PDA

View Full Version : Non-profits acknowledging support?

*myfoursons
03-15-2016, 09:38 PM
We support approximately 10 charities with a large annual gift, along with all of the assorted smaller donations that comes up through the year from other charities. We donate mid four figures and up, so not small amounts. I usually keep about 5 of the charities the same, and rotate new ones in based on interests or things I've found through guide star. I used to work at a large non-profit making a pittance 😏 and I'm happy we're in a position to be able to support worthwhile charities.

However, three of the the non-profits haven't even responded with a donor response letter, or any sort of acknowledgement that they received the funds. I'm amazed at this, as I remember how hard people at my old organization worked to get and retain donors. One of the organizations I was really happy to start funding, as I've also started volunteering there. It's a great place, and I know it does great work, but I can't believe they're not acknowledging donors at all?! A food bank I chose to support this year sent a lovely hand-written letter inviting me to their facility for a tour and a more in-depth look at how their organization works. I thought that was great, and will most likely start volunteering there, too.

I feel like contacting the charities I haven't heard from to see if they received the donation. Is that silly? I mean even for tax purposes, you usually receive some sort of basic form letter acknowledging receipt. My husband wants to strike them from the rotation and replace them with charities that "have their act together" as he says. Thoughts?

squimp
03-15-2016, 10:20 PM
I am surprised you don't receive an acknowledgement. I donate less than that to our school foundation each year and they automatically send an acknowledgment with their tax ID on it that I can use for my taxes. I don't blame you for being a little miffed. And I would call them and ask for a note.

SnuggleBuggles
03-15-2016, 10:46 PM
One of the charities we support only sends something in December. We hadn't given a large donation so I'd actually forgotten until we got the letter. So, maybe they have a similar system?
It could also be that they don't have someone tasked with the job of sending thank yous. It's a rookie mistake...and one I almost made the first year I ran a fundraiser. I've also missed a few donations over the years if they have come at off times or non traditional ways. Sometimes there's a slacker on the other end...sorry. You're still super appreciated but follow through sometimes gets lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solsister
03-16-2016, 12:06 AM
Hmmm, interesting dilemma. For tax purposes I would want the form, I suppose, but I was always taught that you should not expect any sort of acknowledgment for donating. I'm not sure I would penalize a charity due to no thank you note. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't, actually. I'd probably let them know, though.

o_mom
03-16-2016, 07:13 AM
I am wondering if there is an issue with your mail. We donate to a variety of charities as well, and all except the PTO send letters right away (PTO does not have the resources to do it and they say up front that your cancelled check is your receipt). It seems very unlikely that 3 out of 10 would not send acknowledgement, especially at those levels. Have the checks cleared?

chlobo
03-16-2016, 08:09 AM
For tax purposes a non-profit is required to send a note for any donation over $250.

I think that for a gift that large I would expect some kind of acknowledgement, as that is a big part of retention and major donor grooming. I have supported a lot of charities over the years and I know that personally I get a better feeling from those that acknowledge the gifts in some way. However, maybe they just don't have the staff to do it. Since you volunteer there could you maybe inquire about their donor retention strategy? Maybe you could even help them set up something for acknowledgements.

*myfoursons
03-16-2016, 08:41 AM
Chlobo, I've thought about that, as I know the donation comes through under my husband's name, so it wouldn't be awkward.

I know the checks were sent out, because we keep a fund through my husband's company where the money all gets sent out at the same time. It's not so much the "thanks" I want, it's knowing that the charity has a structure in place to support its activities, you know? I've worked at 3 non-profits, one huge (a United Way) and two other small ones (a transitional home for women and children and a home for abused women). All three had great organizational structure and were on top of donor relations. While in college, I worked at our university's center for social concerns coordinating volunteers, and I still pitched in and helped to write thank yous to donors if needed.

I may follow up with the charities. For any size donation, I think it's appropriate to follow up with a thank you upon receipt, not just at end-of-year for tax purposes.

khalloc
03-16-2016, 09:04 AM
I work in higher ed institutional advancement. We ALWAYS send a letter out within a few days of a gift acknowledging the donation.

belovedgandp
03-16-2016, 09:35 AM
Yes, I'd read lack of acknowledgement as a symptom of larger structural/organizational issues. Now I do get annoyed when those communications get really flashy and too frequent. I guess you can't pleas us all.