PDA

View Full Version : What's Reasonable for a House Cleaner?

anonomom
03-15-2016, 07:22 PM
We've had the same company cleaning our house for the last 4.5 years. In the past year or so, I've noticed that they don't actually seem to be doing much cleaning. They wipe down the kitchen and bathroom counters and sinks, clean the toilet, vacuum and damp mop the floor and dust anywhere they can easily reach. But there are other things that they don't seem ever to do -- wipe down the light switch plate in the bathroom, for instance, or wipe splash marks off the wall next to the sink. They also won't walk around the side or back of any furniture to dust it (my piano always has a "swoop" of clean space where you can see how far they reached, but the rest is dusty). Today, it didn't even seem like they'd done more than a cursory wipedown of my kitchen sink -- there was a rust mark that was untouched that I was able to remove with some baking soda and 10 seconds of elbow grease. They also don't try to get up anything that doesn't come off the floor with the first swipe.

What, if any, of that stuff is it reasonable to expect them to do? And how do I ask them to do a better job? They usually come at a time when I'm out of the house and when they are here, there is a significant language barrier. And I'll admit, at heart I am deeply uncomfortable with the idea of having people clean up my messes. But then again, I pay over $100 to have them clean just one floor of my house (about 1100-1200 sf, including a half bath). It seems like I shouldn't have to come home and finish the job if those things are reasonable to expect.

candaceb
03-15-2016, 07:35 PM
Unfortunately, I think that's just what happens with housecleaners. They start out great but do less and less. If you're using a service, you need to talk to the manager. If you're not, you need to find new housecleaners...

BananaMama
03-15-2016, 08:03 PM
With my cleaning lady, I leave her notes that basically very nicely say I want the house cleaner and here's a list of things to make sure you don't forget. That usually helps. She's been my cleaning lady for a few years now and does need reminders every so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pennylane
03-15-2016, 09:06 PM
Unfortunately, I think that's just what happens with housecleaners. They start out great but do less and less. If you're using a service, you need to talk to the manager. If you're not, you need to find new housecleaners...

Totally agree! I had cleaners for about a year and after about 6 months things started slowly going downhill. I think the price you are paying is fair but I would not hesitate to leave a note saying what I expected done each time and if it's not then time to look for someone else.

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

jgenie
03-15-2016, 09:13 PM

This is what I've found too. I had a wonderful house cleaner for 10+ years that moved away a year ago. I just stopped using my second replacement. I was having to wipe things that didn't get cleaned after they left. I'm on the hunt for a third try.

gatorsmom
03-16-2016, 12:42 AM
Not all housekeepers are created equal, that is for sure. 15 years ago I hired a cleaning company and each time they came out they would be in such a crazy hurry. They'd use the mop to sweep under chairs or sweep their arm across countertops and wood furniture. The swipes were so obvious and left a clear mark. I remember wondering why I was hiring them when I could easily do the same half-a$$ed job they did!

Andi I also had maids who insisted on being paid a set fee. And as time went on they did less and and my house was less and less clean.

What I have done that has worked for me for the past 10 years is give the housekeepers a VERY DETAILED list of everything I want done and I emphasize that I want it done EVERY TIME they come to my house. I give them the list and ask how long they think it will take to do that. If they insist on being paid the set fee, that's fine. If they then "forget" to do something I nicely remind them not to forget to forget before they leave. If they insist on being paid hourly I make note of how long it took them the first couple times to accomplish all that and then i ask why it took longer the next time. We discuss what cleaning products I want used and how I will provide those products. And I want them to use my vacuum cleaner not their own. The good, honest housekeepers have had no problem with doing things this way. The dishonest ones end up not staying because they don't want to put in the effort or don't want to stay as long as they need to to get all the work done.

jgenie
03-16-2016, 04:31 AM
Not all housekeepers are created equal, that is for sure. 15 years ago I hired a cleaning company and each time they came out they would be in such a crazy hurry. They'd use the mop to sweep under chairs or sweep their arm across countertops and wood furniture. The swipes were so obvious and left a clear mark. I remember wondering why I was hiring them when I could easily do the same half-a$$ed job they did!

Andi I also had maids who insisted on being paid a set fee. And as time went on they did less and and my house was less and less clean.

What I have done that has worked for me for the past 10 years is give the housekeepers a VERY DETAILED list of everything I want done and I emphasize that I want it done EVERY TIME they come to my house. I give them the list and ask how long they think it will take to do that. If they insist on being paid the set fee, that's fine. If they then "forget" to do something I nicely remind them not to forget to forget before they leave. If they insist on being paid hourly I make note of how long it took them the first couple times to accomplish all that and then i ask why it took longer the next time. We discuss what cleaning products I want used and how I will provide those products. And I want them to use my vacuum cleaner not their own. The good, honest housekeepers have had no problem with doing things this way. The dishonest ones end up not staying because they don't want to put in the effort or don't want to stay as long as they need to to get all the work done.

Any chance you have the list typed up and are willing to share it? :)

umsh
03-16-2016, 08:36 AM
Any chance you have the list typed up and are willing to share it? :)

Yes please share if you're able! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk