PDA

View Full Version : Tween-appropriate books for an advanced reader?

NCGrandma
02-19-2016, 05:32 PM
My 11-y.o. DGD1, in 5th grade, is a voracious reader, now reading at a ‘high school level’ (not sure of specifics) but is definitely not ready for the adult themes etc that are often found in books at her reading level. I’m sure many of you have encountered this challenge and will hopefully have some suggestions.

She devoured the Harry Potter books, and is now reading The Hobbit, so the Lord of the Rings books will be next. She recently read A Wrinkle in Time for school and “hated it” (as did one of her parents – the other loves it… :)).

She loves fantasy, magical realism, kid spy books. She's still very much a kid, not into romance or other YA topics like ‘finding yourself’ or drugs or suicide. Doesn't like violence or horror. For example, she LOVED Cornelia Funke's DRAGON RIDER, but couldn't deal with the darkness of the INKHEART series.

So, any suggestions?

georgiegirl
02-19-2016, 05:49 PM
Wings of Fire series

hobie
02-19-2016, 06:26 PM
David Eddings, Belgariad series

NCGrandma
02-20-2016, 10:21 AM
Thanks -- keep the ideas coming!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Baby Bargains mobile app

AnnieW625
02-20-2016, 11:11 AM
Anne of Green Gables was a favorite of mine at that age. Has she read The Chronicles of Narnia? (my brother read those in junior high at some point along with The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings series.

jench
02-20-2016, 12:52 PM
It gets mixed reviews online, but my DD likes the School of Good & Evil series.

nfceagles
02-20-2016, 04:06 PM
The Phantom Tollbooth

nfceagles
02-20-2016, 04:43 PM
The Borrowers

niccig
02-21-2016, 04:00 PM
DS is reading at a similar level. He's been reading The Unwanteds Series by Lisa McMann. I've been reading it along with him.

toby
02-21-2016, 05:50 PM
My 11-y.o. DGD1, in 5th grade, is a voracious reader, now reading at a ‘high school level’ (not sure of specifics) but is definitely not ready for the adult themes etc that are often found in books at her reading level. I’m sure many of you have encountered this challenge and will hopefully have some suggestions.

She devoured the Harry Potter books, and is now reading The Hobbit, so the Lord of the Rings books will be next. She recently read A Wrinkle in Time for school and “hated it” (as did one of her parents – the other loves it… :)).

She loves fantasy, magical realism, kid spy books. She's still very much a kid, not into romance or other YA topics like ‘finding yourself’ or drugs or suicide. Doesn't like violence or horror. For example, she LOVED Cornelia Funke's DRAGON RIDER, but couldn't deal with the darkness of the INKHEART series.

So, any suggestions?

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series- not very challenging, but wonderful!; Mysterious Benedict Society; Not sure if Lloyd Alexander books or Guardian of Gahoole series would be too violent; not fantasy, but Carl Hiassen books- Hoot, Chomp etc are good.

robinsmommy
02-21-2016, 11:51 PM
I would especially recommend the Lloyd Alexander books that have female protagonists. I loved Tamora Pierce at that age - it does have some romance and some implied sex, though, esp the YA ones. I also really loved Robin Mckinley - the Blue Sword, The Hero and the Crown, Beauty - they all have some romance, but also have strong female characters. And yep, I loved the girls/swords theme at that age.

The books I mentioned do have some "adult theme" stuff in romance or violence - but way, way less than there would be in a YA book nowadays. DD1 who is shoulder surfing likes Toby's choices. Ooh, John Bellairs is kinda creepy, but I liked those too - though some are dark. I liked "Crunch", too - it's not a fantasy one, but it is a post-apocalyptic in a much kinder way than Hunger Games. I loved it. Highly, highly recommend that one.

And DD1 has chipped in again with the author Kate Saunders. And the "Savvy" series has magic/realism - we listened to it on CD in the car and all loved it.

kwc
02-22-2016, 03:13 AM
12 y/o DD loves:
Keeper of the Lost Cities series by Shannon Messenger
Princess Academy
Escape from Mr. Limoncello's Library
The Apothecary
Rebecca Stead's books Liar & Spy or When You Reach Me
The Penderwicks (not challenging but sweet)

9y/o DS loves:

Mysterious Benedict Society
Puzzling World of Winston Breen
Wonder
Original Sherlock Holmes stories on my Kindle

ilfaith
02-29-2016, 11:37 PM
How about some of the older classics...Little Women, Black Beauty, Tom Sawyer (or any Twain), perhaps Dickens? Or some of the 20th century classics like To Kill a Mockingbird, Catcher in the Rye, The Outsiders.

Has she read the Percy Jackson books, or any of Rick Riordan's series?