PDA

View Full Version : Omg I hate lice!

KrystalS
03-05-2016, 01:10 AM
So my DN brought lice into my house about 2 weeks ago. I really thought we had gotten lucky and none of us got it. Well not so much. Took my DD to get her hair trimmed yesterday and sure enough lice. It's really bad, total infestation. I combed through it yesterday and thought I got all the live ones. But we did another round tonight and I still found 6 more crawling and 100s of nits. I know I didn't get all the nits, but DD was crying and we had been doing it for 2+ hours. She has dark brown hair and it's so so thick. Please tell me there is an end to this! She had lice last summer for the first time but it was nothing like this, we caught it early that time.
I looked on Amazon and found a product called Lice free and it got really good reviews. Has anyone tried it? I'm ordering the Fairy Tales repellant also and spraying the entire family! I was convinced I had it too because my head was itching like crazy today but I had someone comb thru and we didn't find anything.
I'm going to continue combing DDs hair each day but is there anything else I should be doing? I've never dealt with anything like this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgiegirl
03-05-2016, 10:57 AM
I used lice freeeee once. I can't really say how it worked since we caught the problem immediately...the day after exposure and we found one live bug and 3-4 nits.

Do you have a professional lice service in the area?

Lice is the worst!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Green_Tea
03-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Are you doing conditioner comb outs with a terminator comb? I found getting rid of lice to be a full time job, and had to do two full comb outs per day on my DD. Each comb out definitely took at least 2 hrs.

Though it is controversial here, I also had no qualms about using Rx meds to help with the process. My pediatrician called in Sklice.

amyx4
03-05-2016, 11:29 AM
I combed every 30 min for an entire day. It was a bad infestation. I leaned the dark haired person over the edge of the tub and combed into the white tub. That way I could see what was being combed out and I felt like the lice were contained. Straight medium length hair so I don't know if that made a difference. Each time I combed I started with a regular comb first ( and stuff did come out!) and then I'd move to the finer comb. Hang in there!

westwoodmom04
03-05-2016, 03:27 PM
The Fairy Tales stuff doesn't work at all unfortunately, although it does smell nice. I know a ton of girls that have gotten lice while using it.

You may want to call your doctor. Apparently there is a new breed of superlice that are best dealt with by a prescription shampoo.

And the lice lady we used told us the best prevention was to spray a conditioning oil in the hair (makes it harder for lice to climb) and pull in back in a ponytail

Kindra178
03-05-2016, 07:39 PM
The so called super lice respond best to the old school traditional comb outs. Using a prescription product would certainly kill off at least some of the live ones, but you will still have to deal with every day conditioner comb outs. Lice love the area behind ears, the nape of neck and the crown area. Concentrate on those. Do anything to get your child to sit for this - candy, ice cream, screen time - whatever it takes. Around here the professionals use a more natural treatment to kill the live ones - I don't think it actually works though. The benefits to having a professional work with your child is that they don't stop until the last nit is gone, they are very skilled at maneuvering the comb and you can learn a ton from them. If your kid is in school, there's an equal or even greater chance she got it from a classmate and not your dn.

KrystalS
03-05-2016, 08:47 PM
I have been doing the conditioner comb outs, 3 so far, and I will do another one before bed. I thought I got all the live ones out the first time, but I still found a couple on the last comb out. I have been doing a comb out in the evening before bed, then the next morning I wash all the sheets and tell DD not to get back in her bed. Is this necessary? How likely is it for them to be on the bed/furniture and get back on her head? From what I've read the comb outs are the most important right?
We don't have any professional services within a 3 hour drive, I checked. If I can't get a handle on it I'll just have to make the drive.

Dayzy
03-05-2016, 09:53 PM
3 out of the 4 of us got lice in December. We called the pediatrician and she sent us right to the Lice Lady. Worth the $200 for the 3 hours we were there getting treated. She uses Happy Heads and sent us home with a schedule and instructions.
Day 1- at her salon, shampoo, sit in shower cap for 30 minutes, rinse out, conditioner and full comb out with terminator comb. and you have to comb from every direction.
Day 2- Shampoo for 30 minutes, rinse, condition, comb in all directions at least 30-45 minutes.
Day 3 & 4 - condition and comb
Day 5- shampoo for 30 minutes only
Day 6- condition and comb.

Vacuum all the furniture, limit kids to one pillow, one blanket and no stuffed animals. Much easier to keep up with the laundry. Bag all stuffed animals for 48 hours. Clothing all washed on hot water and dryer after that. I kept a sheet over the couch so that I could just change the sheet a few times per day and not have to keep vacuuming the couch. But the most important thing is the terminator comb. It's really the best. The drugstore ones don't do as good and won't pull off all the nits.

Here's the video our lice lady made to show her method. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P86A7m4xlNY

KrystalS
03-05-2016, 11:36 PM
Thank you so much for the video! I was trying to section off my DDs hair into small sections but this looks much easier.
I just did a comb out and I didn't find anymore live lice. And much less nits than our comb out this morning. We don't really have stuffed animals but the few we have I bagged up.
Luckily we have leather furniture so easier to clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

american_mama
03-06-2016, 12:26 PM
Thank you so much for the video! I was trying to section off my DDs hair into small sections but this looks much easier.
I just did a comb out and I didn't find anymore live lice. And much less nits than our comb out this morning. We don't really have stuffed animals but the few we have I bagged up.

Many sympathies. I had FOUR of us with lice which we discovered on our first day of a beach vacation. Two of my kids had quite a bad infestation... with Ds, patient zero, the lice (many of them) were literally jumping off his head and on to the sofa when he sat there with the lice shampoo on his head, and there tons and tons of nits on his head and DD2's. And their hair.... biracial hair, so thick and curly and long that many professional stylists and braiders have expressed amazement when working on their hair.

For that reason, I did the OTC lice shampoo and Terminator comb, then called my pediatrician for advice and got a prescription for malathion, I think it was called. One bottle is supposed to last for two treatments a person , but we needed 2 bottles a head for ONE treatment because they had so much hair. Fortunately, that one treatment worked.

More advice for you: also use an oil-based clear silicone hair product as you comb out each section or after. This supposedly prevents the nits from surviving or hatching for a reason I don't remember. The clear product was also a little easier to see the nits and lice as you comb out. We used a product from CVS that a dark pink label; I'll look for a link.

Sounds like the multi-direction approach in the video is working for you. For us, that would have been impossible given their hair, so we combed each section in each direction, then moved on. We also sprayed their hair before combing with a combination of vinegar and water, which our pediatric nurse said loosens the nits for easier removal.

It gets better, and you will find much, much commiseration.