PDA

View Full Version : Need help from a golfer

american_mama
03-13-2016, 08:15 PM
My uncle died unexpectedly and left a lot of golfing equipment behind, some of it new in the box. He apparently had somewhat high end tastes. No one in my family knows a thing about golf; we don't even know what a lot of the equipment is called, much less relevant characteristics to describe it. Is there anyone here who can take pity on us and give us some pricing help? We are running a small estate sale next weekend in the small city where he lived. If Ebay would more appropriate for some of the items, that's ok too.

An acquaintance of my sister's said the major brand (Tom Wishon) is high-end and customized to the individual golfer. He said that makes it perfect for the original owner, but much less value for someone else, and he then declined to price it.

I looked at sold items with that brand on ebay and got some general prices listed below.

Set of Tom Wishon Clubs
• Info on the club: 16.5 949 MC Fairway (shaft = Aldila) (We have no idea what any of that means.)
• 3 drivers
• 6 irons
• 1 putter
• Padded covers (look kind of like socks) on the heads
ON EBAY: One Wishon iron sold $40, another for $32. A putter sold for $30. Wishon sand wedge and lob wedge sold together on ebay for something < $110. Would we be better selling this as a set, or individually? Is a driver worth more than a putter or an iron?

Golf Club Heads – New, unused, in shrink-wrap
• Brand: Wishon
• Size/number: A, P, 6, 7, 8, 9
• Shipped from Golf Ideas in York Town, PA
ON EBYA: Wishon head selling prices varied a lot.... $10, $35, $50, $40, $15, $56 for 7 heads. Why such a big range?

Golf Club Heads – New, unused, in nice wooden box, limited edition
• Brand: Wishon
• Size/number: SW, AW, PW, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, one more I can’t see the number (maybe 8!)
• Certificate of Authentication
ON EBAY: one current listing is asking $300 for 1 head in box with certificate, similar to uncle's complete set. I do have photos of my uncle's set, if anyone is really curious.

Shafts – New, unused (as far as well can tell)
• 5 – Wishon Zone Technology ZT Series ultralite, graphite shafts
• 3 – Titanium Sports Technology Shafts with price tag from 2007 $28.50 each
ON EBAY: 10 irons for $149, 8 for $220. I really am not clear if those listings were shafts only, or the shaft and head.

There are two other things we need help with. There is a Wishon labeled golf bag, probably not super new but looks good, no wheels, that I could not find listed at all on ebay. What price? And a "Swing Mate Range Finder ." I haven't a clue what that is and my sister did not photograph it for me. On Ebay, something popped up packaged in a plastic clamshell case, complete with some tees, price $12. Does that sound reasonable?

Philly Mom
03-13-2016, 08:23 PM
I like golf and am fairly familiar with most big golf brands and I have never heard of this manufacturer. Not sure I can be of help other than to check what people are reselling these irons for.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

JBaxter
03-13-2016, 08:54 PM
I just ask Dh who has golfed for all his adult life and he has never heard of that brand either

Twin Mom
03-13-2016, 09:12 PM
Can you find a receipt or something to see where your uncle bought the stuff? Maybe you could call the golf course where he usually played and ask. I would think they could at least tell you the retail prices if they sell that brand there. They might even have suggestions for resale.

DietCokeLover
03-13-2016, 09:18 PM
I agree, call the clubhouse for where he played golf and talk to the golf pro. He or she should be of some help. DH was a competitive golfer and still plays. He has never heard of that brand either.

elbenn
03-13-2016, 10:31 PM
I just did a quick google search for Wishon and since it seems that the golf clubs are sold according to fit, it may make more sense to sell on ebay. I just searched "wishon golf club reviews".