PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Miele Vacuums.

kep
03-12-2016, 01:10 PM
I am ordering a new vacuum today. We have 75% hardwood floors, the rest carpet, and two dogs. Our house has four levels, and three sets of stairs. I now have children that can vacuum, but the deal killer is always hauling the vacuum up and down the stairs. They only consist of between 6-8 steps each, but they are fairly tall steps. I was underwhelmed with our old Dyson. I am looking at the Miele's on Amazon, but I know absolutely nothing about Miele in general, let alone which model would be good for our situation. We had an upright before, and it was so heavy and ackward to move on the stairs. Any advice or BTDT? No specific budget.

toby
03-12-2016, 01:25 PM
I am ordering a new vacuum today. We have 75% hardwood floors, the rest carpet, and two dogs. Our house has four levels, and three sets of stairs. I now have children that can vacuum, but the deal killer is always hauling the vacuum up and down the stairs. They only consist of between 6-8 steps each, but they are fairly tall steps. I was underwhelmed with our old Dyson. I am looking at the Miele's on Amazon, but I know absolutely nothing about Miele in general, let alone which model would be good for our situation. We had an upright before, and it was so heavy and ackward to move on the stairs. Any advice or BTDT? No specific budget.

I balked at the price of the Miele, but I am really happy with it. We have the canister type (Libra) and I haul it up and down our various levels. It isn't light, but it sure beats the upright. The one downside is that it has a short cord. I deal with this by just keeping an extension cord with it.

I went back and forth on whether I should get the "swivel" floor attachment and am SOOOOOO glad I did. It is worth every penny and makes it super easy to get in corners and all of the stairs. I think it is called "parquett twister."

AnnieW625
03-12-2016, 01:29 PM
I would go to a vacuum store and check out the models in person. We don't have one, but Electrolux also makes good vacuum. We have a 9 yr. Dyson DC14 and have 98% hardwood floor covered with area rugs. Every time it gets sluggish we clean the air filter and brush and it is like a new vacuum, but I know others who haven't had the same luck as we have.

My parents have more carpet than you and love their Shark Navigator. They have a Miele electric broom and honestly it is just so so in their opinion. My mom couldn't bring herself to spend $500 on another Miele so the $250 or whatever she paid for the Shark was more her speed.

kep
03-12-2016, 01:34 PM
I would go to a vacuum store and check out the models in person. We don't have one, but Electrolux also makes good vacuum. We have a 9 yr. Dyson DC14 and have 98% hardwood floor covered with area rugs. Every time it gets sluggish we clean the air filter and brush and it is like a new vacuum, but I know others who haven't had the same luck as we have.

My parents have more carpet than you and love their Shark Navigator. They have a Miele electric broom and honestly it is just so so in their opinion. My mom couldn't bring herself to spend $500 on another Miele so the $250 or whatever she paid for the Shark was more her speed.

Thanks, Annie! I was originally going to get a Shark, but then my MIL offered to buy as a new vacuum, and mentioned that she was fully expecting it to be in the higher price range. Sooo, I have expanded my search. :)

kep
03-12-2016, 01:34 PM
I balked at the price of the Miele, but I am really happy with it. We have the canister type (Libra) and I haul it up and down our various levels. It isn't light, but it sure beats the upright. The one downside is that it has a short cord. I deal with this by just keeping an extension cord with it.

I went back and forth on whether I should get the "swivel" floor attachment and am SOOOOOO glad I did. It is worth every penny and makes it super easy to get in corners and all of the stairs. I think it is called "parquett twister."

Thank you!! The information about the swivel attachment is very helpful. I will look for that for sure!

AnnieW625
03-12-2016, 01:39 PM
Thanks, Annie! I was originally going to get a Shark, but then my MIL offered to buy as a new vacuum, and mentioned that she was fully expecting it to be in the higher price range. Sooo, I have expanded my search. :)

Nice! :) I think the Miele ones I really liked at the time (a canister, and an upright) in 2007 before I settled on the Dyson were $700, but I just couldn't spend my own money on a vacuum that expensive so I bought a $400 Dyson instead. If someone else was paying I for sure would've gotten a Miele.

squimp
03-12-2016, 02:08 PM
I just bought a new Miele canister after previous Miele canister died after 12 years of hard use. The new ones are really nice and light and quiet and easy to carry. Do you have a vaccuum store? I went and look at all the options there, and they gave me $200 in trade. I like the powerbrush head for carpet and the parquet tool for the wood floor - our house is about 50-50 Yes they are expensive but I feel worth every penny.

For all that carrying you might want to look into Oreck. One of our house cleaners had one of those and she loved it, so light.

acmom
03-12-2016, 04:24 PM
For all that carrying you might want to look into Oreck. One of our house cleaners had one of those and she loved it, so light.

We have an Oreck and it is much lighter to carry up and down stairs than any other vacuum we have had. My cleaning lady loves it bc of that. We have a dog, with a mix of hardwoods and area rugs and it works well for us.

hillview
03-12-2016, 05:16 PM
We have 2 meiles and love them. One is 7 years old and one is new. We have this one. And it is expensive. Miele Complete C3 Marin Canister Vacuum Cleaner

pastrygirl
03-13-2016, 08:39 AM
I love my Miele! I lived with a Dyson that I hated for 18 months, and then did a trade-in towards a Miele. I don't use it much now since we have a house cleaner and she brings her own vacuum. But the Miele is light enough that my kids like to vacuum, I can carry it easily up and down the stairs, etc.

kep
03-13-2016, 09:36 AM
I love my Miele! I lived with a Dyson that I hated for 18 months, and then did a trade-in towards a Miele. I don't use it much now since we have a house cleaner and she brings her own vacuum. But the Miele is light enough that my kids like to vacuum, I can carry it easily up and down the stairs, etc.

Wonderful! Which Miele did you end up with?

kep
03-13-2016, 09:38 AM
We have 2 meiles and love them. One is 7 years old and one is new. We have this one. And it is expensive. Miele Complete C3 Marin Canister Vacuum Cleaner

That's a beauty! It's over what we are looking to spend, but amazing looking. Thanks for sharing!

kep
03-13-2016, 09:39 AM
We have an Oreck and it is much lighter to carry up and down stairs than any other vacuum we have had. My cleaning lady loves it bc of that. We have a dog, with a mix of hardwoods and area rugs and it works well for us.

Squimp and acmom, I have never heard much about Orecks. I will have to look into them more!

kep
03-13-2016, 09:41 AM
So, I ended up ordering a Shark for now, while I do some more research on nicer vacuums. Our Dyson died yesterday, and with our crew we need one ASAP. ;) I am planning to eventually keep the Shark downstairs for kid vacuuming, and the nicer vacuum upstairs for the carpet. Less carrying, right? Lol

trcy
03-13-2016, 09:46 AM
Squimp and acmom, I have never heard much about Orecks. I will have to look into them more!

I have had an Oreck for years and I love it. We are currently living in a house that is half laminate and half tile. I have read that you shouldn't use a rotating brush on laminate, so I am only using my Oreck on the tile. When I had carpet, I was amazed how well the Oreck cleaned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

Ms B
03-13-2016, 06:28 PM
So, I ended up ordering a Shark for now, while I do some more research on nicer vacuums. Our Dyson died yesterday, and with our crew we need one ASAP. ;) I am planning to eventually keep the Shark downstairs for kid vacuuming, and the nicer vacuum upstairs for the carpet. Less carrying, right? Lol
Actually, I support the multiple vacuum paradigm. We keep our big canister vacuum upstairs where the carpet is and use a stick vacuum on the ground floor, which is tile and hardwoods with a couple area rugs, and the basement, which is all Berber. So much easier than lugging a vac up and down all the stairs!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

pastrygirl
03-14-2016, 09:36 AM
Wonderful! Which Miele did you end up with?I have the Antares model, which I'm not sure is still available. It's red.

I also bought a Shark Navigator for my finished basement (but have since moved). It was great for down there, but I hated going back to a non-retractable cord! I also don't like having to empty out the container and clean the filter for a main vacuum. I did like how it came apart for easier mobility -- I could remove and carry just the canister to vacuum the stairs, or I could keep the whole thing together for regular vacuuming. It did a great job on our velour bean bag chairs with all the cat hair.