PDA

View Full Version : Dog crate questions

RedSuedeShoes
03-04-2016, 04:23 PM
Our new(ish) puppy has outgrown the crate we borrowed the day we got her. Because I need to leave her for several hours this afternoon, I bought a single door Midwest Lifestages crate at a local pet store this morning (rather than getting the double door version for less $ on Amazon). I got it set up but have a few questions.

-How much space to give her? She will be 12 weeks old in a few days and is 95% housetrained. She's pretty big - 15# and tall.
-If I get a crate pad, what size do I get - one that fits the whole crate or one that fits the space she gets now?
-Is there a trick to installing the divider? I mean, other than contorting myself inside the crate, cursing and forcing it? :)
-I was disappointed that the door doesn't slide up on top. It's kind of in the way when it hangs open as it's going to be in our small dining room. Is there another crate that allows the door to be out of the way or is this how they all are?

Thanks, again, BBB, for all your help! She is really sweet and we are having fun with her. I'd post a pic if I had time. She is growing so fast!

smilequeen
03-04-2016, 05:53 PM
How well crate trained is she? I used a divider with my pugs, but our new puppy (10 weeks) I never put it in. She has never peed in her crate, so I just bought a full size crate pad and she sleeps wherever she wants in there. Otherwise, I'd probably get a pad that folds in half so you aren't buying a new one when you take the divider out. Ours doors don't slide up on top either, but they do stay open all the way (I have the 2 door version).

SummerBaby
03-04-2016, 07:44 PM
The divider is a PITA. I nearly took my fingers off trying to install/ move it. We have a 42 inch crate for our lab. When he was 3 months- about 15/18 lbs- we had him in slightly more than half the crate. I never used a crate pad at first (although he never peed in his crate). I just lined it with old towels and blankets. He nested in them. Our door doesn't slide up- it opens like a door. I've never seen one that slides up. Enjoy the puppy stage- they grow so fast!

LBW
03-04-2016, 09:39 PM
-How much space to give her? She will be 12 weeks old in a few days and is 95% housetrained. She's pretty big - 15# and tall.
I'd try just giving her the full space. I've never used dividers, and I've fostered dozens of puppies.

-If I get a crate pad, what size do I get - one that fits the whole crate or one that fits the space she gets now?
You don't need a pad, but if you want one, get one that fits the space. I just use old towels when they are puppies and a dog bed or blanket when they are older.

-I was disappointed that the door doesn't slide up on top. It's kind of in the way when it hangs open as it's going to be in our small dining room. Is there another crate that allows the door to be out of the way or is this how they all are?
I've had both kinds of crates. Yes, the doors that swing out need more room in front of the door, but at least you can put things on top of the crate. (I've often used a crate as an "end table"!) I don't love the ones that slide up for that reason. Also, if the door gets bent, it becomes hard to get it to slide up properly.

ahisma
03-04-2016, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't get a pad at this age. We had many chewed / soiled - total hassle. Our dog is pretty well behaved and had pretty much never chewed anything else...except those darn crate pads.

mackmama
03-05-2016, 01:35 AM
I'd try just giving her the full space. I've never used dividers, and I've fostered dozens of puppies.

You don't need a pad, but if you want one, get one that fits the space. I just use old towels when they are puppies and a dog bed or blanket when they are older.

I've had both kinds of crates. Yes, the doors that swing out need more room in front of the door, but at least you can put things on top of the crate. (I've often used a crate as an "end table"!) I don't love the ones that slide up for that reason. Also, if the door gets bent, it becomes hard to get it to slide up properly.

Off topic but Tara - I love your signature Mary Oliver quote. It's been a favorite poem of mine since college, and I actually gave it to a friend recently as she moved toward divorce.