PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable hotel in NYC or Westchester?

123LuckyMom
03-10-2016, 04:26 PM
We're planning to take the kids to the car show at the Javits center right after Easter Sunday. It's a tradition my brother-in-law and nephew have, and DH wants us to join in. We always stay with my mother in Westchester, but this time we just want to go in quick and get out quick without alerting my mother, so we want to stay in a hotel. It'll be just one night. I'm scared of low budget hotels because of bedbugs and the like, but DH doesn't want to pony up ;), so I thought I'd ask you guys for suggestions. We're very familiar with White Plains/Scarsdale/Hartsdale and wouldn't mind staying there or somewhere like Larchmont/New Rochelle, but we don't know much about hotels in the area. Staying in the city would be even more convenient. Any suggestions for somewhere clean to stay that won't break the bank?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

theriviera
03-10-2016, 06:39 PM
I was just at a show at javits and stayed at the even hotel. It's on 35th between 8th and 9th. It was $270 a night for double occupancy. room was clean and the bed was super comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgenie
03-10-2016, 09:59 PM
The DoubleTree in Tarrytown was redone not too long ago. Plenty of parking and taxis at the station on the weekends. Just over 30 minutes to Grand Central. Tarrytown has a great Main St. Lots of restaurants in various price points.

https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/dt/reservation/book.htm?execution=e1s1

cuca_
03-10-2016, 10:11 PM
Check the Marriott Courtyard/Spring Hill Suites around the city. Often under $200. I've also heard good things about Affinia Hotels -- there are several locations in the city.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Green_Tea
03-10-2016, 10:15 PM
A few weeks ago I scored a room at the Times Square Hilton for $160. I've also stayed at the Hudson Hotel for less than $200/night. I used Hotels.com. Might be harder to find a deal over Easter weekend, though.

candaceb
03-11-2016, 12:06 AM
We are staying at the Hampton Inn in Yonkers tomorrow night after visiting the Bronx Zoo. It got really good reviews on TripAdvisor, and I got a Priceline Express Deal for $87+tax. It's a 35-40 minute train ride to Grand Central on the Hudson line from Yonkers and you can park in the Buena Vista parking garage near the Yonkers train station.

123LuckyMom
03-11-2016, 09:42 AM
These are great suggestions!!! Please keep them coming!!! I'm gathering a list!

123LuckyMom
03-17-2016, 09:04 PM
We are staying at the Hampton Inn in Yonkers tomorrow night after visiting the Bronx Zoo. It got really good reviews on TripAdvisor, and I got a Priceline Express Deal for $87+tax. It's a 35-40 minute train ride to Grand Central on the Hudson line from Yonkers and you can park in the Buena Vista parking garage near the Yonkers train station.

How was your stay, if you don't mind me asking. Would you recommend the hotel?

candaceb
03-18-2016, 09:04 PM
How was your stay, if you don't mind me asking. Would you recommend the hotel?

It was fine. We had some issues at check-in (they sent us to a room with 1 king after telling us we were getting 2 queens). They were very apologetic though and gave us a new room and bottled water to make up for it. My major complaint would be lack of soundproofing - you could hear anything that went on in the hallway. A big contrast to the next night (Millennium UN Tower) when we were next to the elevator and heard nothing at all. I was originally trying for the Hyatt Place on Priceline, and if I was paying regular rates, I would pick that over the Hampton. We drove past it - it is right in the middle of a new shopping center. For the $87 we paid, it was totally fine. Breakfast was standard Hampton Inn fare, coffee was decent, and the pool was clean.

123LuckyMom
03-19-2016, 11:49 PM
It was fine. We had some issues at check-in (they sent us to a room with 1 king after telling us we were getting 2 queens). They were very apologetic though and gave us a new room and bottled water to make up for it. My major complaint would be lack of soundproofing - you could hear anything that went on in the hallway. A big contrast to the next night (Millennium UN Tower) when we were next to the elevator and heard nothing at all. I was originally trying for the Hyatt Place on Priceline, and if I was paying regular rates, I would pick that over the Hampton. We drove past it - it is right in the middle of a new shopping center. For the $87 we paid, it was totally fine. Breakfast was standard Hampton Inn fare, coffee was decent, and the pool was clean.

I can't imagine paying only $87! That's amazing! Thanks for responding!

candaceb
03-21-2016, 08:41 PM
What's your date? The same hotel is coming up at $86 for the night of the 28th (since you said right after easter). You usually can't be sure of what you're getting with priceline express deals but it says "hint: you've booked here before" and that's the one and only hotel I've stayed at in Yonkers.

123LuckyMom
03-22-2016, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the head's up! DH is going to decide tonight. Everything seems to be on the bedbug registry, so how do we know where is safe? I'm a little bit afraid, so it's great to have recommendations from real people.

candaceb
03-22-2016, 08:43 PM
Honestly, I never look at the bedbug registry. Any hotel can have a problem at any level. We stay in hotels often enough that I try not to think about it too much and I also try to be smart about it - keeping stuff off the floor. We priceline hotels all the time and it's a complete surprise which hotel we get (like the Millennium UN 1.5 weeks ago in NYC) so we don't have control over it.

SnuggleBuggles
03-22-2016, 09:34 PM
Bedbugs happen even in nice places. I always rely on Trip Advisor reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

123LuckyMom
03-23-2016, 12:40 PM
Oh, I know the issue with bedbugs has nothing to do with the price point or luxury level of the hotel! I'm just worried about staying in a NY hotel in general, because all of them were so badly hit! I definitely worry more in NY than in other places, which may or may not be misguided. Also, I never stay in hotels in NYC, because we've always stayed with my mother, so aside from places like the Plaza, Waldorf and the like where I've been for events, I'm completely unfamiliar with the hotel scene.

DH wants to stay at the Times Square Hilton, I think. He wants to be in the city.

123LuckyMom
03-30-2016, 01:26 PM
Just an update for anyone who might be interested...

We ended up staying at the Times Square Hilton. We used a AAA price, and it was only $112!!! I think the same room the night before was $260. The room was very clean and perfectly nice. We had a truly amazing view of the Empire State Building from our window. I would stay there again.