-19-2016, 12:26 PM
We are heading to Washington for February break. We thought instead of spending money on a ski vacation, that could be snowless, we would take advantage of the warmer weather in the NE and book Washington. Of course now it is freezing and skiing is looking like a better option, but (sigh) we are already booked, so now changing it now.

DS is almost 12 and has never been to DC. DH and I have not been in almost 20 years. We are staying at the Ritz Carlton (on points) and so far the only plans we have is for the Georgetown game on Tuesday night. We have the Holocaust Museum, the Spy Museum and most of the museums on our list.

We are trying to get a tour of the White House and to meet with our Senator, but our connection hasn't come through yet, so we want to make sure we have something a little bit different on our list. Can any of you DC mommas familiar with the area, where we are staying, recommend something that is not listed in any of the travel books?

Any dinner suggestions will be helpful as well.

TIA!

egoldber
01-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Just be aware that February (typically around President's Day weekend) tends to be our snowiest time of year. And the city basically shuts down for more than a couple inches.

jayali
01-21-2016, 10:58 AM
You know it is going to snow because we am coming! UGH, we usually go skiing, but thought we would take advantage of the mild winter and a deal with our points. Well at least we will be in a nice hotel if it does snow.

TwinFoxes
01-21-2016, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't recommend DC in February. When Beth says the city shuts down, it really shuts down. Like, good luck getting room service if none of the kitchen staff make it in for work.

Here's an example. They've already announced Metro will be closed all weekend. And no buses. So, yeah, it will suck if there's a storm when you're here.

April is lovely though!

SnuggleBuggles
01-21-2016, 11:09 PM
I've gone in February before and had great weather (better than some of our March or November visits). It's always a gamble wrt bad weather shutting things down but it's a mellow time to visit. Just have to decide if you're up for the gamble. Fwiw, we just had 50s in Baltimore last weekend...and this weekend is crazy snow. You just can't predict.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayali
02-08-2016, 03:28 PM
OK, so the long range outlook for the weather looks like it will be OK to go ahead with our trip. The temps look to mid-40s with a slight possibility of rain each day. Nothing terrible that would prevent us from coming. So far we have booked an evening tour of the monuments and we have tickets to the Georgetown vs. Seton Hall game.

Is there anything, that we can't find in our guide books that we should consider? My son is 11 and this is his first trip.

TIA

SnuggleBuggles
02-08-2016, 03:38 PM
This is always one of my favorite exhibits http://www.mnh.si.edu/exhibits/natures-best-2015/ It's at the Natural History museum. Make sure it's on your list. :)

We all like getting food at the Museum of the American Indian. Best museum food around. If you can't make it for a meal, grab a snack of fry bread and honey later.

Riding the Metro is always enjoyed by my kid, like more than some attractions.

Do you have your tickets to the Spy Museum? You need them.

rlu
02-08-2016, 04:52 PM
Not a DC momma, but have been there twice - once around your DC age.

Pandas at the National Zoo? Not sure how they behave in cold weather. When I was there in April 1983 the pair were older and slept the whole time. For me, Pandas would be a priority, for DH and DS (almost 12) not so much.

We haven't taken DS to DC yet. We're thinking to take my niece (going on 23) when we go since she hasn't been either. For DS at age 12 we would include the Spy Museum, the FBI building, all the memorials (day and night are different experiences for most), up the Washington Monument if they let you again (I did in 1983, I think it was closed in April 2001 when DH and I went), various Smithsonian museums but esp Air and Space, Pentagon if they are allowing visitors, Mint, Library of congress (awesome ceiling), Supreme Court (nothing allowed inside so DH held our stuff while I took a look, and I don't think DS would really care either way). There's more and all of this is probably in your books anyway. TBH not sure DS (or I) could handle the Holocaust Museum.

DH and I found meaning walking from Arlington to the Lincoln Memorial over the bridge YMMV. We also spent time reflecting in the Navy memorial as both our fathers and various relatives served in either the Navy or other branches of service.

I was in 8th grade in 1983 (so 13yo) and you have never seen 30 teens look more solemn than viewing and touching the Wall in the rain. It stands out in my memory first and foremost when I think of that trip. Then Air and Space museum and also seeing the Hope Diamond.

food - back in 2001 DH and I ate at Fuddruckers which we don't have locally. Nothing fancy but we thought it was ok. That was also our introduction to Popeye's (which has since opened up here) and their wonderful biscuits (there was one down the street from Fords Theater) but you know, it's chicken and biscuits, so a quick meal, not a "dinner".

TwinFoxes
02-15-2016, 10:57 AM
As I sit here with wind chills near zero all weekend, ice last Friday, and now a big snow storm today, I am curious if you're here Jayali? I'm wondering if you canceled? Either way, stay warm!!

egoldber
02-15-2016, 01:36 PM
I was thinking about you too!