PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant and nervous about upcoming trip

boltfam
03-08-2016, 09:45 AM
We had been trying to get pregnant for several months, and it turns out I will be 13 weeks pg for our first ever Disney trip the beginning of April for our kids' spring break. We are very excited to be expecting but I have been having horrible, debilitating "morning" sickness around the clock and am not looking forward to doing Disney in that condition. I am taking unison/b6 and am hoping to be over the worst of the "morning sickness" by then, but it has lasted up to 20 weeks in previous pregnancies, so I can't count on feeling better by then.

I feel bad to be complaining, and this is such a first world problem, but my DH gets all uptight on vacation. Always thinking we have to be busy, pushing me to go, go, go, that I just don't see how this vacation will be enjoyable for any of us. Honestly, vacations are some of the most stressful times in our marriage. In all seriousness, I suggested we go to marriage counseling to talk about vacations.

We we have a modest income and I am a SAHM, so this trip is a big deal and is costing a lot of money, so we want to be able to enjoy it. I tried to talk to DH about this last night, and he thinks it's pointless to go b/c he thinks I am just going to drag everyone down (thanks for the support, honey).

I told him I will need to rest a lot, drink a lot of water, and eat a lot of food ( and some of that will occur will the family is riding the rides I can't) but I still don't like his attitude and am just afraid that things are not going to go well there. I tried to convince him that a good trip is where everyone has fun and enjoys themselves, and no one is going to be able to do that if we're rushing here and there, uptight because we're not getting our $ worth., and fighting. He seemed to be realizing that toward the end of the conversation, and we have still decided to go.

We have 5 day park hoppers and the water parks and more pass. We are planning on going back to the hotel in the afternoon while we are staying on-site for pool/ rest time. And I told him that if I'm really not feeling well, he can take the 3 kids to the park for a while by himself. Two days we are off-site, so not sure how that's going to work. One of those days is at AK and then our 2nd day at MK. Anyone have suggestions on how to make this trip enjoyable for both of us? Or should we still think about postponing our trip?

gymnbomb
03-08-2016, 10:10 AM
What will his reaction be when you say one morning (or afternoon) that you are really not feeling well and he should take the kids and have fun while you stay back at the hotel? Will he say "ok, we'll miss you, hope you feel better" and then go have a good time with the kids? Or will he grumble about it and make all of you miserable by not letting it go?

boltfam
03-08-2016, 10:18 AM
What will his reaction be when you say one morning (or afternoon) that you are really not feeling well and he should take the kids and have fun while you stay back at the hotel? Will he say "ok, we'll miss you, hope you feel better" and then go have a good time with the kids? Or will he grumble about it and make all of you miserable by not letting it go?

He might not be happy about it, but I think, in the end, he would go and have a good time with the kids.

gymnbomb
03-08-2016, 11:37 AM
He might not be happy about it, but I think, in the end, he would go and have a good time with the kids.

That would make me feel better about it. But you know him and the dynamics of your relationship best. If you think you could get him to agree and be ok with you going and doing your best, but bowing out (by sitting on a bench in the shade or by staying at the hotel) for the good of yourself and baby when needed, you could all have a good time. If you don't think that will happen or if the stress of worrying about it is just too much, then maybe not.

123LuckyMom
03-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Where are you staying? What kind of transportation will you have? If you're staying on site, I would actually plan with your husband that you will be spending most of the time at the hotel. Your family will get to the parks at rope drop and do most of the thrill rides in the early morning or on FASTPASS, right? What I would do is have them go off by themselves early while you stay at the hotel. You can rest, swim, take it easy. When they come back midday, you can hear all about what they did in the mornings. Then you can set out with them after the rest time. I know our pace is pretty frantic in the mornings as we rush to get in all we can before the crowds arrive, but we're much more relaxed in the afternoon/evenings once the big rides are out of the way or are on FASTPASS. If you only spend afternoons and evenings in the parks, you'll have a couple of hours, dinner, and then a ride or two before the evening show/fireworks, right? You can probably handle that. And you can be the evening parade/fireworks spot holder if you get tired. That's a useful role! I'd make sure you bring a small backpack with snacks and a big water bottle. Don't count on going to a cart or restaurant every time you need a bit of food or drink. That really will be a problem. Pick and choose a few things you want to do with your kids at each park, be there for those, and spend the rest of your time resting and pampering yourself. I'd urge you to use touring plans or some other site to help you plan out your days ahead of time. Then you'll know to a pretty large extent when each ride will happen. If you feel up to doing more than a few rides, that will be a bonus, but plan ahead of time that your husband will be solo with the kids most of the time. That way your husband will be spared having to slow his pace for you, and you will be spared having to push yourself, and you can still get to build memories with the family. My mom once got really sick on a Disney trip. We were staying at the Grand Floridian the year it opened, and I have vivid memories of our room and telling my mom all about my morning and what I had loved. I remember that more than the rest of the trip, in fact. Just because you're not going to be part of all the action doesn't mean you're not going to be part of the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

citymama
03-08-2016, 02:11 PM
Just wanted to say congratulations! I totally hear you on the "morning" (afternoon and evening) sickness. Make sure you are always carrying light snacks (saltines, bananas) at hand to avoid acid reflux - and maybe pack your lunches too if food smells accentuate the nausea.

DualvansMommy
03-08-2016, 03:44 PM
Where are you staying? What kind of transportation will you have? If you're staying on site, I would actually plan with your husband that you will be spending most of the time at the hotel. Your family will get to the parks at rope drop and do most of the thrill rides in the early morning or on FASTPASS, right? What I would do is have them go off by themselves early while you stay at the hotel. You can rest, swim, take it easy. When they come back midday, you can hear all about what they did in the mornings. Then you can set out with them after the rest time. I know our pace is pretty frantic in the mornings as we rush to get in all we can before the crowds arrive, but we're much more relaxed in the afternoon/evenings once the big rides are out of the way or are on FASTPASS. If you only spend afternoons and evenings in the parks, you'll have a couple of hours, dinner, and then a ride or two before the evening show/fireworks, right? You can probably handle that. And you can be the evening parade/fireworks spot holder if you get tired. That's a useful role! I'd make sure you bring a small backpack with snacks and a big water bottle. Don't count on going to a cart or restaurant every time you need a bit of food or drink. That really will be a problem. Pick and choose a few things you want to do with your kids at each park, be there for those, and spend the rest of your time resting and pampering yourself. I'd urge you to use touring plans or some other site to help you plan out your days ahead of time. Then you'll know to a pretty large extent when each ride will happen. If you feel up to doing more than a few rides, that will be a bonus, but plan ahead of time that your husband will be solo with the kids most of the time. That way your husband will be spared having to slow his pace for you, and you will be spared having to push yourself, and you can still get to build memories with the family. My mom once got really sick on a Disney trip. We were staying at the Grand Floridian the year it opened, and I have vivid memories of our room and telling my mom all about my morning and what I had loved. I remember that more than the rest of the trip, in fact. Just because you're not going to be part of all the action doesn't mean you're not going to be part of the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

I really would do what luckymom suggested! I did that approach with our family trip to WDW with one grandma and a set of another grandparents. At that time of planning/booking DS1's grandparents really really wanted to take and experience his first Disney while they were able/alive. Grandma was 85, so we knew it was really the only chance to do it if not later. I didn't really want to go as was heavily pregnant, so compromised to do the trip when DS2 was barely 4 months old.

So I went ahead after making sure DH was on board with the idea/plan I would take more of leisurely approach by hanging with DS2 back at the pool/hotel while DS1, DH and all grandparents did heavy stuff all morning. It truly worked out really well for everyone in our group, and DS1 still remembers his trip with fond memories while I felt better about fulfilling grandma's wishes too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boltfam
03-08-2016, 10:12 PM
Great plan, 123LuckyMom! That definitely sounds like a win win situation. We are staying onsite at Port Orleans Riverside the first 4 day's and will either use Disney transportation or our own vehicle (what would you recommend?). The last two days we are off-site (not very close) but one will hopefully be a shorter day at AK, and then maybe I can just power through the last day at MK. I will feel bad about missing out on some of the experiences with the kids, but I think your plan sounds like something DH will agree to and takes some of the pressure off from me to try to keep up.

Thanks for the congrats, citymama, and for the commiseration on the "morning" sickness. It just gets soooo old. I will definitely have to pack some of the foods you suggested.

boltfam
03-13-2016, 09:27 PM
I find that I am ravenous in the morning and a big, protein-filled breakfast seems to help the nausea. I have eggs most mornings.I am dairy free and cannot bring myself to eat hard boiled eggs. We were planning on eating breakfast in the room, but I don't see how that's going to work for me.We will have a fridge and a microwave, I believe. Any suggestions or should I plan on the rest of the family eating in the room and me getting breakfast somewhere else?

mikala
03-13-2016, 09:59 PM
How are you with nuts? I'd probably plan to have a peanut butter bagel or some trail mix in the morning for protein.

gymnbomb
03-13-2016, 10:11 PM
Could you get a microwave egg muffin cooker (couldn't get link to work, sorry, but comes right up on google!) and make a breakfast sandwich?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boltfam
03-14-2016, 03:14 PM
How are you with nuts? I'd probably plan to have a peanut butter bagel or some trail mix in the morning for protein.

I eat a lot of nuts, but as hungry as I am in the morning, they only serve as a snack. ;)

boltfam
03-14-2016, 03:17 PM
Could you get a microwave egg muffin cooker (couldn't get link to work, sorry, but comes right up on google!) and make a breakfast sandwich?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had never heard of those before! Thanks for the idea; I'll have to check it out!

gymnbomb
03-14-2016, 04:57 PM
I had never heard of those before! Thanks for the idea; I'll have to check it out!

They are popular with my parents friends who travel in RVs and my Mom got us one for Christmas. It is pretty handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BunnyBee
03-16-2016, 02:19 PM
I've been to WDW while in the throes of all day sickness, and it sucks. Have you tried Zofran? It worked for me briefly, and it took the edge off the week we were there. We go regularly, so it wasn't that big of a deal for me to be miserable and for us to take a relaxed approach. I sat on benches. Rode rides that were boring again and again. Saw every movie available in Epcot. Your DH's bad attitude certainly won't help matters. It's his baby, right? It's not YOU that's "bringing everyone down." How awful. :(

For breakfast, what about those freezer egg sandwiches? Peanut butter isn't pleasant to throw up, but I sometimes could keep it down on a bagel as PP suggested. Nuts or nut butter stirred into instant oatmeal. Protein bars--you could make your own or buy dairy free ones. Bonk Breakers makes one that I could keep down while pregnant: http://bonkbreaker.com/nutrition-bars/peanut-butter-jelly-protein/

One thing to look into is whether your DH will be able to ride the rides with all 3 kids alone. You may need to rider swap with some of them. I can't see your kids' ages, but generally, a child under 7 has to be next to an adult or person 14+. So he and any kids under 7 would need to fit into the same seating area. Some CMs may be slightly more lax on this than others.

boltfam
03-21-2016, 08:43 AM
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, definitely DH's baby, and I was really hurt by his selfish attitude. We have continued to talk about this, so I hope a lot of setting realistic expectations beforehand will help while we are there.

I have not tried zofran but I upped my unison/b6 combo, which has helped. I'm still nauseated but not nearly as bad as even a couple of weeks ago, which is a relief! protein bars are a good idea. I'll have to see if I can find one I can tolerate. I get bad reflux during pregnancy, too, so unfortunately, I have to avoid chocolate, which my yummy homemade ones have.

Dcs are 8,5, and 3, but we're not riding very many big rides. My kids are kind of wimpy. ;) DS (a big 8 yo) could probably ride by himself, and then can DH can rider swap with DDs (5yo and 3yo) Is that how it works?

DH didn't like the idea of me hanging back at the resort :(, so I see a lot of benches and sissy rides in my future.