PDA

View Full Version : I need business casual ideas

bcafe
03-09-2016, 08:54 PM
I begin my new job soon and it's business casual. Jeans are allowed which I find interesting (doesn't seem like bus. casual to me). I am used to wearing scrubs and then SAHM wear. Shoes can't be open toe or over a 2" heel. What kind of slacks are versatile and comfy? I need shoe recs too. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
03-09-2016, 09:18 PM
I mostly do jeans. :). I have a few pointe pants that are comfy too (last year, Costco). Skirts and dresses too. I pretty much just go for comfort. Fitted ts and nice cardigans plus accessories are good. I do mostly ballet flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDKmom
03-09-2016, 09:46 PM
My favorite slacks are the exact stretch style at The Limited. I like Me Too shoes for flats. If you have a Loft or Ann Taylor outlet near you, I would check for tops there.

Kindra178
03-10-2016, 12:39 PM
An easy way to get some cute tops would be to do Stitch Fix for a few months. The more detailed you are in your descriptions as well as your needs and wants, the better the Stitch is. Limited work pants are great! Second the rec for AT or Loft. For shoes, look into booties, flats or loafers. Loafers without backs (mules) are the it item for the spring.

smiles33
03-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Are you at a desk job or standing/walking a lot? I find jeans uncomfortable if I'm sitting all day so I prefer black dress pants/ponte pants (which are usually paired with a sleeveless shell and cardigan sweater since office temps vary widely so I like layers). I even wear leggings sometimes but always with a long tunic or sweater to make sure my entire butt is covered. In the spring, I wear a TON of sheath dresses. I have something like 8 of these in pretty similar silhouettes but different necklines, colors, and patterns. It makes it so easy to get dressed at 5:30 am as I'm just grabbing a dress and slipping on wedges or slingbacks.

I also agree with PP's suggestion to use StitchFix if you don't have time to shop. I buy staples like black and gray dress pants and pencil skirts myself but go with StitchFix for interesting tops and dresses. I've used them 4 times now and I like that they provide curated options. Prices are more expensive than if I spent a few hours at TJMaxx or Nordstrom Rack combing the racks, but worthwhile to me for the convenience.

For shoes, I prefer slingbacks, wedges (these (http://www.6pm.com/product/8619157/color/3?zhlfid=139&kpid=36866385)from Cole Haan are on sale for $90 at 6pm), dressy leather boots (I save my casual Fryes for the weekend), or conservative slides/sandals. I used to wear flats and ballet slippers but I have plantar fasciitis now so I have to have at least a 1" heel or shoes large enough to fit my Orthotics (basically, sneakers or my Hunter rainboots). I'm surprised jeans are ok but not open toe shoes. Interesting dynamic. Plenty of women wear open toe shoes in my office place (e.g., peeptoe wedges, sandals in the summer) but we rarely wear jeans.

Hope this helps!

bcafe
03-10-2016, 03:20 PM
Yes, the shoes are throwing me for a loop. They can't be open in the back, over 2" high or under a 1" wide heel!