PDA

View Full Version : Cancun and exploring beyond...

elbert
03-14-2016, 09:20 AM
We're debating a short trip to Cancun in April (me, DH and DD9). We haven't been to Mexico before, but are basically just planning on a beach/resort type trip since we would only be there for 6 nights and DH will be coming off an extended period of 80+ hour work weeks. We would stay at the Ritz Carlton.

A few questions:

The water situation - how careful do we need to be in the hotel zone? I would assume we would drink bottled water, to be safe, but water about brushing teeth, ice in things, eating fresh produce, etc.

DH has suggested that we at least see a small piece of Mexico beyond the hotel zone if we're there. What's the best way to get some flavor - destinations, transportation options, etc.?

How buggy (particularly mosquito-wise) is the hotel zone? No chance of future pregnancy (so Zika wouldn't be devastating), but both DD and I are very susceptible to bug bites.

We are basically looking for a stress-free break - not a travel-the-world-and-explore trip (where we may take more risks) like we usually do when we have more time and energy.

TIA!

geochick
03-14-2016, 11:24 AM
The water situation - how careful do we need to be in the hotel zone? I would assume we would drink bottled water, to be safe, but water about brushing teeth, ice in things, eating fresh produce, etc.
At the Ritz, I'm sure the water is better than at a lot of places. In CUN and the Mayan Riviera, I always encourage my family to drink bottled water on and off the resort property. It's a requirement at the airport. But, I don't hesitate to let everyone drink icy or slushy drinks at the resorts (made with the resort's water). Read reviews of the resort on Tripadvisor. See what people are saying about the water quality. You'll also get a good idea about the safety of the fresh veggies, etc. Again, I think the Ritz will have better quality control than many other resorts.

DH has suggested that we at least see a small piece of Mexico beyond the hotel zone if we're there. What's the best way to get some flavor - destinations, transportation options, etc.?
We always use AGI for airport transfers and tours. I love them! Javier is the owner. He always takes good care of us, and they have always been on time. http://www.agitours.com/ With only 6 days, I'm not even sure I'd leave the resort. That said, my kids LOVED this little gem that's not far from the hotel zone: http://crococunzoo.com/ You could go see some ruins if that's what you're looking for. Tulum is much closer to the Mayan Riviera resorts than to CUN hotel zone. Chichen Itza would be a fairly full day.

How buggy (particularly mosquito-wise) is the hotel zone? No chance of future pregnancy (so Zika wouldn't be devastating), but both DD and I are very susceptible to bug bites.
Some resorts have more mosquitoes than others. It all depends on how much lush vegetation is on property or in the area. Again, check the Tripadvisor reviews to see what people are saying. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150807-d152886-Reviews-The_Ritz_Carlton_Cancun-Cancun_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

See bolded notes in the quote.

bnme
03-14-2016, 03:57 PM
Haven't been in a long time (and never with kids), but we love Xcarat, which is like a natural water/ecological park. I'd love to take my kids there. Check out the website, it is beautiful and great for kids I think. There is a lot to do in a contained area, and you can also chose to relax on the beautiful beach. I believe that there are also other places like that in Tulum, that are maybe more ecological/natural, and less of a "theme park". I think it was about an hour or less by bus. We also did a nice day excursion to Isla Mujeres. It is nice o go to another beach environment for snorkeling and exploring. We took a cataraman there.
Have a great trip!