PDA

View Full Version : Black tie question

Chitowngirl
02-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Does black tie always mean a long dress for women? What about black tie optional?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
02-06-2016, 11:08 AM
I think women have more leeway. http://www.etiquette-and-manners-for-the-contemporary-woman.com/black-tie-dress-code.html
If it's an annual event, search online for pictures of past events to see what was worn.

acmom
02-06-2016, 11:26 AM
I think women have more leeway.

:yeahthat: I agree. We attend several black tie events each year and most of them have a good mix of long and short. You do see some gowns, but often see even more dressy cocktail type dresses.

Indianamom2
02-07-2016, 04:00 PM
I think traditionally it does mean long, but I have been to several black tie professional events with Dh over the last few years and there were usually more short than long dresses. Anymore, I think almost anything dressier than a church dress goes!

erosenst
02-08-2016, 11:57 AM
I've been surprised in the last few years to see at least as many short/tea length as long dresses at black tie events. Agree with PP to look for pictures/ask anyone who may have attended either that event or similar events in that city for details.

Also - look at Rent the Runway if you need something new!

Chitowngirl
02-08-2016, 12:34 PM
I went in Saturday. I wrote the short/cocktail dress that looked better on me than the longer more formal dress. I felt more confident and comfortable than I would have otherwise so thanks to everyone for giving me the "ok" to go ahead and wear it. Once I got there I did not feel out of place. I would say it was about 50/50 shirt came long.