PDA

View Full Version : How much would you charge/pay for driving your child to and from school?

alleycat
03-05-2016, 02:48 PM
I might be driving DD's classmate to school next year. The mom asked how much do I charge. I have no idea. It'll be four days a week, school is less than ten minutes from my home.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

flashy09
03-05-2016, 02:51 PM
Are you picking her up? Is she far away from your house? Are you friends with her Mom or is she going through special circumstances?

JamiMac
03-05-2016, 02:54 PM
If she's close, I would not charge her anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alleycat
03-05-2016, 03:04 PM
I'll be picking the child up from the babysitter's house and dropping her off after school. Nothing is really too far, it's a small town. I'm thinking it'll probably add 15 minutes to my schedule. I know the mom but not friends with her. She asked on our local FB page if someone could do it.

pinkmomagain
03-05-2016, 04:27 PM
For someone I could really, trust and count on? $20/week is a number I could live with.

gymnbomb
03-05-2016, 05:58 PM
For an acquaintance who asked on a FB group, I think $20-25 a week sounds reasonable. For a neighbor who would walk to your house or good friend I would do it free, but this doesn't sound like that kind of situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
03-05-2016, 06:03 PM
What's the plan if you are going to miss school (illness, vacation,...)?

AnnieW625
03-05-2016, 06:22 PM
If she's close, I would not charge her anything.

:yeahthat: I probably wouldn't charge anything even with the situation you talk about, but that is just me.

BananaMama
03-05-2016, 06:32 PM
$5 a day

pharmjenn
03-05-2016, 08:32 PM
I am in a similar situation, and am paying a local 18yo to pick up my DS8 a few mornings a week and drop him at school 1mile away. I figure it takes her about 15min total from her house to ours, to the school and back home. I offered $10 per trip. I think for 5 days/week that would get too expensive, so agree that maybe $25/week would be good in your situation.

wellyes
03-05-2016, 08:41 PM
You don't mean, drive a kid with your kid. You mean, drive a kid to a whole different school. No way would I do that 4 days a week for free. Maybe $100 per month $100 per month ($25 per week) regardless of school holidays.

SnuggleBuggles
03-05-2016, 08:54 PM
You don't mean, drive a kid with your kid. You mean, drive a kid to a whole different school. No way would I do that 4 days a week for free. Maybe $100 per month $100 per month ($25 per week) regardless of school holidays.

? She said one of her dd's classmates.

wellyes
03-05-2016, 09:30 PM
? She said one of her dd's classmates.

Ah, I see. I saw that it added 15 minutes to her schedule. Must be the round trip to the daycare provider's house.

TwinFoxes
03-05-2016, 09:43 PM
$20 I'm sorry, my time is worth something. If it were a friend, free.

gatorsmom
03-05-2016, 09:59 PM
A total stranger asked me to do this a few years ago. I thought it was a little bold since she didn't offer to pay anything but she ran an in home day care and her Dh had a job with odd hours. If she didn't find anyone to help, her dc would have to go to a different school. So I did it for her. BUT I did it with the caveat that if my kids were sick, she'd have to find another way for her child to get to school. She was happy to agree to that. My kids had the best time in the car with their new friend everyday. She ended up giving me a gift card for $100 at the end of the year and has become a good friend.

That was 3 years ago and I'm happy I did it.

mikala
03-06-2016, 04:51 AM
Op, is this drop-off and pickup 4 days a week, so 8 trips total? Is the 15 minutes extra per trip or per day? If it's per trip and 8x15=2 hours of extra driving time a week plus mileage/car wear and tear/gas I think pp suggestion of $20 a week seems really low. In other after school care threads posters have suggested paying babysitting hourly rates for school care and some of those situations didn't have additional driving for the extra kid.

TwinFoxes
03-06-2016, 06:14 AM
I'll be picking the child up from the babysitter's house and dropping her off after school. Nothing is really too far, it's a small town. I'm thinking it'll probably add 15 minutes to my schedule. I know the mom but not friends with her. She asked on our local FB page if someone could do it.

I already answered, but I have to say I would not commit to something like this. It sounds like a pain. People often post similar requests on our FB page and I always think "I can" and then I think about it more and realize I'd hate it.

jgenie
03-06-2016, 08:17 AM
.....I have to say I would not commit to something like this. It sounds like a pain. People often post similar requests on our FB page and I always think "I can" and then I think about it more and realize I'd hate it.

:yeahthat: I would do it for a friend but not otherwise. Trying to get my guys out the door is crazy as it is I wouldn't want to add another child to the mix on a regular basis. Occasionally in a bind yes but not regularly.

mikala
03-06-2016, 08:54 AM
I already answered, but I have to say I would not commit to something like this. It sounds like a pain. People often post similar requests on our FB page and I always think "I can" and then I think about it more and realize I'd hate it.
Agreed, especially at ~$3 a trip. We often do errands immediately after school.

BunnyBee
03-06-2016, 09:40 AM

Getting everyone out the door 15 minutes early would be worth more to me than a reasonable human would pay. Then add another 15 minutes after with the tight turnaround I would have before dinner and activities? Nope.

TwinFoxes
03-06-2016, 09:48 AM
Getting everyone out the door 15 minutes early would be worth more to me than a reasonable human would pay. Then add another 15 minutes after with the tight turnaround I would have before dinner and activities? Nope.

Ex-actly.

Corie
03-06-2016, 09:51 AM

I completely agree!! No way!

alleycat
03-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I told the mom $20 a week.

It's for half day preK so I'm not rushing home for dinner or after school activities. My other two DDs will be in school already before I head out. And I run my errands while all the kids are in school. I just figure it's an easy way to make a few extra dollars.