PDA

View Full Version : Road trip stops

KrystalS
01-30-2016, 11:35 AM
Is there a website where I can put in our road trip route and it will tell me fun places to stop with kids? This summer we are traveling to visit my DH's family in Oregon. We will be driving from Oklahoma. Our route there will be Oklahoma, NM, Utah, Idaho, Oregon. If anyone knows any fun places. Our route back we are planning to drive through California because our kids have never been and we want to find somewhere fun to stop for several days since this is our big vacation for the summer. We went to Disney last summer but we've never been to Disneyland and are considering that. I know its far out of the way for us, but we likely will never travel this way again while our kids are young. I've also considered Legoland because my DS is a huge Lego fan, but I've read it's not that fun for older kids. What other amusement type places should I consider in California or is Disneyland the best? My kids LOVE Disney and my DD likes rollercoasters.

We are planning to stop at the Grand Canyon, any other major landmarks we should consider?

rkold
01-30-2016, 01:28 PM
Is there a website where I can put in our road trip route and it will tell me fun places to stop with kids? This summer we are traveling to visit my DH's family in Oregon. We will be driving from Oklahoma. Our route there will be Oklahoma, NM, Utah, Idaho, Oregon. If anyone knows any fun places. Our route back we are planning to drive through California because our kids have never been and we want to find somewhere fun to stop for several days since this is our big vacation for the summer. We went to Disney last summer but we've never been to Disneyland and are considering that. I know its far out of the way for us, but we likely will never travel this way again while our kids are young. I've also considered Legoland because my DS is a huge Lego fan, but I've read it's not that fun for older kids. What other amusement type places should I consider in California or is Disneyland the best? My kids LOVE Disney and my DD likes rollercoasters.

We are planning to stop at the Grand Canyon, any other major landmarks we should consider?

I don't know any map programs but these are places I've been to possibly on your route that I would recommend?

Make sure to go Zion National Park while in UT if you've never been. It's beautiful and has hikes of varying difficulty. Springdale has cute and child friendly but a little pricey (cheaper than Disney though!) restaurants.

Mesa Verde in Colorado near the NM border is also pretty amazing. Make sure to reserve the tours that go down into the cliffside dwellings in advance. I also really liked Hovenweep. It was super low key.

If you want to really go into CO, I loved Sand Dunes National Park. It's hard for me to imagine a kid not enjoying it.

I thought Dinosaur National Monument was less interesting than I would have liked unless you are planning to do a rafting tour in the area. You might possibly want to consider going up through Colorado to Sand Dunes, to Durango, up to Glenwood Springs (great place for kids) through Grand Junction, to Salt Lake and Up to Idaho and on the way back do SoCal, to Vegas to Grand Canyon, to Zion+Bryce, to NM to back to OK, otherwise you might be hitting some of the places in both directions.

My DD who is nearly the same age as your DS adored Discovery Cube (http://www.discoverycube.org/oc/) near DL. We went there as a day trip and I wish we had spent longer. The Dinosaur area outside is super sunny. We also almost went to the Orange County Fair.

If your DD likes roller coasters I use to want to go to Magic Mountain (https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain) when I was around her age. If you saw the original Vacation movie, Magic Mountain is the park used for interior shots for WallyWorld.

SnuggleBuggles
01-30-2016, 01:37 PM
Saw these apps on Pinterest http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/07/03/technology/personaltech/apps-to-plan-summer-road-trips-down-to-the-pit-stops.html?referer=&_r=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrystalS
01-30-2016, 02:23 PM
I don't know any map programs but these are places I've been to possibly on your route that I would recommend?

Make sure to go Zion National Park while in UT if you've never been. It's beautiful and has hikes of varying difficulty. Springdale has cute and child friendly but a little pricey (cheaper than Disney though!) restaurants.

Mesa Verde in Colorado near the NM border is also pretty amazing. Make sure to reserve the tours that go down into the cliffside dwellings in advance. I also really liked Hovenweep. It was super low key.

If you want to really go into CO, I loved Sand Dunes National Park. It's hard for me to imagine a kid not enjoying it.

I thought Dinosaur National Monument was less interesting than I would have liked unless you are planning to do a rafting tour in the area. You might possibly want to consider going up through Colorado to Sand Dunes, to Durango, up to Glenwood Springs (great place for kids) through Grand Junction, to Salt Lake and Up to Idaho and on the way back do SoCal, to Vegas to Grand Canyon, to Zion+Bryce, to NM to back to OK, otherwise you might be hitting some of the places in both directions.

My DD who is nearly the same age as your DS adored Discovery Cube (http://www.discoverycube.org/oc/) near DL. We went there as a day trip and I wish we had spent longer. The Dinosaur area outside is super sunny. We also almost went to the Orange County Fair.

If your DD likes roller coasters I use to want to go to Magic Mountain (https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain) when I was around her age. If you saw the original Vacation movie, Magic Mountain is the park used for interior shots for WallyWorld.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into those places. We lived in Colorado for several years so we are going to skip that. On our route to Oregon we are trying to make good time so not planning on a lot of stops, just to get out of the car for a couple hours hopefully!
My DH does want to stop in Vegas so we might do that on our way back. I've never been interested, definitely not gambling, what is there to do with kids?

SnuggleBuggles
01-30-2016, 03:53 PM
Here's a recent thread on Vegas with kids http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?492577&p=4164124#post4164124