PDA

View Full Version : Teen boy's haircut styles

JElaineB
03-04-2016, 10:54 AM
DS is 13 and wants a haircut with a bit more style than the usual "little boy haircut" he's been getting. However, he is very low maintenance and I doubt I could get him to use product on a regular basis. He has pretty thick straight hair. Any suggestions for sites to go to to get ideas for haircuts, or pics of haircuts you love? I've looked at some but nothing has jumped out at me. It's been almost two months since it's been cut so he has some to work with right now, but it's pretty much sticking out everywhere at this point. Hoping to go to the salon this weekend and we're going on vacation in a week so I'd like it to look semi-decent by then for photos even if we are in a "growing out" phase.

SnuggleBuggles
03-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Mine is not into product or really styling it. We go to my salon though and the stylists make it look good. :). I'd just lay out your needs to them. If they are good, they'll figure out a plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous
03-04-2016, 03:07 PM
DS has similar hair--thick and straight-- and a great haircut. Google Romeo Beckham. It can be worn down or up with a little glue.

chottumommy
03-04-2016, 04:38 PM
Not sure about the style part, but my DS1 who is 7 is very picky about his cut. He has really thick hair and will only get a scissor cut. That keeps the hair from sticking out when it grows out.

JElaineB
03-04-2016, 04:51 PM
DS has similar hair--thick and straight-- and a great haircut. Google Romeo Beckham. It can be worn down or up with a little glue.

Awesome, thank you. I think that style could definitely work for him.

JElaineB
03-04-2016, 04:52 PM
Not sure about the style part, but my DS1 who is 7 is very picky about his cut. He has really thick hair and will only get a scissor cut. That keeps the hair from sticking out when it grows out.

I think they buzz the sides and use scissors on top right now. Hopefully leaving it a bit longer on top will help even more.

briarrose
03-05-2016, 06:45 AM
My DS is 12. He also has thick hair that is mostly straight. He won't use product. He decided at the beginning of the school year to get an undercut. It is super short on the sides and back and long on top. The top has grown so long now it is longer than his chin. When asked how long he plans to grow it, I get a shoulder shrug. He loves it because no one else has it. I don't mind, I think it actually looks pretty cool. He does have to pull it back for activities.
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M5986ceb1979c95c8b971e7114bb16981o0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.Mbc73c5c50117da8dd85ba1843c773a66o0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

Barb

JElaineB
03-05-2016, 11:24 AM
Thanks, good to know an undercut works with his hair type. I think he will probably end up with some version of one, essentially longer on top and shorter on sides.

R2sweetboys
03-06-2016, 09:45 AM
The undercut is pretty common here and what my boys have as well. DS1 also has a "hard part" which has become very popular among the teen set.

bcafe
03-06-2016, 11:22 AM
My soon to be 11 year old has a modified 'hard part'. I basically buzzed his back and sides but faded the sides into the longer top. The right side is shorter because that is where he parts his hair.

kali
04-11-2016, 01:54 AM
I was just coming on to post this exact question--could have written your post JElaineB!

I booked an appointment with my stylist for my DS but would like to give her some examples. DS has super thick straight/wavy hair and usually resists getting his hair cut but his hair has grown out to the point that he actually is asking for one. I suspect that he wants something more stylish than the generic "little boy haircut" that he's always had but he doesn't like his hair getting in his eyes and he def won't use any product. So the long undercut style prob won't work for him.

This website has a bunch of trendy hairstyles: http://www.mens-hairstylists.com/trendy-cute-boys-hairstyles/

Still looking for ideas though so pls post if you have suggestions!

almostmom
04-11-2016, 09:58 AM
My son is a low maintenance kid, but this year, decided he likes having the front of his hair go up a bit, so is now into putting in product! I think it's the middle school thing, and finally he cares about how he looks. He has super thick straightish hair. The stylist can also help you and give suggestions. My son LOVES his stylist, and has become quite into his hair since getting this new cut! The back and sides are pretty short (no buzz though) and the top is probably 1 or 1.5 inches right after it's cut.

rlu
04-11-2016, 03:44 PM
he def won't use any product.

I thought the same about DS but he got a dose of DH's curls that appear when either of them let their hair grow and DS uses product to comb out the wave. I'm hopeless on hairstyles, being DH's department since that first cut (the curls!) so no help there.

IIRC DNephew went product crazy in middle school as well. His hair crunched.