PDA

View Full Version : Downton Abbey Season 6 (Spoilers!!)

liz
03-15-2016, 08:11 PM
How did you all like it??

I just finished the final episode last night. I thought it was one of the better seasons and really enjoyed it. In general I like stories to have happy endings and it seemed just about every character got one. How did you feel about that? Some random thoughts (forgive the typos in character names):

Mary & Edith. Wow, that next to last episode where Mary spills the beans on Marigold. It was so awful! I couldn't believe that the character of Mary would stoop so low. I really, really disliked her in that episode. It seemed so nasty and just too cruel. I thought it was so selfish that Mary went ahead with her life and got married before she tried to make it up to Edith and patch things up. Also, the family just seemed to brush it off like "oh, that's just typical Mary". I feel like the family should have laid into her a bit about it, not just Tom. I know Mary & Edith have disliked each other since the beginning of the series- I remember the anonymous letter about Mr Pamook that Edith sent. That was pretty bad but it seemed like their relationship was improved following that first season. I think Edith's character was finally fully realized this season. She always seemed so wishy washy and so pathetic. It was nice to see her story line improve.

Of course Mary's story line seemed to work out perfectly, but I wish there would have been a bit more drama for her. She was so arrogant this season! Overall, I like that she met someone and got to move on with her life.

Violet, Cora & Isabel. The hospital story line was a bit contrived, but it gave all these characters a chance to shine for a bit. Love the Countess! She was always good for a laugh.

I like that they spent a bit of time talking about Sybil and Mathew. It was nice that that part of Downton history was not forgotten.

Mrs. Patmore, Daisy. They spent a bit of time working out how Daisy and Mrs Patmore would wind up and I was glad for that. As the downstairs staff was decreased it was heartening to know that they would have a good future.

Barrow. A villain for most of the show, the writers really gave it to him this season. His character was the better off for it and now he's butler to the maybe the only place his character would ever be happy.

Mr. Carson & Mrs Hughes. I wasn't sure if I was going to like their story line this season, but overall it gave their characters a chance to expand. It was sad to see Mr Carson retire in the manner he did though, that was unexpected.

Bates & Anna. Goodness, these characters needed some happiness and peace. A perfect (albeit boring) ending.

Curious to hear your thoughts. No one else I know watches Downton Abbey, except my mom, and I am dying to talk to someone about it :popc1:

georgiegirl
03-15-2016, 09:19 PM
I thought it was great! I agree that Mary should have paid for her extreme bitchiness in the second to last episode. You ruin your sisters life and then you get married? But at least everything worked out for Edith.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mackmama
03-15-2016, 10:36 PM
Loved it. Loved the whole show. I didn't think Mary's character was very likable during the whole run, but I still enjoyed watching her. So sad it's over!

m448
03-15-2016, 11:18 PM
I think Edith's words to Mary when she came back for the wedding were profoundly true. When everyone else is gone the siblings you have left are those who remember your loved ones passed and share your childhood memories.

I was surprised how quickly Bertie's mother changed her mind about Edith but was thrilled to see her get a bit of joy. I saw Mr. Fellowes mention a tweet along the lines of "if Edith doesn't wind up happy Julian Fellowes better sleep with one eye open." LOL

I was sooo happy to see Barrow given the opportunity to redeem himself and make a new beginning.

jgenie
03-16-2016, 04:41 AM
I was wondering if anybody was watching!! I loved it - loved the series, loved the characters - loved it!! I too thought Mary got off too easy. It was too late in the show for them to do anything else I think. I love that Edith found love and was really feeling for her with the awful MIL to be. I'm glad she came around and everything worked out. I was sad to see Carson step down the way he did. I had hoped for a happier send off for him. Pretty clever that Barrow will remain in the end. I will miss it!

div_0305
03-16-2016, 11:56 AM
It was all very feel good in the end, but I'm glad for that type of ending. I felt "satisfied" by the way the show closed. It felt like loose ends were tied. I keep comparing every series finale I watch with Lost, because no series IMHO could have a worse finale than Lost.

wellyes
03-16-2016, 02:48 PM
I never would have predicted, when the show started, that I would end up rooting for Edith. But really it was Bertie who was so likeable and decent, I think I was rooting for him and I knew Edith was what would make him happy!

Some of it was silly. Bertie's mom stopped being horrible for no reason. The old fellow who thought he was dying wasn't. Would Barrow really be a guest at Edith's wedding?

Too bad Barrow couldn't have a love interest. I guess it's realistic. I love how sweet he is to the little boy, I guess he does have one friend. And it does make a nice echo for the Carson/Mary relationship.

calebsmama03
03-16-2016, 03:38 PM
I never would have predicted, when the show started, that I would end up rooting for Edith. But really it was Bertie who was so likeable and decent, I think I was rooting for him and I knew Edith was what would make him happy!

Some of it was silly. Bertie's mom stopped being horrible for no reason. The old fellow who thought he was dying wasn't. Would Barrow really be a guest at Edith's wedding?

Too bad Barrow couldn't have a love interest. I guess it's realistic. I love how sweet he is to the little boy, I guess he does have one friend. And it does make a nice echo for the Carson/Mary relationship.

Bolding mine - I agree. I thought this whole season seemed "off" writing style wise. I was generally happy with how it all ended but this season seemed very out of sync with the writing of the rest of the series. Sad it's over.

Philly Mom
03-16-2016, 03:46 PM
Bolding mine - I agree. I thought this whole season seemed "off" writing style wise. I was generally happy with how it all ended but this season seemed very out of sync with the writing of the rest of the series. Sad it's over.

I totally agree.

citymama
03-17-2016, 03:49 AM

Love this observation - it hadn't occurred to me.

In the way some of these storylines flipped, or were contrived, it reminded me I was watching a fantastically made and enacted soap opera. I think it ran its course and ended when it should have - and I liked the happy endings for sure! (But watch out for 1929, just around the corner, folks...)

Twoboos
03-18-2016, 01:04 PM
I was happy with the ending for all the reasons Liz stated! I knew Barrow had to come back, just wasn't sure how they were going to take Carson out of the equation.

I was definitely not happy Mary caused such problem for Edith then just went about her merry way and everything worked out so nicely for her. Good thing she fixed the Edith situation. Even though you KNEW they had to give her a happy ending, I was concerned. And yes her MIL came around way too easily based on what everyone else had said about her. But oh well - willing suspension of disbelief and all. ;)

div_0305 please don't ever bring up the Lost ending again. I am still bitter. And confused. At every single finale now I'm thinking, "Please be better than Lost!!!!" :rotflmao: