PDA

View Full Version : Road trip to Toronto via Montreal

maestramommy
01-29-2016, 10:30 PM
We are wanting to take a road trip to Toronto, Canada, via Montreal, both ways if possible. This trip is last week of April. So, a couple of questions:

1) family friendly (for bigger families) hotels in Montreal and Toronto?
2) Fun things to do? I know there is a zoo in Montreal and we definitely plan to hit that.

Dh and I would love to visit outdoorsy places unless the weather is bad. If it is, are there museums that are fun for the tween set?

My parents will be coming on this trip. Part of the time they will be visiting cousins in Toronto, but in Montreal they will be with us. My dad is 84 and has moderate Alzheimer's. And doesn't move very fast. So it would be good to have some indoor options because he feels the cold, and I'm not sure what the weather is like at that time of year.

pastrygirl
01-30-2016, 09:16 AM
I LOVED our stay at Le Square Phillips in Montreal. The rooms are HUGE, and we were upgraded to a family suite for free, which was bigger than most of the apartments I've lived in!

mm123
01-31-2016, 07:51 AM
I'm not so familiar with Montreal, but Toronto has tons of fun things to do. Just off the top of my head, here are some kid-friendly sites you could check out:

CN Tower
Ripley's Aquarium
Walk or boat ride along Harbourfront
Toronto Zoo
Royal Ontario Museum (ROM)
Ontario Science Centre
Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO)- right in Chinatown
Blackcreek Pioneer Village
Hockey Hall of Fame
Legoland (indoors)
Canada's Wonderland- huge amusement park

Our favourite summer activity in Toronto is to take the ferry (15 min) to Centre Island and spend the day. You can go to Centreville amusement park, and there's also a ton of beautiful park/green areas. There's a beach, splash pad, playground, and you can also take a little train ride, or rent bikes.

mom2binsd
01-31-2016, 12:55 PM
If you're hockey fans, in Toronto there's the Hockey Hall of Fame.
A Blue Jays game if they're in town.
CN tower, if they're big enough there's a scary outside thrill experience.

In Montreal, take a horse drawn carriage ride in Old Montreal.
I'd PM Montrealmom and see what she suggests, it's been ages since I was in Montreal.

The drive from Montreal to Toronto will be about 6 hours, maybe more if you hit any traffic. There are lots of places to eat right off the 401(you don't really even leave the highway), so you can make frequent stops if needed.

Check your cellphone plans, and if needed make sure everyone turns off their data etc and use wifi, some families come home to a very HUGE cellphone bill.

Your dollar will go far, the Canadian loonie is worth about .68 right now!

Eat some POUTINE, my kids eat it every chance we get when we go to Canada in the summer.

mom2binsd
02-01-2016, 05:56 PM
If the weather is warm your kids would love Upper Canada Village, it's on the way between Montreal and Toronto, closure to Montreal. It's a pioneer village, really fun.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk