PDA

View Full Version : Spring Schedule

Twoboos
03-15-2016, 05:04 PM
Ugh. We had to sign up for Spring Sports back in the fall. Roster and practice schedule comes out - they are on the same team with team practice on Wed, larger age group practice on Mon.

DDs tried out for and got parts in a play. Rehearsals are on Wed & Sat. Of COURSE - there is a conflict!!

Try to switch teams, plead with coordinator and coaches. "Oh sorry plenty of people are in this situation, they just miss practices, we can't accommodate requests," even though there is a space for requests on the signup form, and I emailed them about the practices days a few weeks ago.

DDs talked to the play director about doing every other rehearsal - nope, not allowed, which I understand.

Each DD has 3-4 friends on the other team. Practice time is better on the other team. I can carpool with 3 families on the other team.

And so we shall remain on the team we were assigned. Now I have to force them to dump the play or miss 50% of sports practices, which I cannot believe the sports people advocate, and which I don't approve of quite honestly.

They are both so bummed, there were tears today. They can't do the play and they can't be on the team with their friends. (And I know it's not all about the friends. But when I look at the sports rosters it's unreal - it actually is all of their friends on the other team! I of course haven't said this to them, I keep talking up the people they casually know.)

This stuff is just annoying. I am trying to write a not-whiney email to the coordinator to say thanks for nothing. ;)

2ndtimearound
03-15-2016, 07:20 PM
How about if they just do the play and skip the sport for this season. You could sign them up for a clinic over the summer. Just an idea.

KrisM
03-15-2016, 07:58 PM
How old are they? I'd probably let them miss the sports practices. I think at younger ages getting to try different things is good. I know a lot of kids who do more than 1 sport and miss practices of both to make it work.

khm
03-15-2016, 08:02 PM
Ugh. We had to sign up for Spring Sports back in the fall. Roster and practice schedule comes out - they are on the same team with team practice on Wed, larger age group practice on Mon.

DDs tried out for and got parts in a play. Rehearsals are on Wed & Sat. Of COURSE - there is a conflict!!

Try to switch teams, plead with coordinator and coaches. "Oh sorry plenty of people are in this situation, they just miss practices, we can't accommodate requests," even though there is a space for requests on the signup form, and I emailed them about the practices days a few weeks ago.

DDs talked to the play director about doing every other rehearsal - nope, not allowed, which I understand.

Each DD has 3-4 friends on the other team. Practice time is better on the other team. I can carpool with 3 families on the other team.

And so we shall remain on the team we were assigned. Now I have to force them to dump the play or miss 50% of sports practices, which I cannot believe the sports people advocate, and which I don't approve of quite honestly.

They are both so bummed, there were tears today. They can't do the play and they can't be on the team with their friends. (And I know it's not all about the friends. But when I look at the sports rosters it's unreal - it actually is all of their friends on the other team! I of course haven't said this to them, I keep talking up the people they casually know.)

This stuff is just annoying. I am trying to write a not-whiney email to the coordinator to say thanks for nothing. ;)

Sorry, it is stressful! I would totally keep them in the sport and just hit the practices you can hit. It'll be fine. I'm batting about 75% for conflicts with my daughter for soccer/dance. It is what it is. I'd never want her to miss a season just because of a practice conflict.

If her sport was crazy high-level, then that's one thing, but we're just rec level for soccer and her coaches are fine with the practices she can make. Lots of the other girls have their own conflicts too. It is impossible for a dozen or more kids to all have a conflict free schedule these days! Now, there are the kids that are specialized within one sport or activity, but we aren't going down that path.

KpbS
03-16-2016, 02:33 AM
I like PP suggestions--take the season off for sports and do the play. :). Sounds fun and simplifies everything!! They can hop back in next season/year.

Twoboos
03-16-2016, 07:14 AM
Well bailing on sports means losing around $400 between registration, uniforms and equipment. No refunds without a medical reason.

They just did a play over the winter and this is the next one, so they already have that experience. I was thinking more along the lines of there are at least 6 plays a year they could do, and only one sports season (although I get most sports play year round now, there is no one "season" anymore!).

I finally talked to DH (he's away on business) and we decided they can miss the practices. I'm not totally comfortable with that and I'm afraid they'll miss something when the team is together. But I guess this is how it goes and we've been lucky so far not to have such a full-on conflict to deal with!

khm
03-16-2016, 09:41 AM
Well bailing on sports means losing around $400 between registration, uniforms and equipment. No refunds without a medical reason.

They just did a play over the winter and this is the next one, so they already have that experience. I was thinking more along the lines of there are at least 6 plays a year they could do, and only one sports season (although I get most sports play year round now, there is no one "season" anymore!).

I finally talked to DH (he's away on business) and we decided they can miss the practices. I'm not totally comfortable with that and I'm afraid they'll miss something when the team is together. But I guess this is how it goes and we've been lucky so far not to have such a full-on conflict to deal with!

It won't be a biggie. A couple Wednesdays will get rained out, etc. ;)

It's a bummer you couldn't switch, but really, I get it from their POV. Then the new team is two kids heavy, the old is two kids light. Then eleventy other kids want to switch. I get it. Ours is hard-line too, it's just too complicated and attaining a conflict-free schedule for every single kid just isn't possible anyways. :)

Really, conflicts are part of the deal. This won't be the last!

Mirthful
03-16-2016, 09:50 AM
I would try talking to the coordinators of the sport though. In a "just wondering ..." way. In my area, they will match up "switches" if there's someone else who wants to switch, and yes, it's usually for scheduling reasons.

gymnbomb
03-16-2016, 01:13 PM
I am sorry, but I will NEVER understand kids sports/activities where you don't know the required days/times before you sign up!! It is just ridiculous. Not knowing specific teams/coaches/location of games I can understand if they need to see how the numbers turn out, but not even knowing what days you are committing to? I know (from reading here, I never would have imagined this before) that this is common, but it is just stupid.

khm
03-16-2016, 02:36 PM
I am sorry, but I will NEVER understand kids sports/activities where you don't know the required days/times before you sign up!! It is just ridiculous. Not knowing specific teams/coaches/location of games I can understand if they need to see how the numbers turn out, but not even knowing what days you are committing to? I know (from reading here, I never would have imagined this before) that this is common, but it is just stupid.

In our league, there are typically 500 to 600 kids ages 4 to 14. Coaches aren't known until the kids register (all volunteer coaching). After the teams are divided up, and those who said they'd coach are assigned, there is usually still a large shortage of coaches.

So, the begging starts and additional coaches are assigned, typically running down to the wire. By the time all this is set, THEN the coaches work around their real jobs and the field conflicts with the other sports (we share with the school sports and with rec b-ball leagues), etc.

It is a huge, huge undertaking and one I do not envy!

jent
03-16-2016, 04:12 PM
In our league, there are typically 500 to 600 kids ages 4 to 14. Coaches aren't known until the kids register (all volunteer coaching). After the teams are divided up, and those who said they'd coach are assigned, there is usually still a large shortage of coaches.

So, the begging starts and additional coaches are assigned, typically running down to the wire. By the time all this is set, THEN the coaches work around their real jobs and the field conflicts with the other sports (we share with the school sports and with rec b-ball leagues), etc.

It is a huge, huge undertaking and one I do not envy!

This is our league too and I have been a volunteer coach. Typically once we get the season's roster I have sent out a poll of possible days for practice, but it's limited by my work schedule. I think our league does allow team switching if a player can't make practices at all, but they try to limit it-- they don't want the teams to be too imbalanced.

Mamabear4
03-16-2016, 07:23 PM
This is what drives me crazy about the sports around here. They actually use the lack of choice on practice days to incentivize parents to volunteer to coach - the theory being that if you are the coach, you get to pick your practice day. It drives me crazy, though!

egoldber
03-16-2016, 08:01 PM
but I will NEVER understand kids sports/activities where you don't know the required days/times before you sign up!

I agree. I know WHY they do it, but it simply does not work for us. I can't commit to an activity when I have no idea when the practices and games will be!

gymnbomb
03-16-2016, 09:04 PM
I agree. I know WHY they do it, but it simply does not work for us. I can't commit to an activity when I have no idea when the practices and games will be!

Exactly. Even without other activities or kids to juggle (which most people have...) my work schedule is not the same every day, so I need to sign DS up for things on days that work for us!

I guess I grew up in activities like swim team, dance classes, and gymnastics where when you signed up you knew what the hours would be. I don't know how people manage otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KrisM
03-16-2016, 09:09 PM
Exactly. Even without other activities or kids to juggle (which most people have...) my work schedule is not the same every day, so I need to sign DS up for things on days that work for us!

I guess I grew up in activities like swim team, dance classes, and gymnastics where when you signed up you knew what the hours would be. I don't know how people manage otherwise.

The difference is those things have paid coaches, not volunteers. It's their job to be there on a schedule. If you had to get volunteer coaches to work around a set practice schedule, it would be extremely difficult.

belovedgandp
03-16-2016, 09:37 PM
Yep, as soon as we get into a routine with our activities they change. DS1 has had the same Tuesday practice for five soccer seasons now. Coach had to change it to Mondays this season. Same for DD it had been Friday and originally said it would stick with Friday but some girls had conflicts so it was switched to Mondays also. We're making it work, but I'd definitely made plans assuming they'd keep it the same night. DH and I do not volunteer for soccer and these dads do a great job so I certainly kept my mouth shut and made it happen on our end. I try to appreciate the effort of volunteer coaches as much as I can.

vonfirmath
03-17-2016, 04:18 PM
How about if they just do the play and skip the sport for this season. You could sign them up for a clinic over the summer. Just an idea.

I'd let them do the play and skip the sport given the details.

gymnbomb
03-17-2016, 05:03 PM
The difference is those things have paid coaches, not volunteers. It's their job to be there on a schedule. If you had to get volunteer coaches to work around a set practice schedule, it would be extremely difficult.

I was thinking of the other order. Have coaches set practice schedule, then let people sign up. When teams are full they are full unless they recruit more coaches.