PDA

View Full Version : Protein Shakes for Muscle Recovery?

lovin2shop
03-09-2016, 03:44 PM
I've recently joined Orange Theory and am working out fairly intensely (for me anyway), every other day. A friend of mine that is into weightlifting has highly suggested that I do some kind of muscle recovery shake after working out. Something high in protein, amino acids, etc. I've never done any weight lifting to this extent, and my muscles have been really sore. Also, I am not a big meat eater and do likely lack in protein consumption overall. But, I'm very wary of these types of products and would love some guidance on a reputable brand. I am generally in a big hurry to get to work after working out, so it also has to be really quick and easy. Also, I am trying to lose weight, so I obviously do not want it to be high in calories. Would also prefer to avoid the multi-level marketing companies, so something that I can purchase from a regular store would be ideal. Any suggestions?

ray7694
03-09-2016, 03:48 PM
The protein powders always upset my stomach so I use food for protein. Cottage cheese, eggs, string cheese, and milk are good sources.

willow33
03-09-2016, 03:48 PM
For me it was trial and error to see what didn't upset my stomach and tasted good. I ended up getting Jay Robb Egg White protein. It's not a meal replacement, it's just protein and I add it to water with half a banana. My DH likes Now Foods whey protein isolate in dutch chocolate. We buy both on amazon. Maybe go to a store like Vitamin Shoppe and buy some samples and see what you like? Seems like everyone has a different favorite.

mmsmom
03-09-2016, 04:08 PM
I do almond milk (very low cal), 1 scoop protein powder from TJ's or Naked Peanut Butter powder and sometimes a banana.

mmommy
03-09-2016, 04:23 PM
I find that whey-based proteins really upset my stomach. Pea-based protein powders and hemp-based protein powders seem to work well for me. But you'll want to try a few and see what works for you and tastes good. I have noticed much less soreness. I tend to drink 1/3 of my shake before a workout and 2/3 after, but that's just how it works into the rest of my day.

SnuggleBuggles
03-09-2016, 04:24 PM
Try something as simple as chocolate milk.

cvanbrunt
03-09-2016, 04:43 PM
I love, love, love OrangeTheory! I go 3 or 4 times a week and have one of these after http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ID6CG9Q?keywords=eas%20advantedge%20carb%20cont rol%20shakes&qid=1457556078&ref_=sr_1_5_a_it&sr=8-5

It is cheapest by the case from Amazon. In store prices are outrageous. This is a pea protein, I don't eat dairy.

bcafe
03-09-2016, 05:25 PM
I lift pretty heavy weights and for now I use whole foods as protein. I like canned salmon or hard boiled eggs because they are easy and quick. Tuna is great too but the brand I like is pricey unless I get it at Costco. Fage greek yogurt (plain) has a lot of protein in it as well.

Simon
03-09-2016, 07:09 PM
Agree with whole foods as a first choice. String cheese, hard boiled eggs and Greek yogurt parfaits are very popular at our gym.

AnnieW625
03-09-2016, 07:30 PM
Try something as simple as chocolate milk.

That is what my DH does. I usually eat a cheese stick and a slice or two of nitrate free deli meat. I don't drink much milk anymore or I would probably do the chocolate milk. DH uses Quik powder.

StantonHyde
03-09-2016, 07:53 PM
Are you drinking enough water?? That's the first thing I would do. I drink 2-3 quarts a day plus another 1-2 quarts during/right after a workout. And then try chocolate milk. Then get a foam roller and roll your leg muscles out every night. Also stretch really well after your workout and every night before bed time.

Green_Tea
03-09-2016, 09:01 PM
I love Tera's Whey. They sell it at WF.

mmsmom
03-09-2016, 09:15 PM
My Wegman's has a bulk bar for smoothies with all kids of protein powders and others like greens powders. A good way to try things in small quantities if you have a Wegman's.

pastrygirl
03-09-2016, 10:09 PM
I love the Solgar whey protein powder (chocolate) mixed with unsweetened chocolate almond milk and PB2 (powdered peanut butter). YUM.