PDA

View Full Version : Is it unreasonable to tell my eye doctor that I want to purchase contacts elsewhere?

JustMe
03-12-2016, 01:15 PM
My eye doctor is great. My daughter and I both have some vision issues and he has helped us both. He came with great recommendations and has lived up to them. I have been using him for several years now.

I have contacts and dd has had glasses, but is ready for contacts now. Neither of us have contacts covered under our insurance. With me at least, my eye dr does a lot to find the best contact for me. In addition to the usual, when he narrows it down to 2-3 pairs, he gets samples of both and has me try them for a week or so. This has been great.

So, what I have done is order 6 months from him and get the next 6 months from Costco as I havent felt like I could tell him I don't want to purchase from him after he does the whole sample thing. Now with dd getting contacts too I would really like to purchase contacts for both or us from Costco (or if anyone knows of anyplace cheaper from there) from the beginning.

Would you tell your eye dr this? Or am I stuck paying for the contacts for both of us for the first 6 months. I believe mine are at least double in price from what I pay at Costco.

TwinFoxes
03-12-2016, 01:27 PM
I would be up front with him. He may come down in price. Or he may not give you all the extras, like free samples. Or nothing may change at all.

I think it would be crappy to let him do all the extras, and then say "we're buying elsewhere."

kep
03-12-2016, 01:27 PM
I would just be upfront, and say something like, "I would like to get my contact prescription from you, if I could. My insurance does not cover them, and I need to purchase them somewhere that better fits my budget."

I think most eye doctors give out prescriptions all the time, for various reasons. I know it feels awkward, but I would just be straight with him from the beginning.

squimp
03-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Just ask for the prescription. My DD wears a tough contact script and they were really expensive through the Dr's office, some bought a 6 month supply then started buying online. The lenses had different names for dr offices vs. online, with is confusing and a little misleading, but we figured it out. Saved at least 50%.

I always ask for my script and I ask them to write down the P.D. No explanation needed. But it is so I can get glasses online. It is your body not theirs, you deserve the info.

ETA - I would not say what he is doing is "extra", it is standard good practice. There is a contact fitting fee that we had to pay.

mom2binsd
03-12-2016, 02:28 PM
My eye doctor will match the cheaper prices. Just ask. Don't feel obligated to purchase there.

JustMe
03-12-2016, 02:49 PM
Thanks. He has alays given me a prescription (which is how I buy my contacts for the 2nd 6 months) when I ask. I just haven't had the guts to tell him I don't want to buy any contacts from him. However, with dd now starting to wear them too, I think I will just tell him at the beginning of our appointment, which is in a few weeks, and see what he says.

egoldber
03-12-2016, 02:51 PM
They are required by law to give you your prescription. Contact lenses and glasses are a moneymaker for them. I would not feel bad at all. A contact fitting is part of the service you pay for at their office.

But you may find that your prices have risen in the last year. There has been recent controversy over contact lens manufacturers setting price minimums which has made it very difficult for discounters to offer prices as low as they had been able to offer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/27/business/contact-lens-makers-and-discounters-tussle-over-price-setting.html?_r=0

mommy111
03-12-2016, 03:27 PM
I would let him know at the beginning......he probably charges the fitting fee, but may not be able to give extras like samples to use at home. Maybe he can match the discount, although he may not be getting the kind of deal that Costco is with buying in bulk

abh5e8
03-12-2016, 05:12 PM
A little of topic... But it's Costco cheaper then 1800 contacts?

I go to an optimist and ask for my RX, then buy from 1800 contacts. But prices recently seen way higher then in the past. I buy my glasses from Warby Parker and they have been fine.

MSWR0319
03-12-2016, 05:40 PM

I go to an optimist and ask for my RX, then buy from 1800 contacts. But prices recently seen way higher then in the past. I buy my glasses from Warby Parker and they have been fine.

I found visiondirect.com and Walgreens.com to be cheapest for me. I wear some from Acuvue though and they just stopped allowing discounts on their contacts, so I don't know that it will be any cheaper for me anymore.

MMMommy
03-12-2016, 06:24 PM

I checked into this recently and found that Costco wasn't cheaper than 1-800-Contacts for my Acuvue Oasys soft contact lenses. I prefer 1800 because they will exchange open boxes if your rx changes. Say you have a box with 3 lenses left, you can send those back and get the new rx lenses. Also, 1800 has the good rebate when you buy a year supply.

OP, don't feel bad about getting lenses elsewhere. Contact lens fitting is a service paid for, and it is common to get the rx and buy glasses and contacts elsewhere.

MMMommy
03-12-2016, 06:28 PM
Wanted to add that my DDs recently had their full annual eye exam (refraction, dilation, etc). DD2 needed contacts (due to gymnastics), so instead of doing her contact lens fitting at her doctor, we did it at Costco. I think about $50 cheaper than doing it at her regular eye doctor. Costco gave lens samples and was great.

eagle
03-12-2016, 10:31 PM
hes still getting $ from insurance for the exam. times all the people he sees everyday. youre not the only one to buy contacts everywhere. dont feel bad!

Mikey0709
03-13-2016, 12:06 AM
I just did some serious price comparisons for my contacts. I wear aqua comfort plus dailies.

1-800 contacts was actually one of the HIGHEST online prices for mine. The were $61.99 a box

In comparison Costco was $45 a box.

CHEAPEST I found (2nd year in a row now for me) was vision direct (run by drugstore.com). They were an incredible $31 a box plus 8% ebates! AND drugstore dollars issued later to use. Very fast shipping too. Great great deal!

Also vision direct send all the paperwork for manufacturer rebates!

Twin Mom
03-13-2016, 01:10 AM
I have vision insurance and always go to my regular eye doctor for the exams and buy the contacts at Costco. I don't feel bad not buying them there because they charge me a contact lens fitting fee when they give me samples. Surely that covers the cost of the pair or 2 they give me. I ask and my eye doctor won't match the Costco prices and my contact lens allowance goes further at Costco. When I ordered my DC's contacts last week Costco told me they are no longer allowed to discount the prices so that's why they give 10% back on a Costco gift card on all contact lens purchases now. I still think they are cheaper than my eye doctor!

specialp
03-13-2016, 07:25 AM
I have had contacts for 10 years (at least 6 years with the same dr.) and I have never, not once, bought them from the doctor's office. She doesn't give me a ton of samples. When she has changed my brand/type in the past, she gave me a pair to try and told me to call her back if I had any problems and she would try a different pair. I did one time. If it was an overall slight difference, sure I would buy them there. It is a significant markup and I buy a years worth at a time so I do not feel the least bit bad getting them somewhere else.

mcmanutm
03-13-2016, 09:58 AM
I never order from the eye doctor. It's simply too expensive and I can order them myself for a lot cheaper. I do not have vision insurance.

Check this thread out from Slickdeals:

http://slickdeals.net/e/7743925-acuvue-oasys-contact-lenses-24-packs-for-76-68-or-15-11-6-packs-contactsexpress-ca-canada?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

HannaAddict
03-14-2016, 12:46 PM
Just don't order and ask for a copy of your prescription. Or order online and they contact your doctor's office to confirm your prescription. Don't feel badly. What he is doing aren't "extras" but normal and good service by an eye doctor. I don't need multiple samples but when we changed types he had a pair of samples to use before ordering a full set. Making sure they are right and comfortable is what an eye doctor should do. And is reflected in his exam fees. Their mark up on contacts is so high I stopped ordering contact from the eye doctor a long time ago. It is insanely cheaper than from them and arrives at my house so is easier than stopping by to pick up later I always just ask for a hard copy of my Rx when I am checking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

babyonbrain
03-14-2016, 01:17 PM
I pay $100 for a contact lense fitting (some years insurance pays for it), which means I own the information that results from it. I have no qualms about buying my contacts from someplace else.

HannaAddict
03-14-2016, 11:36 PM
I pay $100 for a contact lense fitting (some years insurance pays for it), which means I own the information that results from it. I have no qualms about buying my contacts from someplace else.

I forgot about why the contact exam is so much more expensive, it is the fitting fee you pointed out,whether you buy them or not. Insurance doesn't cover that for me so I pay that anyway and don't feel guilty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scrooks
03-15-2016, 01:30 PM
Does 1-800-contacts use your insurance or do you just pay out of pocket? I get an allowance every year from insurance...$100 or $120 or something. It typically gets me 2 boxes or so (I may have to pay a very small amount $10-20). My contacts are supposed to last 2 weeks but I generally get a month out of each pair (just tossing them when they rip or get uncomfortable). Those 2 boxes have always lasted me at least a year.... I do also pay a copay for the exam ($30) but have never shopped around for contacts because it's never been an issue.