PDA

View Full Version : Grocery Shopping Services!

rkold
02-02-2016, 11:16 AM
DD+I are going to WDW for February break and renting a compact car would be over ~$300 for a week so I'm thinking of just using Disney Transport/Magical Express and using a grocery shopping service. I've never used one before, so has anyone here? Which ones have you tried? We're thinking of trying We Go Shop (http://www.wegoshop.com/) since you can pick a grocery store and we could pick Trader Joe's. (Usually we do a Target since there is one on the way from the airport, but given my druthers I prefer Trader Joe's by a lot!)

I'd love some other members experiences if possible. Thank you in advance!

mmsmom
02-02-2016, 12:35 PM
We used GardenGrocer and it was all fine. I found the selection limiting for a few items but ultimately they had everything we needed, delivered on time, called to confirm everything and the price was reasonable. The only pitfall was we ended up being upgraded to concierge level & didn't need most of the stuff I bought. I was able to bring some of it home but had to leave a good amount in the room.

keh602
02-02-2016, 02:50 PM
We've used Garden Grocer 3 or 4 times, and we've had a great experience each time.

klwa
02-03-2016, 08:05 AM
We've used Garden Grocer & WeGoShop before. Great experiences with both. I'd give a slight edge to WeGoShop because you CAN specify a store & you can specify if generics are okay, etc.

rkold
02-03-2016, 09:39 AM
We used GardenGrocer and it was all fine. I found the selection limiting for a few items but ultimately they had everything we needed, delivered on time, called to confirm everything and the price was reasonable. The only pitfall was we ended up being upgraded to concierge level & didn't need most of the stuff I bought. I was able to bring some of it home but had to leave a good amount in the room.

I love concierge level. There is very little chance we are going to get upgraded unless there is some huge mistake, because we're DVC. So I'm not too worried about that happy mistake. But I hope you enjoyed the experience as much as we did when we paid for it. When we stayed concierge we used it for breakfast and sometimes dinner. >>; It's a good thing we weren't on a meal plan!

We've used Garden Grocer 3 or 4 times, and we've had a great experience each time.

Ohhh thanks! I appreciate hearing that.

We've used Garden Grocer & WeGoShop before. Great experiences with both. I'd give a slight edge to WeGoShop because you CAN specify a store & you can specify if generics are okay, etc.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards WeGoShop even though it is more expensive because I specifically want TJs. TJs has vegan rice krispie treats and I think other than Whole Foods are the only place where you can find those. I prefer the TJ version because they're not overly sweet and very brown ricey, so it's not a completely junky snack. We also like the TJ cereal bars, and I like that all the dairy is Bovine Growth Hormone free. I have once or twice gone to Whole Foods while in Orlando, but TJs has much better prices and since we're only in a Studio and won't have a full on stove/freezer it limits what we will be making.

I don't really know what Publix or Winn-Dixie carry and there are just certain products I don't want to risk a store product with because it might have gelatin.

I do need to sit down and figure out our meals. So far, there is only one day where we don't have breakfast plans and want to grab something fast before the park.

Mommaof3
02-03-2016, 03:17 PM

This happened to us as well but I was quite happy to be in club level at the Poly an entire week! :)

123LuckyMom
02-03-2016, 03:26 PM
This happened to us as well but I was quite happy to be in club level at the Poly an entire week! :)

We're about to go to Disney. We're staying in the Contemporary, and I was planning to use Garden Grocer. I might pack some food, too! My kids can be picky about brands.

I'm wondering if you asked at all about being upgraded, or if it was just a happy accident. I'd love to end up in a club level room! I didn't think it would be worth it to pay for it, because we're not planning to spend much time in the hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

SummerBaby
02-03-2016, 08:52 PM
I've used garden grocer twice and they were great. My groceries were waiting for me, cold, at check in.

mmsmom
02-03-2016, 09:46 PM
We're about to go to Disney. We're staying in the Contemporary, and I was planning to use Garden Grocer. I might pack some food, too! My kids can be picky about brands.

I'm wondering if you asked at all about being upgraded, or if it was just a happy accident. I'd love to end up in a club level room! I didn't think it would be worth it to pay for it, because we're not planning to spend much time in the hotel.

It was just luck for us though it never hurts to ask. In our case we were at the Poly and the concierge building overlooks the construction site where they were renovating the quiet pool. So I think they upgraded people to those rooms bc if you are paying for concierge you would not pay for a room with a construction view. It was really fine bc we were in the room so little and never heard any noise from the site at all.

Mommaof3
02-04-2016, 10:44 AM

We went right after the magic bands came out and had a ton of issues with ours not working right the first day. We were staying club for the first night and then moving to another room the next day for the remainder of our trip as the free dining was starting and we decided to try club one night until the free dining kicked in. They upgraded us because of the magic band issues and let us stay in the club room the remainder of the trip! Customer Service at Disney is great! The only downside is if we ever go back to Disney I will want to stay club level because it was so great!

123LuckyMom
02-04-2016, 10:06 PM
We went right after the magic bands came out and had a ton of issues with ours not working right the first day. We were staying club for the first night and then moving to another room the next day for the remainder of our trip as the free dining was starting and we decided to try club one night until the free dining kicked in. They upgraded us because of the magic band issues and let us stay in the club room the remainder of the trip! Customer Service at Disney is great! The only downside is if we ever go back to Disney I will want to stay club level because it was so great!

I don't mean to hijack, but what made it so great? Maybe we should consider it for our next trip-- or even for this one if we can pay to upgrade. This is a big budget trip for us. I'm thinking that in future years we'll try to keep the budget lower, so now would be a good year to splurge.

rkold
02-04-2016, 11:51 PM
I don't mean to hijack, but what made it so great? Maybe we should consider it for our next trip-- or even for this one if we can pay to upgrade. This is a big budget trip for us. I'm thinking that in future years we'll try to keep the budget lower, so now would be a good year to splurge.

I have never gotten upgraded for free, but I have stayed Club Level. I got a great discount where it was $350~ a night at the Yacht.

Things I liked about Club Level:

We ate breakfast there every morning. They open at 7 am, so even if you want to be at the parks really early, you can hit the lounge first. They had cereal (hot and cold), muffins, danishes, yogurt, breads, fruit, and probable some other things I am forgetting. You are encouraged to take things to go if you want. The cast members will also supply you with bottled water for the parks/your room. I don't know about anyone else, but I despise Disney's drinking water. It tastes awful to me. It tastes so bad, my Mom needs to use bottled water for making coffee, so I love getting as much bottled water as I want without having to buy it elsewhere.

My DD was 3 when we last stayed Club, so we actually did come back to the room to rest in the afternoon. It gave me someplace to go while she and DH napped. The lunch time snack offerings are OK, but are truly snacks.

We several times made meals of the hor d'oeuvres. There were some great mini spanakopitas. There was always hummus. Even if we missed the hor d'oeuvres, we would frequently be back for dessert. The desserts were good and perfectly sized. There was alcohol should you want it and the lounge was just always so relaxing.

If we were not using points I would definitely stay there again. I also think.. while cast members always give you good customer service, they tend to go above and beyond for people staying in club. In 2012, our flight home was cancelled due to weather and we were moved to a flight 2 days later. We had been stay Club. When I explained the situation, we were offered a discounted waterview room, as Club was completely booked. We had the *PERFECT* water view room at the Yacht Club. They also gave DH and additional park day, as he had used a 3 day park ticket that expired. (I was AP.) It was super nice and really above and beyond. I think some of it was because we had been staying Club.

Last time I was staying Club, people in Club got to test ADRs for BoG quick service when no one else could book it and people in Club were Magic Band and FP+ testers before the FP system went live.

If you're staying Club, there are special staff who work to get you ADRs you could not get.

It's just really special. I miss it sometimes, though I enjoy being DVC too.

I know of other people who have been upgraded, usually it has to do with time of year or if the room you are meant to have has major issues. It's a bit like DVC. I know someone who got a free upgrade from a 1BR to 2BR DVC unit because the 1BR he has booked was out of commission. But for example, DVC members staying at the Poly just had to deal with the quiet pool construction. XD;

I would suspect that you are less likely to get upgraded at the Contemporary just because it might be the most popular resort. The Poly is also super popular, but it has had a lot of construction with the pool renovations and the DVC construction.

Mommaof3
02-06-2016, 02:57 PM
All of what rkold said, plus at the poly the club room looks directly across to the castle and watching the fire works from there was great!