PDA

View Full Version : The Internet Ruined My Life tv series

rlu
03-08-2016, 11:44 PM
On syfy of all places. Our MS Principal just had a principal's tea on Social Media and oversharing information and was looking for a program she could bring to the school to discuss with the kids. She knows of one local and will most likely arrange for it (assemblies or in-class worksheets/discussion not sure) for next year. I remembered seeing commercials for this series and have set to DVD. (I emailed the principal this info as well). If appropriate we plan to watch with DS (we'll preview the first episode which airs this week).

I watched the previews for two episodes, the language in #pissolympics is strong, but for middle school ok enough I think for the topic.

http://www.syfy.com/theinternetruinedmylife

Starts tomorrow night - anyone else planning to show their older kids?

Meatball Mommie
03-09-2016, 01:23 PM
I have seen the commercials for this program as I watch "The Magicians" on SyFy :) I was intrigued but I didn't really think about the potential of watching with my son. I will record and preview to see if it's something worthwhile showing him. He hasn't gotten into social media (yet) as he's not allowed (yet), but his peers have.

As a side note, would you mind telling me about the "principal's tea" you mentioned. I wish our private school held programs for parents and I'm trying to get ideas together for a proposal to our principals (have 2 - one for grades 1-6 and one for 7-12). Any info you can pass along would be great!

StantonHyde
03-09-2016, 03:17 PM
Lots of schools have parenting topics presented at a coffee hour or evening with the experts, etc. One school has a parent book club where they read parenting books or education type books and discuss. Internet Safety is a big topic. I have also seen topics like: what is developmentally appropriate for x age range, making friends, the Spirited Child, handling back talk in middle school, drug/alcohol use prevention, etc.

TwinFoxes
03-09-2016, 03:27 PM
I've never heard of this show. I do wonder about someone who says "The internet ruined my life...so I decided to go on reality TV." ;)

rlu
03-09-2016, 04:35 PM
I've never heard of this show. I do wonder about someone who says "The internet ruined my life...so I decided to go on reality TV." ;)

I see that but on the other hand, these people are a cautionary tale and if they can make some money legitimately while warning others to not be stupid or to be more savy, more power to them. I don't think syfy hands out big money. Plus, their names and faces are already out there forever on the internet.

Meatball Mommy - both the elementary school and now middle school have "principal teas" either every month or occasionally where the principal hosts an informal meeting with parents to discuss first an agenda (social media was the last one) and then open up to any questions parents may have to throw at her. Furthering the point of her agenda last week, the questions usually start "my kid saw a post/tweet that such and such happened at school..."

Meatball Mommie
03-09-2016, 07:13 PM
This is exactly what I wish our school would address! I read all this stuff here, elsewhere online and in books but don't have anyone to discuss this with. Maybe I need to make a separate post in the lounge for ideas. I really feel that our school has dropped the ball on addressing social media especially with the parents. They offer NO programs for the parents alone :(