PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel about this: Serial podcast at school?

California
03-11-2016, 09:10 PM
Looking for opinions on this.

For the past three days DS's 7th/8th grade humanities class has listened to the Serial podcast and then discussed it. His teacher was out sick yesterday and today, so it may be a "sub filler" activity. (The first day, though, the regular teacher was there.)

But... if it's not a "sub filler" and they continue listening to it next week, I've got very mixed feelings about it. Some of the content is pretty mature. I personally found it depressing. And, it just seems like they could find a better use of their time. DS is not finding it all that interesting to sit around and listen to a podcast.

AnnieW625
03-11-2016, 10:34 PM
At that age I wouldn't have an issue with it. Any younger like in the 6th grade it most likely would have given me a pause, but at 13/14 or 12/13 it wouldn't bother me.

If it bothered me I would email the teacher and ask her/him the reason they are listening to the series.

TwinFoxes
03-11-2016, 10:41 PM
Which season? I think the current one would be really interesting for that age group. A way to get into current events that might appeal to kids (your DSL notwithstanding). The fact that he doesn't find it interesting isn't all that big a deal, a lot of kids don't find their studies interesting.

bisous
03-11-2016, 11:04 PM
Which season? I think the current one would be really interesting for that age group. A way to get into current events that might appeal to kids (your DSL notwithstanding). The fact that he doesn't find it interesting isn't all that big a deal, a lot of kids don't find their studies interesting.

I agree that it depends on the season. I thought the first season was brilliant but not terribly educational. But I feel like I've learned a ton about current events and recent history in Season 2.

As a historian and would be teacher I can see value in teaching the material from Season 2.

BUT I have two concerns:

1. Why would you need to listen to it repeatedly day after day together? Why not assign it as homework? You could listen to excerpts together in class as applicable but just passively listening? Why would you need to do that unless you were filling time?

2. The language is pretty strong in season 2. I'm curious as to how others feel. At one point I wondered if I wanted to continue with it because there were a LOT of f bombs between the soldiers and the movie producer doing the interviewing.

If my child was listening to multiple episodes in class I'd honestly think it was extremely lazy of the teacher. That it is for humanities is interesting to me. Maybe they are studying podcasts as a new form of art? Serial is very well done. I can see the value there for maybe one episode and again I think it could be done in pieces.

Kindra178
03-12-2016, 10:21 AM
No issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
03-12-2016, 11:59 AM
I listened to the first season, my DD is that age, nothing in that series that she hasn't already heard language wise. I'm not sure I see the purpose but I guess if the teacher frames the discussion and relates it the curriculum it might be interesting/worthwhile.

123LuckyMom
03-12-2016, 11:18 PM
Well, I wouldn't be thrilled about it, but not because of the subject matter or language, just because I think classroom time could be better spent with active teaching and communication rather than with passive listening. I'd rather the listening was homework and the class time was for discussion. I'd also like to understand how the content of the series furthered the teacher's educational goals. I just don't see either series as particularly valuable as educational material, so I'd like to understand what the teacher was hoping to convey through using the series.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app