PDA

View Full Version : Fancy Nancy picture book or early reader?

ExcitedMamma
02-28-2016, 12:22 PM
Something about Fancy Nancy always bugged me. I've never seen more than the covers but it seemed very materialistic and I hated that the little girl is in high heels with a purse. Then DD picked out an early reader from the library with DH so I read it to her and was surprised at how sweet it was and even DS stuck around to hear it. This one was about constellations. DD wanted more Fancy Nancy books so I looked her up on Amazon. In the reviews for the picture books there was a lot of criticism about the books being boring compared to the reader types which surprised me since early readers book are usually not very well done since they have to use a simplified choice of words. I was only going to order the picture book versions before I read the criticism. Anyone have any experience with these books? Any advice on which version to order? Are the picture book stories sweet or will they be too materialistic like I was afraid of? Thanks!

elbenn
02-28-2016, 12:34 PM
I think the picture books are good. I think the early reader versions are fine, but the picture books have better stories. If you are reading them to her, definitely get the picture books. The only reason to get the early readers instead of the picture books is for a child to read.

MommyAllison
02-28-2016, 12:51 PM
We love Fancy Nancy over here, and though I totally understand how the covers could look materialistic, we haven't found that to be true of the stories. I definitely prefer reading the picture books over the early readers. I'd get a few of each from the library to look through and decide if I were you. :)

acmom
02-28-2016, 04:23 PM
We love Fancy Nancy over here, and though I totally understand how the covers could look materialistic, we haven't found that to be true of the stories.

:yeahthat: I agree! How old is your child? That might be a determining factor in which one I picked...I agree that the picture books are richer language to read aloud, but as my daughter started to read, she liked reading the readers herself, so we had a mix.

Melaine
02-28-2016, 06:19 PM
We love all of them. They have some wonderful teachable moments and lessons. We love all of them but the picture books are best.

RiverRat
02-28-2016, 07:57 PM
We love Fancy Nancy. I love that the readers teach "fancy" words. My kids use the bigger words on a regular basis. The chapter books are good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

ExcitedMamma
02-29-2016, 12:12 PM
Thanks everyone! It is for DD who is 3 so I'll be reading to her. Glad to hear the pictures books are good!