PDA

View Full Version : Charleston SC or Savannah GA, or both? What to see?

2ndtimearound
02-24-2016, 12:40 PM
We may have the opportunity to travel to one or both of these places (depending on time) as we pass through. If you had to choose, which would you? Are there any "must sees"? DD will be 9 and is a pretty good traveler. TIA!

hillview
02-24-2016, 01:00 PM
DH and I spent a weekend in Charleston and enjoyed great food and walking around this historic area. Not sure this is super helpful but thought I'd at least start!

Smillow
02-24-2016, 04:28 PM
We have always visited Savannah because we fell in love with it! We haven't ever gone to Charleston because of that. Our niece lives in Charleston now, so maybe we will cheat on Savannah. Savannah is so beautiful.

HannaAddict
02-24-2016, 06:07 PM
We went to both the same trip and LOVED both. I'd do Savannah first if do both since it is quirkier and less blingy if that makes sense. Our friends had small kids. Not sure our nine year old would want to walk around looking at great architecture and art galleries and funky shops though, we didn't have kids and our friends kids were babies. Charlestown was a gorgeous city and we loved the candle lit lantern lit walk to different historical homes, from mansions on the water to Charlestown singles. They have great garden tours too. Both places had delicious food. Loved them both. Not sure about kids though, if they would be bored. Ours like history and did great in Italy but not sure looking at architectural styles would be fun. And going out for drinks and dinners in both towns was very fun as adults. Now I want to go back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kristenk
02-24-2016, 06:33 PM
Is your daughter a girl scout? The Juliette Gordon Low birthplace is in Savannah. You can take a tour of the house and then buy a special pin that is worn on the uniform. Lots of different places in Savannah (an ice cream store and I can't remember what else) have fun patches that you can buy. We had a pretty good time in a day trip to Savannah when DD was 10yo.

BDKmom
02-24-2016, 08:01 PM
They are both very nice cities. I don't think you could go wrong with either. They have a lot of similarities. Maybe spend some time on tripadvisor forums for each city to get a feel. I haven't done either with kids, so no advice there.

2ndtimearound
02-25-2016, 10:24 AM
Is your daughter a girl scout? The Juliette Gordon Low birthplace is in Savannah. You can take a tour of the house and then buy a special pin that is worn on the uniform. Lots of different places in Savannah (an ice cream store and I can't remember what else) have fun patches that you can buy. We had a pretty good time in a day trip to Savannah when DD was 10yo.

Thank you! This is awesome! Seals the deal!

ilfaith
02-25-2016, 06:39 PM
I love both cities and you really can't go wrong with either choice. We are close enough to Savannah to make a day trip of it (although we usually stay the weekend). My brother went to college in Charleston, and I've always enjoyed visiting that city as well.

If you choose Savannah, definitely get ice cream at Leopold's (I am guessing this is the place kristenk was thinking of). The Pirates' House is a family friendly restaurant to check out as well. Servers dress as pirates and tell stories about (and provide tours of) the old house (rumored to be haunted...but so is just about every other old house in Savannah). A few yard ago we actually got to buy Girl Scout cookies outside the Juliette Gordon Low house (but I've never done the tour). My boys loved the Railroad museum in Savannah, but that might be more of a boy thing.

http://www.leopoldsicecream.com
http://www.thepirateshouse.com

If you visit Charleston, Fort Sumter is a must-see. They also have a pretty nice aquarium.

In either city, I would recommend a ghost tour (unless your daughter is easily spooked) or a horse and buggy tour. Both cities are close to beaches if that's something you can fit into your travel plans.

Corie
03-01-2016, 08:44 PM

My daughter and I did a mother/daughter trip to Savannah when she was 10 yrs. old. I planned an entire long weekend dedicated to Girl Scouts. We had a
great time!!