PDA

View Full Version : (updated in #13 -thank you!) please help - locked out

♥ms.pacman♥
03-11-2016, 11:07 AM
updated in post #13--thanks all!!
------

I am the stupidest person on earth.

In the car on the way to dropping of kids this morning, i realized I didn't have my house key (wasn't on the key fob). So I am now locked out of my house. DH of course is OOT for the next 3 days.

I'm at work now, not sure what to do. Call locksmith?? And what's worse, I don't remember where I left the key. :( i had taken it off yestwrday afternoon when i went for a walk with the kids but i dont remember what i did with it after that. am also worried to bc my DS is really sniffly had a fevwr thw other day and I'm worried school will call me to pick him up..and I have no house key so cant evwn take hI'm home.

I am shaking. I cannot believe I did something so stupid. I called DH and he said they make have to break down the door. :( horrible timing too as I have very little PTO as it is from staying home with sick DS this week and I have tons of stuff to do at work.

Definitely a "want to crawl in a hole and die" moment. :(

gymnbomb
03-11-2016, 11:09 AM
I would call a locksmith. I am sure they take care of this all the time, though I don't know how. I am assuming you are sure you have no unlocked Windows/doors and no keypad or other way of getting in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

♥ms.pacman♥
03-11-2016, 11:11 AM
Thanks. And of course no keypad otherwise there would be no problem. We had a schlage keypad at our old house (which was awesome) but we never got around to installing it at our new house.

SnuggleBuggles
03-11-2016, 11:13 AM
It'll be fine. It'll be fast and easy, I bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom_hanna
03-11-2016, 11:15 AM
Call a locksmith. If you have id and can prove you live there, they should be able to open your door for you.

kristenk
03-11-2016, 11:19 AM
This is not a major thing. Call a locksmith ASAP and meet them at your house. We've used Michael's Keys before and been happy and felt safe. (We got the recommendation from our real estate agent.) They might service your area, too.

Don't panic! It'll be fine.

kep
03-11-2016, 11:21 AM
This is not a major thing. Call a locksmith ASAP and meet them at your house. We've used Michael's Keys before and been happy and felt safe. (We got the recommendation from our real estate agent.) They might service your area, too.

Don't panic! It'll be fine.

Yes! It will be okay. :)

lalasmama
03-11-2016, 11:24 AM
Yep, call a locksmith. When I did this (on a rainy day, broken down car, had to take DD by bus to the auto parts store, forgot keys), it was about $50. They just pick the lock. Easy peasy when it happened to us.

hillview
03-11-2016, 11:28 AM
random but assume no dog walker, house cleaner, or other person has a spare key?

JamiMac
03-11-2016, 11:31 AM
Can't you just open your garage door with the door opener and go in that way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AngB
03-11-2016, 11:38 AM
Stinks but try not to freak out too much, it will be ok. My friend locked her DS who was barely 2 at the time in the car, in the winter. (She remote started it to warm it up but set her keys in the diaper bag which she put in the car with the child, then shut the door.) It must have been a really slow day for our public services because they sent a police officer who called the fire truck and they ended up sending 2 fire trucks. My kids were in heaven and her son was fine.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-11-2016, 11:54 AM
Thanks all. I am at house now with locksmith ..hopefully can get door open. Says will be $55 if they can get it open so not too bad

I can open garage door (I am in garage now) but the door to the house is still locked. We always lock that door no matter what, even if garage door is closed

No neighbors have spare key unfortunately. only other person who has key is our cleaning lady (who came yesterday) but I know she lives far away (like 45min drive) so I hesitate to ask.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-11-2016, 12:26 PM
thanks again all!!

locksmith couldn't pick the lock (our house is brand-new and i recall our builder saying they installed super high tech "smart locks") so he ended up having to drill it and take knob off (door in garage). replaced it with cheapie knob for now . the guy was super nice and everything. thank goodness for Angie's list!!

once inside, i found my key in a pair of pants. normally i am super vigilant when i take the key off and am pretty sure about replacing it back on the fob with the car keys (i have to take it every time i go running from home, at least once a week) but remember i was distracted after getting inside, i think bc DD needed to go potty or osmething.

when DH gets back we're going to replace that garage one with the original set and get Schlage keypad one for the front. just gives peace of mind.

anyway, thanks all for talking me down. i guess dh freaks out about this kind of thing too. i guess it also brings back memories of when i was a kid, my mom (who i'm fairly certain has ADHD) was always forgetting her keys, getting locked out of the house or the car (once she left her purse on top of the car, and had to call the police) and my dad was constantly giving her grief about it, how it was careless/irresponsible and all that..plus as kid (since i was like 5 years old) was constantly scolded for leaving my car door unlocked when we went somewhere, how it was so careless & irresponsible, so it's just been drilled into my head. i don't usually do things like this or forget wallet or whatever..but this week with DS sick had been stressful and put me over the edge. Sigh. thanks all. off to work now..

mmommy
03-11-2016, 12:35 PM
You're doing great ms.pacman! It's annoying, but totally normal to sometimes forget things, especially when we're stressed.

belovedgandp
03-11-2016, 01:03 PM
Nah, totally normal. Although I do get wanting to kick myself over those kind of things. I can remember at least four times in the past two years where I've managed to lock my keys in the car.

We do have a keypad for the garage which is wonderful. I also hid a house key in my garage. We live in and out the garage in nice weather and I don't always have my keys with me when we're all outside doing yardwork and playing. But the kids have locked the interior door on their many trips in and out of the house.

newnana
03-11-2016, 02:07 PM
We do have a keypad for the garage which is wonderful. I also hid a house key in my garage. We live in and out the garage in nice weather and I don't always have my keys with me when we're all outside doing yardwork and playing. But the kids have locked the interior door on their many trips in and out of the house.

This is what I was going to suggest. Make some extra keys. Stash one in a hidden place in the garage because even if you can get in there but you leave the door from the garage to the house locked, you can be in this situation again. It's just easier to have and not need.

Glad you got in!

smiles33
03-11-2016, 02:24 PM
Glad to hear you eventually got back inside! FYI, we love our Schlage keypads! Then you can go running without having to bring a housekey or hiding one in an area someone can find. I installed one on our garage entry door, so you need to know the garage door keypad to get into the garage and then the second (different) code to open the door. That's an extra layer of protection in case you're worried about someone seeing you key in the front door code or testing out different codes on that entry.

specialp
03-11-2016, 04:13 PM
Glad it was an easy fix. This stuff happens to everyone or else there wouldn't be locksmiths and the need to hide spare keys! Don't feel bad about it.

RedSuedeShoes
03-11-2016, 06:37 PM
Glad you got it figured out!

When we bought our house and did a 3-month-long remodel before moving in, we had a lockbox with key inside on the door for workers coming and going. Once we moved in, DH decided to leave it on the back porch railing (changed the code first!). I can't tell you how many times we've relied on it to get into our own house. The kids all know the code (and know not to tell anyone else), and we've given it to neighbors a couple times when we are out of town or whatever. Now that we have a high schooler who sometimes walks home, he can always get in without having to remember to take a key.

mackmama
03-11-2016, 07:48 PM
Totally normal - everyone does stuff like this! I sure do. Don't beat yourself up, and tell those ghosts from the past that it's time to let them go. You did great here. You had a problem, you found the solution. Bravo! Now be gentle with yourself, and do something nice for yourself tonight... a bath, glass of wine, facial mask, dessert, watching a favorite show or something. It's all good.

Twin Mom
03-12-2016, 01:31 AM
Glad you got in without too much trouble. I wanted to add that I have a house key in my desk drawer at work too, in case I realize I can't find my key and I'm at the office. We also have a key hidden in the garage and a keypad on the garage door. I used to have a lock box in the garage at my old house but don't have one here. May just install one of those in the garage b/c I'm paranoid that my DC are going to show another kid where the key is hidden in the garage. You can also put a key in your gym bag if you usually keep it in your car. I also have a house key hidden in my car! Can you tell I'm paranoid about being locked out?!

♥ms.pacman♥
03-12-2016, 08:01 PM
thank you again everyone!! feeling much better about it now. this was the first time it has happened and had no idea what to expect. y'alls comments mean a lot..i am used to being super hard on myself. this week was just crazy stressful . i went home and after getting kids just popped a frozen GF pizza for dinner. so easy..don't know why i don't do it more often :)

Glad you got in without too much trouble. I wanted to add that I have a house key in my desk drawer at work too, in case I realize I can't find my key and I'm at the office. We also have a key hidden in the garage and a keypad on the garage door. I used to have a lock box in the garage at my old house but don't have one here. May just install one of those in the garage b/c I'm paranoid that my DC are going to show another kid where the key is hidden in the garage. You can also put a key in your gym bag if you usually keep it in your car. I also have a house key hidden in my car! Can you tell I'm paranoid about being locked out?!

thank you for this, this is a great idea. i will probably do this (until we can install keypad on front door). i would do the car, but then about 10% of the time DH & I switch cars (depending on if one needs maintenance or who is picking up kids), so keeping an extra key at work would definitely help with the "i have access to car but not the house" situation if it ever happens again, plus it's definitely somewhere safe that nobody could find by accident or whatever.