PDA

View Full Version : Just gotta get it out-- I hate hypocrisy!!!

2ndtimearound
01-22-2016, 01:52 AM
I have a friend who has a "live simply so others may simply live" outlook on life. She's a radical liberal, a minimalist, reduce-reuse-recycle queen. She and I get along for many reasons, but one common bond was that we both live pretty simple lives in part because of our outlook, but also because -- even tho we are professionals married to other professionals, we are in helping professions/public sector, and so we are on the "bottom end" of the SES given where we live. In sum, we understood where the other one was coming from when other people around us didn't especially where money (or the lack of it) was concerned. She has even criticized a 3rd friend of ours (behind her back, to me) who has money as being a snob and ostentatious. I just let it go with a simple, "I see your point; please pass the bean dip..."

Well, now the tides have changed. She has unexpectedly come into money and in the space of a week they have decided to move from a condo (very nice condo) to a house. But not just any house. A million dollar house-on-the-hill. And she wants to give me the play-by-play. She is so excited to be able to post on fb that she will be moving into 3rd Friend's neighborhood. It's so obvious!!! This was the woman she supposedly criticized for being over-the-top in displaying her trappings of wealth, including the house she lives in, and now she is all excited to be her next door neighbor. Sheesh! She doesn't even try to hide it. And she wants to tell me all about the new house's luxuries and post pictures of all the dumpy houses they have seen in their search. Those dumpy houses (powder blue bathtub, anyone?) look pretty much like my house. Wow, this sucks. I actually liked her.

Philly Mom
01-22-2016, 05:41 AM
That is awful!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

Corie
01-22-2016, 12:29 PM
I would call her out on it. But that's just me. :)

Simon
01-22-2016, 12:38 PM
Money changes people. I'm sorry it led your friend to an about face. That does stink!

Pennylane
01-22-2016, 12:41 PM
Sounds like she was just putting down the people who actually had what she always wanted. I agree with Corie, I would totally call her out on it!

She's not one of the powerball winners is she[emoji12]??

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

BunnyBee
01-22-2016, 12:49 PM
Oh that's terrible! We posted lots of terrible house pictures when we last house-hunted, but they were of things like an entire basement filled with black lights and inflatable mattresses. I would completely call her out. "Hey, did you look at my house? Is it for sale?" Ugh!!!

hellokitty
01-22-2016, 05:51 PM
Ugh, something similar happened to a friend, so ikwym. She woulf make all kinds of critical comments about another friend who was more well off than us... but as soon as her dh got a new job, they went all out bought the biggest house that they could afford in a well to do neighborhood. I felt like she had sour grapes, since she obviously had no problem buying the big house in the nice neighborhood when the opportunity came up for herself, but not for others. I have no problem with someone moving up in the world, but yes, the hypocrisy is the worst part.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk