PDA

View Full Version : 2 yo complaining her knee is hurting. What would you ask doctor?

Philly Mom
03-09-2016, 08:13 PM
My 2 yo DD keeps says her right knee is hurting. This has been going on for more than a month. She will repeat stories so we were going with that for awhile but at this point it has been enough. I am taking her to the doctor tomorrow. What questions should I ask/think about? For additional info that may or may not be related...she has been drinking a lot recently. She also has hypoglycemia though I would think these last two items are unrelated. FWIW, she is very active and having no visible issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

lmr1101
03-10-2016, 12:28 AM
Depending on where on the knee it might be nothing. Around 2 years old my dd2 complained of knee pain off and on for a year. She was fine most of the time and very active, but at other times couldn't walk because her knees hurt so much.
This sounds silly, but it turns out her size combined with the way Dh was holding her would hurt her knees. When he picked her up her knees hit right across his arm and they would end up falling asleep. The dr kept checking her and could never find anything wrong. Now that she is taller she has outgrown the problem.
Hopefully it is as simple as that.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains mobile app

KpbS
03-10-2016, 12:33 AM
Yes, I would go in and have her examined. A month is a long time for a 2 yo. It's probably nothing, but better to have it checked out and you can mention the increased drinking.

lmh2402
03-10-2016, 10:04 AM
my DD complained daily for several months about the back of her knee(s) hurting. she would at times weep and say she couldn't walk

after at least two months I brought her to the doctor and they did a full rheumatological workup and all came back clear.

because the pain wasn't only in one knee - sometimes one, sometimes the other, sometimes both - the pedi thought it was highly unlikely that there was a structural issue or injury at play and I agreed.

we chalked it up to growing pains, but I still kept track of how often she complained (complains). It's much less frequently lately and I notice it's usually when she's really tired.

she has grown a TON in the last year - she's officially wearing size 5 for arm and leg length, though they bag on her b/c she has such a slight build.

so perhaps it's growing pain?

regardless, I'd take her in and ask the doctor

newnana
03-10-2016, 11:14 AM
Because it's just one knee, because wait and see has not worked, and because of my odd family history, I'd ask for an xray. But that's just me and I know that it would help me feel better to rule out some specific things, otherwise it would keep gnawing at my brain and Dr. Google is bad for me.

Philly Mom
03-10-2016, 11:24 AM
Thanks everyone! We have an appointment this afternoon and I think I will ask about their opinion of diagnostic testing. DD2 has had a strange medical history so that makes us a bit more apprehensive with her. She's the kid when you think it is nothing, it is actually something.

hillview
03-10-2016, 12:20 PM
I'd ask about lyme

Philly Mom
03-10-2016, 12:27 PM
I'd ask about lyme

Good thought. Thank you!!

hillview
03-11-2016, 01:57 PM
Good thought. Thank you!!

How was the doc?

Philly Mom
03-11-2016, 02:32 PM
How was the doc?

Good. Her physical exam was perfect. The doctor did a very thorough physical exam. The doctor is assuming it's nothing but sending us for blood work anyway.

hillview
03-11-2016, 02:33 PM
Good. Her physical exam was perfect. The doctor did a very thorough physical exam. The doctor is assuming it's nothing but sending us for blood work anyway.

good news!