PDA

View Full Version : Weird Pampered Chef Questiion

anonomom
03-10-2016, 04:03 PM
A friend is having an online only party, and there are few things I'm planning to order (the Mix and Chop has been on my mental wish list forever). I was looking at the stoneware and I had a question: how does it feel? I'm talking the unglazed stuff like the bar pans. Does it feel like touching a terra cotta flower pot or like when you go to Color Me Mine and touch the unpainted items? I have weird texture issues and would absolutely not be able to handle a pan that felt like that.

And as long as we're talking Pampered Chef, I have a wish list a mile long. But I'm wondering if anyone has items that they definitely DO NOT recommend. I already know about the oil mister, as I hate mine. Anything else?

newnana
03-10-2016, 05:04 PM
To me, yes, like a terra cotta flower pot. Makes my skin crawl. Touching it= ew, the sound/feel of it going in/out of the oven or touching any other surface like the counter top/stove top, etc= ew. Putting it away where it touches other pans = ew. I didn't realize it would bother me when I purchased my stoneware (thankfully only 2 pieces) but I cannot stand it! And I wouldn't have thought of an accurate description of it, thank you for supplying one! That is spot on.

It's all Jimmy Fallon Ew!

I know some people love it. I just can't. I've tried. I would not purchase again.

vonfirmath
03-10-2016, 06:34 PM
I don't like the Pampered Chef Stoneware. It is heavy enough to be awkward to handle when hot.

If you have an IKEA nearby I also would not order the plastic bag tie things -- they are exactly like IKEA's but much more expensive. (unless color matters to you)

Their knives are VERY good and they stand behind them. My sister sold Pampered Chef about 8 years ago. One of her knives fell apart and Pampered Chef, after seeing the picture, said "That shouldn't do that. Let's get you a new one."

JBaxter
03-10-2016, 07:18 PM
It feels like terra cotta until it becomes seasoned. I love mine I don't own regular cookie sheets anymore. After its seasoned its slick feeling almost like its glazed. I've had one round for 20 yrs and another for 18 yrs. They are actually coffee colored now not quite black but close. I also have the rectangular one. I love them. I will cry if I ever break one. I have the deep dish baker and a bunch of other items collected over the years.

c&j04
03-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Sorry. Read OP wrong

*newmomma*
03-11-2016, 10:09 AM
Do you have the glass mixing bowls on your list? They come with lids, have the measurements on them, and have a handle and pour spout. These are the best IMO. I use mine almost daily.

khm
03-11-2016, 10:26 AM
I have the star shaped ground beef spatula/chopper thing. It is nice. I got a small spatula for brownies, and it is really cheap-feeling. It was only $6-7, but it feels like it should have came in a Target Dollar Spot pack of 10, it feels totally disposable.

Other attendees raved the black microwave steamer thing, but it is plastic, so eh. (They said you can steam veggies or cook frozen ground beef in it, etc.)

TwinFoxes
03-11-2016, 10:47 AM
I mostly have gadgets, not much cookware. But I love their gadgets. We have a pizza stone that I love. The texture doesn't bother me. It doesn't feel as weird as terra cotta does. I totally get why that would bug you.

This is the smallest thing, but I love their little microwave oven grips for taking hot dishes out. I microwave soup all the time in my pyrex, and those are perfect for taking the bowls out.

AnnieW625
03-11-2016, 11:52 AM
Their stoneware even when new doesn't feel weird to me. I have a bunch of their spreading tools, plus the plastic Santuko knife and I love them all. I also recently bought the mix n chop and it is pretty good as well. I would also recommend the deep covered baker. I have the small and large bar pans and I don't use them exclusively for cookies, but love them for pizzas, and cooking biscuits or other bread rolls. I don't have time to type out my entire pampered chef love or hate list, but do a simple search for pampered chef and you should find lots of recs. for it here.

MamaMolly
03-13-2016, 11:26 AM
:eek: I thought I was the only one with the weird texture thing. So happy to have found others!! I have a pizza stone I toted around for years and never used, then finally tried it a couple of years ago. Now that it is seasoned it is less creepy, but I hated it for a good long while. I still try not to touch it with my bare hands.

I love my mix and chop. Wish I'd bought it ages ago. I also love, love, love the new stoneware, the Rock Pot series. It is just glazed enough to not have that horrible chalky texture, and it really does go into the oven, microwave, dishwasher and freezer. DH dropped mine and broke it, and my heart. I'm going to replace it with two for my birthday.

kboyle
03-13-2016, 02:38 PM
My kitchen is like a PC warehouse. A great friend sells and when hosts haven't used their discounts she's let me use them. 95% of my cookware is PC and I would never buy anything else. Same with my cutlery, I'm trying to slowly replace all with PC. I'm eh on the stones, I have a round pizza one I try to use often but it's just not seasoned enough no matter how much I cook on it. I also have a used one that is seasoned PERFECTLY that I got from a neighbor, that thing is amazing. I love my deep covered baker also!! Perfect for quick meals. 12 min for cooked chicken breasts I chop with the salad choppers and perfect shredded chicken in minutes. I also have a rokcrok but i don't use as often as DCB.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

anonomom
03-13-2016, 03:10 PM
Thanks, all. I do find the stoneware mighty tempting. But I don't have a ton of storage space in my kitchen, so that makes a lot of item impractical. I already have (metal) mixing bowls, for instance, so the glass ones, though nice, would be redundant.

For those who are curious, I'm buying the chop & stir, slice & serve, angled measuring cups and the mini spatula. I'm trying to decide whether to get that last one in nylon or metal. The metal seems sturdier and more useful, but I don't want to scratch my baking pans.

Staraglimmer
03-13-2016, 11:26 PM
I LOVE my jar scraper. It gets every last drop out of every bottle it jar.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app