PDA

View Full Version : Camp Invention reviews?

IansMom
03-05-2016, 06:09 PM
I am just starting to look around for summer camps for DS who is in first grade. Anyone have experience with Camp Invention? TIA.

liz
03-05-2016, 06:29 PM
Yes, we have done it for the last few years. The kids have a lot of fun. We plan on signing up our kids again this year.

Simon
03-05-2016, 07:46 PM
One of Ds' BFF's did it last summer (between 2nd and 3rd grade) and enjoyed it but wasn't overly enthusiastic. I don't think they're going to repeat. In our neck of the woods, it is quite a bit more expensive than other options so that may be a factor.

cvanbrunt
03-05-2016, 09:13 PM
Both of my girls did it last year. They liked it and had fun but don't want to do it again. The theme this year looks way more fun than last year.

wellyes
03-05-2016, 09:28 PM
We visited it to potentially bring it as an afterschool program.....it was good. It is legit.

scrooks
03-05-2016, 09:48 PM
Dd did it last year and wants to do it again this year. It's a little pricey but it seems like a good program.

KrisM
03-05-2016, 09:57 PM
My kids have liked it. DS1 went after 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. DD went after 1st and 2nd. DS2 has gone after kindergarten and 1st and might go again this year. Thankfully, there is an alumni discount and a 3-kid discount!

melwe
03-05-2016, 11:20 PM
DD has done it every summer since going into first grade. She enjoys it and plans on it again this year. I notice each year her confidence and complexity of design is increasing so I feel it's been a positive experience to repeat year after year.

maestramommy
03-05-2016, 11:32 PM
DD1 did it when she was 6. She didn't like it, but I think it was because of her personality. She found it too noisy and chaotic, and the counselors weren't all that helpful. I think one's experience really varies depending on how it's staffed.

solsister
03-06-2016, 03:33 AM
We did it for 5 years and LOVED it! It is pricey, but the kids really learn a lot and it's so hands on. I got really lucky and got to take the photos for each time we did it, and got it for free! I would go in every day and take pics and then put together a slide show at the end of the week, when the kids all present their experiments to their parents.There seem to be several volunteer opportunities with each program, so if price is an issue, ask the lead and see what they can do.
My daughter will be a jr lead or counselor, whatever they call it, this summer, and again, it will be free for her volunteering. She's super excited!

IansMom
03-06-2016, 10:09 AM
Wow! Thanks for the responses! I think DS will love it!

Pear
03-06-2016, 10:38 AM
DD did it last year and spent the entire year asking when she gets to go again. She absolutely loved the creativity aspect. I'm already thinking about what to send for her take apart item this year. Last year we sent a dvd player.

I know the sentiment is bordering on cliche at this point, but inspiring girls to pursue stem careers if they are so inclined is so important. I Love that she has opportunities like camp invention.

it is on the higher end of what we pay here for weekly camps, but it isn't the most expensive camp we will do this summer. I figure the expensive weeks get offset by the cheaper weeks and we end up with a decent average over the summer.