PDA

View Full Version : Stages of puberty in girls - how long from breast buds to periods?

citymama
01-22-2016, 06:00 AM
Literally from one day to the next, DD1 appears to be developing breast buds. She told me this evening it hurt under one of her "breasts" (totally flat chest). Sure enough, there was a little hard bump on one side, and I'm guessing this is the very first sign of puberty. She's about 6 weeks from her 10th birthday. I can't recall what the speed/sequence of puberty is and how soon to expect more significant changes like actual breasts, pubic/armpit hair and her period. I remember having minuscule breast buds at 10 and my period started at 11.5 which felt a bit earlier than other girls in my class.

For those of you whose daughters developed breast buds at about this age, how long till their period and first bra?

DD is pretty tall - 56 inches and about 65 lbs, slim but not skinny like her sister. She has a healthy appetite and is physically very active.

She's read the AG "care and keeping of you" book and "It's not the Stork" but I'm embarrassed to say we haven't actually talked about periods and the birds and bees. Guess I'd better get moving on that!

Would love any btdt perspectives on the puberty road ahead!

jren
01-22-2016, 09:53 AM
It was nearly two years for my DD from breast buds to period. She had pubic/armpit hair at age 6 (which apparently is completely unrelated to start of menstruation), breast buds at 8, period at 10. She was over 5 feet tall and 100 pounds when she started her period. Started wearing a bra way before that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgiegirl
01-22-2016, 10:03 AM
My DD is the exact same age (turns 10 in March), and she started with breast buds last spring. No sign of pubic or armpit hair. I've heard two years from breastbuds to period. I just hope DDs doesn't arrive until late March of 2017 so she doesn't get it during swim season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dogmom
01-22-2016, 10:50 AM
Might prove helpful
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanner_scale

citymama
01-22-2016, 06:09 PM
Thanks all!

It was nearly two years for my DD from breast buds to period. She had pubic/armpit hair at age 6 (which apparently is completely unrelated to start of menstruation), breast buds at 8, period at 10. She was over 5 feet tall and 100 pounds when she started her period. Started wearing a bra way before that though.

So how long after breast buds appear do they start needing a bra? I was thinking I should buy some camis for DD to have in case she ever wants them - as I said, currently her chest looks completely like a little kid, but I am guessing that will (gradually??) change.

Twoboos
01-22-2016, 07:15 PM
I'll let you know. DD1 is 12, got buds maybe 1.5-2 years ago, she's 5'4" and 110lbs, no period yet. Probably happening any minute now though.

We got DD1 the cami-type bras about a 1.5 years ago. She still wears those although she could probably move onto more formed ones.

egoldber
01-22-2016, 07:32 PM
It was about 2 years for older DD as well.

She started wearing a bra about a year before that, more for the headlights issue that she found super embarrassing.

Katigre
01-22-2016, 07:37 PM
Nearly 3 years from buds in 4th grade to period in 7th grade.

erosenst
01-22-2016, 08:55 PM
In broad theory, two years from buds, a year from hair. DD was longer than that - more like 2.5+ years and 18+ months. Having said that, there is some stuff I read that if under 100 pounds it's often delayed - independent of if under 100 pounds is a healthy weight or not. (DD has been 50th percentile weight and 25th percentile height since she was born. She has always looked slimmer than that, but is only 4' 11" at 12, is viewed by most as 'generally petite' - and still only 93 pounds.)

On the bras - DD started with just a cami, which was enough to provide another layer. She, and most of her friends, progressed to camis with a shelf bra (the junior ones at Target are the best we've found) and sports bras. Even though she's now a B cup, she only wears a 'real' bra under dresses - and they're still pretty stretchy.

DD has the Care and Keeping of You books. Very much her personality to want to read them alone, which she did. As she 'developed' more I bought all the supplies and we talked about them. When she got her period, she took care of everything. I told her the next day that I was a little sad she hadn't told me; she was confused as she knew what to do and took care of it. Made me feel much better that it was 'I was ready/knew what to do' not 'you would make too big of a deal, etc.' DD also found a video on YouTube - guessing it was created by a company, but was very factual and she liked it.

Green_Tea
01-22-2016, 09:10 PM
In broad theory, two years from buds, a year from hair. DD was longer than that - more like 2.5+ years and 18+ months. Having said that, there is some stuff I read that if under 100 pounds it's often delayed - independent of if under 100 pounds is a healthy weight or not. (DD has been 50th percentile weight and 25th percentile height since she was born. She has always looked slimmer than that, but is only 4' 11" at 12, is viewed by most as 'generally petite' - and still only 93 pounds.)

If you have a sec, could you post some links on this? My oldest will be 13 next week, but is very petite (less than 90 lbs, currently, and well under 5 ft.) She has some health issues that may also delay her period, but am wondering about the weight connection...

erosenst
01-22-2016, 10:55 PM
I'm on my phone so it's hard to link...but Google "first period 100 pounds " and a bunch of stuff will come up.

Sorry I'm not more helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

citymama
01-22-2016, 11:48 PM
I'll let you know. DD1 is 12, got buds maybe 1.5-2 years ago, she's 5'4" and 110lbs, no period yet. Probably happening any minute now though.

We got DD1 the cami-type bras about a 1.5 years ago. She still wears those although she could probably move onto more formed ones.

Thank you all! Twoboos, I had searched the boards and you posted about 2 years ago to say your DD had just developed buds at 9.75 - I was hoping you'd reply since that's just about my DDs age. They all grow differently but this is good to know.

Re weight: I got my period at 11.5 and I was definitely under 100 lbs - I don't think I crossed 100 lbs till 18! But my mom and sister did at that same age, so there's a clear genetic component. DHs family may have a different timeline, though...

urquie
01-23-2016, 12:11 AM
We got DD1 the cami-type bras about a 1.5 years ago. She still wears those although she could probably move onto more formed ones..

Do you recall the brand?

DD also found a video on YouTube - guessing it was created by a company, but was very factual and she liked it.

Any chance you can find out what video it was? This sounds like it would be very helpful to DD.

Twoboos
01-23-2016, 12:59 PM
Thank you all! Twoboos, I had searched the boards and you posted about 2 years ago to say your DD had just developed buds at 9.75 - I was hoping you'd reply since that's just about my DDs age. They all grow differently but this is good to know.

Re weight: I got my period at 11.5 and I was definitely under 100 lbs - I don't think I crossed 100 lbs till 18! But my mom and sister did at that same age, so there's a clear genetic component. DHs family may have a different timeline, though...

Apparently I could have checked here to see when she got buds LOL!! :rotflmao:

I got my period on the morning of my 12th birthday (what a gift) so I am expecting her to get it any time now.

Urquie she first got the cami bras from Nordstrom, I think the Tucker & Tate brand. (MIL bought them for her - shouldn't that have been me?? :irked: ) Now I just get them wherever, like TJMaxx or Target.

Mommaof3
01-23-2016, 05:27 PM
It was about 2 years for older DD as well.

She started wearing a bra about a year before that, more for the headlights issue that she found super embarrassing.

Same for my DD

jenmcadams
01-25-2016, 06:18 PM
My DD got breast buds in 5th grade (age 10), pubic hair in 7th and just started her period (8th grade age 13)

mom2binsd
01-27-2016, 04:47 PM
DD got buds at about 7.5, period right after her 11th birthday. The thing that will really let you know that her period is coming is the discharge will increase.

I found that they needed a bra earlier to deal with the pointy buds more than anything, we wore a lot of patterned tops in those days!

klwa
03-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Nearly 3 years from buds in 4th grade to period in 7th grade.
:yeahthat: My girls aren't old enough to know for them, but I remember getting a "training bra" in 4th due to budding, and then getting my period in 7th.

citymama
03-04-2016, 02:47 PM
Thanks klwa, for restarting this thread! I had a question for moms about crop tops or pre-training bras and where you get them. DD1 is totally built like a little kid still, but she *loves* wearing the Hanna camis I got her. I think it's more psychological than actually needed but it makes her feel grown up. ;)

She is asking for camis that look like bras (lol) so I am thinking something like these Boden crop tops (http://www.bodenusa.com/en-us/girls-9-16yrs-underwear/69015/girls-9-16yrs-3-pack-sporty-crop-tops) but less expensive!

MommyAllison
03-04-2016, 04:52 PM
Thanks klwa, for restarting this thread! I had a question for moms about crop tops or pre-training bras and where you get them. DD1 is totally built like a little kid still, but she *loves* wearing the Hanna camis I got her. I think it's more psychological than actually needed but it makes her feel grown up. ;)

She is asking for camis that look like bras (lol) so I am thinking something like these Boden crop tops (http://www.bodenusa.com/en-us/girls-9-16yrs-underwear/69015/girls-9-16yrs-3-pack-sporty-crop-tops) but less expensive!
Dd1 really likes these from H&M, and they are super cheap! http://m.hm.com/us/product/00141?article=00141-A They have a couple other styles as well.

citymama
03-04-2016, 06:28 PM
Dd1 really likes these from H&M, and they are super cheap! http://m.hm.com/us/product/00141?article=00141-A They have a couple other styles as well.

Cute - she'd love these! I'm shaking my head though though because these look like bras and she is like an ironing board! (And also she's my little baby girl...)

Twoboos
03-05-2016, 12:15 PM
You could check out the selection at Target. I tend to stay away from the ones with the removable pads. I've gotten DD ones from Hanes.

http://www.target.com/c/underwear-bras-girls-clothing/-/N-5xtvp#navigation=true&category=3906&view_type=large&sort_by=newest&facets=d_size_grouping%3AKids+(4-16)%7Cd_item_type_all%3Agirls+bras&offset=0&pageCount=30&page=1&response_group=Items%2CVariationSummary&zone=PLP&isLeaf=false&custom_price=false&min_price=from&max_price=to

DD2 just asked when she could start wearing a bra. Her chest is hurting so breast buds are coming. She's 10.5. <sniffle> I told her I'd look through DD1's old ones, LOL!

Twoboos
04-14-2016, 06:58 AM
I know this thread is old but I wanted to update. DD1 got her period this morning. (You're the first ones I've told! ;) ) She was ok, a little teary, tossed the underwear, lol. She's more concerned about having it next week at Universal, "How will I go in the pool?!?" But I assured her it will be done by then.

She's almost 12.5. I was really hoping she'd make it to 13.

jren
04-14-2016, 09:49 AM
I know this thread is old but I wanted to update. DD1 got her period this morning. (You're the first ones I've told! ;) ) She was ok, a little teary, tossed the underwear, lol. She's more concerned about having it next week at Universal, "How will I go in the pool?!?" But I assured her it will be done by then.

Not to scare you, but my DD's first period lasted over two months! Had to put her on the pill to stop it. I would take some tampons just in case. At 12.5, she may want to give them a try. My DD didn't like them, and chose to sit out of the pool instead, but she was only 10.

citymama
04-14-2016, 11:42 AM

Aww, congrats to your DD! Big milestone for you too, mama.

Twoboos
04-14-2016, 04:06 PM
Not to scare you, but my DD's first period lasted over two months! Had to put her on the pill to stop it. I would take some tampons just in case. At 12.5, she may want to give them a try. My DD didn't like them, and chose to sit out of the pool instead, but she was only 10.

Oh yikes! That would be bad. I'll take some jr's with me.

mom2binsd
04-14-2016, 04:31 PM
Oh yikes! That would be bad. I'll take some jr's with me.

Yup, seems that periods like to make their appearance at wonderful times, DD was the week of swim conference, so Tampons it was from day 1. MY BFF's DD got hers the morning of a major gymnastics meet, no way to wear a pad or skip the meet. It's totally doable to have a 12 year old put one in, just takes a little patience.

AnnieW625
04-15-2016, 09:33 PM
I got my pubic hair and my breast buds about the same time when I was 11, and I honestly can't remember which one I got first. I got my period a year later when I was 12 yrs. and a month. I started wearing a training bra when I was 11 almost 12. I was 106lbs and 4'11" when I got my period. My mom told me she was 13 and about 5'6" and 125lbs when she got her period, and my sister was 14 and about the same size as well my mom. My mom said she needed a regular b cup bra by 13 at the latest. My sister and I were in our late teens before we needed anything with support, I was a 36A and even now my sister is barely an A cup.

I was 16 before I was comfortable enough to use tampons so it might take some time.

My DD1 did ask for training bra the other day (a week after turning 10) because she said all of the girls have them, but then after talking we decided that it was really only two or three girls who had them and really needed one; however maybe we should look at the cropped ones like the H&M or Target ones that were linked up thread.