PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE in #9. What would you think of this? (delayed milestones)

petesgirl
03-07-2016, 07:46 PM
Would you be concerned by a 10 month old girl not even attempting to hold her weight (won't touch feet to floor and straighten out legs) when held in standing position? This is my neighbors baby that I tend about once a week. I have no intention of saying anything because her mom is a pediatric nurse but also seems oblivious to delays. For example, the baby has only been able sit unsupported for about a month but that's only if you set her in seated position, she can't get there one her own. Can't roll from back to front. Can get from front to back with struggle. She seems otherwise healthy and appropriately responsive. She also has a very docile and easy going personality so perhaps she just lacks motivation to gain these gross motor skills?

PZMommy
03-07-2016, 07:51 PM
My DS was diagnosed with low muscle tone and got PT through early intervention, but he was even farther behind than that. He didn't sit unassisted until closer to 12 months old. He didn't roll until 10 months. I was well aware he had delays but he was in and out of the hospital for lung issues since he was three weeks old, so those issues were more pressing than his gross motor skills. Once he was out of "survival mode" as his pedi called it, we pursued early intervention and he qualified for services. Are you sure the mom is not aware of the delays?? Some pedis take a more wait and see approach, which may be why they haven't done anything yet.

HannaAddict
03-07-2016, 08:31 PM
Or maybe you don't know if she knows. I wouldn't discus this with a neighbor even if she babysat. Just lots of floor time but the mom could be aware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petesgirl
03-07-2016, 09:28 PM
I do give her floor time here, only for about 5 mins at a time because she hates it. Her mom has told me from the time I started watching her last August that they don't do floor time because the baby hates it. She spends a lot of time in a rock n play and has a really flat head too. I'm not sure what the parents think but I'm not going to say anything. It is a little hard for me to see though since my daughter's first signs of disorder were delayed milestones. I also know some parents like to pretend their isn't a problem instead of getting help. That's really the attitude I get from this family but...

PZMommy
03-07-2016, 09:56 PM
I do give her floor time here, only for about 5 mins at a time because she hates it. Her mom has told me from the time I started watching her last August that they don't do floor time because the baby hates it. She spends a lot of time in a rock n play and has a really flat head too. I'm not sure what the parents think but I'm not going to say anything. It is a little hard for me to see though since my daughter's first signs of disorder were delayed milestones. I also know some parents like to pretend their isn't a problem instead of getting help. That's really the attitude I get from this family but...

I'm a teacher, and I get kids coming into Kindergarten with HUGE delays. Some parents just don't want to hear about the delays/issues their child may have. Sooner or later it will catch up to them, but until they are ready to hear it, there is nothing you can say or do to change their mind.

AngB
03-07-2016, 10:04 PM
None of my kids were big on rolling as babies, our ped was never really worried about it. (They have all been good about the other milestones you mentioned, sitting unassisted by 6ish months, putting weight on feet, etc.)
In our state, districts do something called 'Parents as Teachers' where they send a liaison/early childhood person paid by the district to visit parents' with young kids in home and do developmental things with them as well as giving parents ideas for activities. We never actually participated but a lot of people around us do, maybe see if the districts' have anything like that and suggest it would be a great activity for them to do together. Part of their purpose is picking up early developmental delays and recommending early intervention if needed, so this would be a great way for it to be recommended if necessary, but it's not only for developmental delays. My friends' with completely on track kids' have participated in it because they like getting ideas for activities, etc.

petesgirl
03-07-2016, 10:32 PM
None of my kids were big on rolling as babies, our ped was never really worried about it. (They have all been good about the other milestones you mentioned, sitting unassisted by 6ish months, putting weight on feet, etc.)
In our state, districts do something called 'Parents as Teachers' where they send a liaison/early childhood person paid by the district to visit parents' with young kids in home and do developmental things with them as well as giving parents ideas for activities. We never actually participated but a lot of people around us do, maybe see if the districts' have anything like that and suggest it would be a great activity for them to do together. Part of their purpose is picking up early developmental delays and recommending early intervention if needed, so this would be a great way for it to be recommended if necessary, but it's not only for developmental delays. My friends' with completely on track kids' have participated in it because they like getting ideas for activities, etc.

This sounds cool! From researching a little it looks like no weight bearing isn't considered delayed until 12 months.

kdeunc
03-08-2016, 11:06 AM
This sounds a lot like my DD. She would not bear weight but she could sit and roll over. She also scooted on her bottom to get around. She started PT at 11 months and walked/ended PT at 22 months. In her case I am sure it was because she was the third child, easy going and happy just to sit around. Definitely a motivation issue. :)

petesgirl
05-03-2016, 04:59 PM
So, my friend (the mom of this baby that I watch for her while she is working) got worried that at 11 months she won't do any weight bearing. Mom took the baby in for an x ray at pediatrician's request and the baby has hip dysplasia! Has anyone on here had experience with hip dysplasia?

Simon
05-03-2016, 07:40 PM
Depending on the severity, the treatment can be very significant (surgery/hip casting). I am glad they got her checked out but sorry to hear that was the result.

ShanaMama
05-04-2016, 12:46 AM
The good news is that the Ped and /or mom are on top of the issues. No advice though, but you are a good friend.