PDA

View Full Version : DD coughing?

trcy
03-11-2016, 10:14 AM
DD, 5 years old, has developed this little cough the last few weeks. It is not productive and she has no other symptoms. Say her throat doesn't hurt, but she "needs to cough". It isn't even a full cough, more like a cough crossed with a throat clearing sound. I hate to say it, but it's quite annoying. Any thoughts? Allergies are the only thing I can think of, but she has never had allergies before. TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

hillview
03-11-2016, 10:18 AM
asthma? my DS1 gets a cough when he gets asthma symptoms

SnuggleBuggles
03-11-2016, 10:25 AM
Mine had that for about 6 weeks. Dr. wasn't worried. It was just annoying. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon
03-11-2016, 12:50 PM
Irritation caused by mild reflux or post nasal drip? Asthma was also my other thought.

Melaine
03-11-2016, 05:06 PM
We had the exact same thing with DD1 except it had gone on for about two months. The doctor mentioned several possibilities: nervous tic, asthma, reflux were most likely. We ended up trying a daily inhaler and the symptoms resolved. I am confident it's asthma because her twin and I both already needed daily inhalers, so this wasn't exactly a surprise. The cough was SO annoying because it honestly sounded a little fake to me but I have noticed she does the same thing when she is getting a bit of a cold.

trcy
03-11-2016, 05:31 PM
OP here. I had not thought of asthma. I haven't noticed it when she is active. Right now she is working on a puzzle and doing it, if that makes a difference. Do you think I should take her in or wait it out? Our insurance is coinsurance only, no copays. So going to the doctor is a lot out of pocket so I avoid it as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app