PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Buick Enclave?

gymnbomb
03-14-2016, 05:42 PM
Would you mind sharing how much oil changes cost? Regular or synthetic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lmh2402
03-14-2016, 08:09 PM
we do and we just brought the car to the dealer last week for an oil change, but DH did it and he's traveling for work right now

i'll try to remember to ask him when I talk to him next ;)

gymnbomb
03-14-2016, 08:42 PM
we do and we just brought the car to the dealer last week for an oil change, but DH did it and he's traveling for work right now

i'll try to remember to ask him when I talk to him next ;)

Haha, thanks! Does it require premium gas? I swear I tried to google these things, but at least on my phone the results were not user friendly :)

We will probably not get one, but I am doing some preliminary research on a bunch of 3 row vehicles because DH has decided it would be nice to have. I can't actually argue with the usefulness, but I am less convinced that I will be comfortable driving it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
03-14-2016, 08:56 PM
Don't oil changes all cost the same? I mean, differences per location (per the Car Talk Guy's advice, I don't go to the big chains that specialize in oil changes) but I think my mechanic just charges a certain amount regardless of car.

gymnbomb
03-14-2016, 09:00 PM
Don't oil changes all cost the same? I mean, differences per location (per the Car Talk Guy's advice, I don't go to the big chains that specialize in oil changes) but I think my mechanic just charges a certain amount regardless of car.

I used to have a Saturn, and when they went out of business the dealership turned into a Cadillac place that also serviced Saturns. Oil change and basic maintenance prices for Saturns and Cadillacs (at least at that place) were very different. I don't know if that is standard for higher priced brands or was just a thing they did there because they could?

Kindra178
03-14-2016, 09:14 PM
Free at the dealer with Enclaves. We use regular gas in our car. I really love it!

AnnieW625
03-14-2016, 09:16 PM
I used to have a Saturn, and when they went out of business the dealership turned into a Cadillac place that also serviced Saturns. Oil change and basic maintenance prices for Saturns and Cadillacs (at least at that place) were very different. I don't know if that is standard for higher priced brands or was just a thing they did there because they could?

Yes a Cadillac oil change will be a lot different from a Saturn because a Cadillac doesn't have a Saturn or standard GM engine, it is supercharged and tuned just like a Corvette. Most luxury, German, and luxury Japanese brands require synthetic; diesels also require synthetic. I did a Google search and Buick does recommend a synthetic oil for their oil changes. You could probably get away without one. http://m.buick.com/certified-service/oil-change.html

I have paid $90-140 for a synthetic diesel oil change, but I only have to get an oil change every 10,000 miles. The dealer used to charge $150 for an oil change for my car. The first independent place I found charged $140 and the last independent place I found only charged 90.

gymnbomb
03-14-2016, 09:34 PM
I currently have a Corolla and a synthetic oil change at the dealer is around $50. I am sure I will have sticker shock with any larger SUV. After doing more research I think I am going to check out the Highlander and Pilot first, mostly due to size, but am not going to completely rule out the Enclave until I find out how much it would cost to get the one a family member is getting rid of soon.

Kindra178
03-14-2016, 10:37 PM
With two kids, the Pilot or Highlander should have plenty of cargo space.

Pennylane
03-15-2016, 07:55 AM
I currently have a Corolla and a synthetic oil change at the dealer is around $50. I am sure I will have sticker shock with any larger SUV. After doing more research I think I am going to check out the Highlander and Pilot first, mostly due to size, but am not going to completely rule out the Enclave until I find out how much it would cost to get the one a family member is getting rid of soon.

Will be interested to say what you end up purchasing as I'm looking at the same cars! We are a family of 5 and currently have a minivan but I'm looking to move into a smaller SUV with 3rd row seating. I've driven the Enclave and Pilot so far . Never thought about the cost of maintenance though.

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

jenmcadams
03-15-2016, 08:11 AM

We have a 2012 Pilot and use 87 gas at recommendation of our mechanic (so not 85, but not premium) and the oil changes on the new models (incl 2012) are synthetic and run around $90-100

lmh2402
03-15-2016, 08:58 AM
we use regular gas

i love our enclave

still haven't spoken to DH...maybe he'll call in a bit and i'll ask if we pay for it at the dealer

PZMommy
03-15-2016, 09:25 AM
Will be interested to say what you end up purchasing as I'm looking at the same cars! We are a family of 5 and currently have a minivan but I'm looking to move into a smaller SUV with 3rd row seating. I've driven the Enclave and Pilot so far . Never thought about the cost of maintenance though.

Ann

You should check out the newer Nissan pathfinders. We love ours!! We have had other nissans in the past and they last forever!

Pennylane
03-15-2016, 09:28 AM
You should check out the newer Nissan pathfinders. We love ours!! We have had other nissans in the past and they last forever!

Thanks for the info, I will!

Ann

Kindra178
03-15-2016, 09:36 AM
I loved the Pathfinder. And the sister Infiniti. It has less cargo space than the Enclave/Acadia/Traverse. The Enclave was simply meant for people who need a minivan but don't want one. For two kids, I think the pathfinder would work well, cargo space wise.

I should clarify that when I talk cargo space, I mean packing the car for a weeklong vacation with three kids, non perishables and clothes for the week. I don't want to deal with a Thule type thing

Corie
03-15-2016, 10:03 AM
We just bought a new car. We really wanted captains chairs so we looked at the Buick Enclave and the Toyota Highlander.
After test-driving both cars and seeing the inside of the cars, we decided on the Toyota Highlander. (It also has the 3rd row seating available.)
I love my new Highlander!! :)

ETA: Before the Highlander, I had a Honda Pilot.

Pennylane
03-15-2016, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=Corie;4177051]We just bought a new car. We really wanted captains chairs so we looked at the Buick Enclave and the Toyota Highlander.
After test-driving both cars and seeing the inside of the cars, we decided on the Toyota Highlander. (It also has the 3rd row seating available.)
I love my new Highlander!! :)

ETA: Before the Highlander, I had a Honda Pilot.[

So the Highlander has middle captain seats?

Ann

Corie
03-15-2016, 10:09 AM
So the Highlander has middle captain seats?

Ann

Yes!! My kids love the captain seats!

Pennylane
03-15-2016, 10:10 AM
Yes!! My kids love the captain seats!

Good to know! I'll have to add it to my list of cars to test drive. What made you choose that over the Buick?

Ann

Corie
03-15-2016, 10:12 AM
Good to know! I'll have to add it to my list of cars to test drive. What made you choose that over the Buick?

Ann

I'll send you a PM. You should have a PM in your inbox.

gymnbomb
03-15-2016, 10:51 AM
Ok, I'll check out the Pathfinder too!

So here is our situation... I currently drive a Corolla and am perfectly happy with it. On Saturday I went to IKEA and fit a daybed, 2 twin size rolled mattresses, a bunch of linens, a lamp, and my Mom and I into it without having to tie the trunk down. For 3 people packing for a week at a beach house, including stroller, pack n play and some food, it is just fine. We are strongly considering a second child, but that will be it. At a minimum we would need a vehicle that will hold 2 car seats and 3 adults (and my personal dream car is a hybrid Camry which would do that). But we do have our parents over fairly frequently. Like more than a month a year, and that will only be increasing since they are all retiring soon. So DH said it would be nice to have a vehicle that would hold 6. I agreed to look at larger things even though I strongly prefer smaller things. I said I would test drive ANYTHING, but he should expect me to be picky :)

So we don't need a lot of cargo space at all with the third row up. It would only be used for driving around town with family or for carpooling a few years down the road. Mostly we would have 4 people in it. And any 3 row vehicle will have plenty of cargo space when the third row is down.

Top of my current mental list are Highlander and Pilot since they seem to be among the smaller 3 row vehicles. But we have family with Acadia/Enclaves who like them, and DH would love a mini van, and now I am seeing recommendations for Pathfinders, so I think we will have a long list of things to test drive! Fortunately we are not in a hurry at all. My max budget is realistically going to be in the neighborhood of $25K so we will be looking at used when we do buy.

SnuggleBuggles
03-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Would just occasionally renting a bigger car be an option?

gymnbomb
03-15-2016, 11:31 AM
Would just occasionally renting a bigger car be an option?

I have thought about that. And if I can't find a 3 row vehicle I am comfortable driving every day, it is what I will suggest. But although I will be driving it to work every day and like to think of it as "my" car, and I do get to make the final decision, it is actually our family car so I feel like I should at least seriously consider DH's input. DH's vehicle is a company car so he can pick DS up from daycare in it and such when I am at work or out of town, but if "my" car is available we always drive it.

AnnieW625
03-15-2016, 11:43 AM
We had a 2001 Toyota Corolla for 12 yrs. and only put 87 (no 85 in California) in it and regular oil in it, same thing with our 2006 Honda Pilot. My brother is now driving the Corolla and I am pretty sure that he has never put synthetic in the car. A Corolla is a 4 cylinder engine so the oil changes are less than a 6 cylinder.

I personally would still consider th Enclave because even if you have to spend a little more for the oil changes you will probably end up saving more money buying a car used from a private party than buying new or even certified pre owned from a dealer for a car with the same amount of miles.

Philly Mom
03-15-2016, 11:43 AM
I'll send you a PM. You should have a PM in your inbox.

Can you tell me too? I am starting to look and looking at pilot, highlander, enclave and mdx. Thank you!

vludmilla
03-15-2016, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=Philly Mom;4177080]Can you tell me too? I am starting to look and looking at pilot, highlander, enclave and mdx. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app[/QUOTE

Hope I'm not a total pain...but we are looking to and leaning toward the Pilot but seriously considering these others too. Would love to hear what you think, Corie!