PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your toaster oven?

mackmama
03-16-2016, 11:56 AM
Please recommend your toaster oven. We have never had a toaster oven, but our toaster just broke and our oven doesn't work - so I thought this might be a good time to get one. We don't have a lot of counter space, so I'm torn between wanting a big enough one I can bake some cookies in while also keeping a smaller footprint. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
03-16-2016, 12:00 PM
Go with a small one, like one that holds 2 slices of bread. I think they are faster and more even. Mine is a 20 year old Black and Decker. Nothing fancy but it's a workhorse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happymommyof2
03-16-2016, 12:04 PM
Based on the recommendations here, I got the Breville Smart (Convection Toaster) Oven. It's more than I thought I would ever spend on a toaster oven, but I love it! I use it for almost everything. They have since come out with the Element IQ, I have the version prior to that. It's onsale on Amazon for ~$212 with code SMARTSAVE.

ETA: They also have a compact version Breville Compact Smart Oven.

Kindra178
03-16-2016, 12:04 PM
Breville Smart Oven. I have cooked whole chickens, banana bread and even roasted vegetables. It's the best.

mackmama
03-16-2016, 12:11 PM
I have been reading about Breville, but they seem to get horrible reviews! You all haven't experienced any problems with them? We bought a Breville toaster based on recs here. It also got bad reviews. Sure enough, it broke after about 2 months of use. :(

m448
03-16-2016, 12:12 PM
We love this one. I bought the previous model in 2007 and it lasted us until last year and I only replaced it because the main bulb isnt replaceable that I know of. We bought this model last may. It's super quick, a good size and makes toast well every single time.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NB-G110P-Xpress-Toaster-Silver/dp/B008C9UFDI

I line the crumb tray with a very well smoothed out sheet of foil for easy cleanup.

AnnieW625
03-16-2016, 12:29 PM
Go with a small one, like one that holds 2 slices of bread. I think they are faster and more even. Mine is a 20 year old Black and Decker. Nothing fancy but it's a workhorse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't have one now, but I had one of these for few years and it was great and then I replaced it with a Delonghi and I regretted it. I don't know what hat I would get now if I wanted another one, but I loved the simple Black & Decker one I used to have.

dogmom
03-16-2016, 02:23 PM
We love this one. I bought the previous model in 2007 and it lasted us until last year and I only replaced it because the main bulb isnt replaceable that I know of. We bought this model last may. It's super quick, a good size and makes toast well every single time.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NB-G110P-Xpress-Toaster-Silver/dp/B008C9UFDI

I line the crumb tray with a very well smoothed out sheet of foil for easy cleanup.

YES!! I love that one. And it's small footprint. And my bulb just broke, and you CAN order a replacement. I called the 800 number on their web site and gave them the model number and they ordered it for me just today.

IT is so worth the money. Best toaster oven ever.

Kindra178
03-16-2016, 02:30 PM
I have been reading about Breville, but they seem to get horrible reviews! You all haven't experienced any problems with them? We bought a Breville toaster based on recs here. It also got bad reviews. Sure enough, it broke after about 2 months of use. :(

Mine is at least 6 years old. It gets used at every meal and has for the long. We are having a few door opening issues now but nothing major.

MMMommy
03-16-2016, 02:49 PM

I had the Breville Smart Oven (larger size, standard model), and it stopped working after two years. At exactly the two year point, it died with no explanation. Worked fine the day before, next day, kaput. Yes, it does get a lot of reviews that say it works great when it works and then it just stops working. It worked wonderfully when it did work. So after that experience, I decided to give the Kitchenaid Digital Convection Oven a try, as I didn't want another Breville lemon. But, after being spoiled by the very easy to use Smart Oven, its spacious and accommodating larger size, and the auto slide out rack of the toaster level, I found it hard to like the Kitchenaid. I found myself missing the Breville and finding the Kitchenaid to be too small.

So I decided to give the Breville Smart Oven another go and bought the Breville Smart Oven Pro from Bed Bath. This Pro model has the additional slow cook function and the interior light. It is only available on their website, not in-store. A friend told me how she was able to use the 20% coupon after ordering online and getting the price adjustment in-store. I did just that. I purchased it from their website and brought the invoice in after it got delivered. Bed Bath promptly refunded the 20% difference, no problem. Bed Bath has an excellent return policy. If it stops working, and you keep the receipt, they will refund you your money. You can also get any of the other models (compact, mini, standard) in store with the 20% coupon. Their coupon says it excludes Breville, but they have always allowed me to use it on Breville.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Breville%20%20Smart%20Convection%20Oven%20Pro/1044341237?skuId=44341237&mcid=EM_triggeredem_backinstock_rolling_allpromos

I know you said counterspace is an issue, but if you can make it work, I definitely recommend the larger sized one. Second choice would be the compact size, if counterspace is an absolute issue. I wouldn't get the mini. The larger size really is versatile and lets you use it in lieu of your oven for many, many things. I would go large, if at all possible.

Good luck!

MaiseyDog
03-16-2016, 03:05 PM
I have the Breville Compact Smart oven and have not had any problems with it at all. We've had it about 5 years and use it every day. I love it and use it as much as I can. If the pan fits in the smart oven, it gets cooked in the smart oven. I went with the compact oven because I don't have much counter space. If I had the space I'd love to upgrade to one of the newer models but for now I have no complaints.

chlobo
03-16-2016, 03:23 PM
I have this toaster oven, which I bought at Costco. I really like it. Works well and has held up. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Cuisinart-CTO-390PC-Exact-Heat-Black-Toaster-Oven-Broiler/6376215/product.html

elbenn
03-16-2016, 03:27 PM
I have the Breville Compact Smart oven and have not had any problems with it at all. We've had it about 5 years and use it every day. I love it and use it as much as I can. If the pan fits in the smart oven, it gets cooked in the smart oven. I went with the compact oven because I don't have much counter space. If I had the space I'd love to upgrade to one of the newer models but for now I have no complaints.

Same here, except mine is only 2 years old. I can't believe how much we use it! I have double wall ovens and they hardly get used anymore except for when we are cooking big meals or the occasional pizza or lasagna pan that won't fit in the breville.

Globetrotter
03-16-2016, 03:41 PM
I love the breville. Got the larger model.We rarely use our regular oven since this is a convection oven.

m448
03-16-2016, 03:56 PM
YES!! I love that one. And it's small footprint. And my bulb just broke, and you CAN order a replacement. I called the 800 number on their web site and gave them the model number and they ordered it for me just today.

IT is so worth the money. Best toaster oven ever.

Good to know! They stopped making this toaster for a couple of years and my parents kept asking if I had found one available. When I saw them being sold again I bought them one and then last year replaced ours. It's a speedy unit so I usually use a temp setting about 25 degrees lowere than the big oven.

pastrygirl
03-16-2016, 08:02 PM
I love the Breville, too. I use it way more than I thought I would! It fits a half-sheet pan perfectly, including those disposable aluminum steam pans.

I read the reviews about it not working after the 2-year-mark, but I figure it comes out to around $8/month if it only lasts that long...and that's worth it to me!

cellenly
03-17-2016, 12:00 AM
I know you said space is an issue, so if you've decided smaller, this oven is not for you. This is a full size toaster oven.

My favorite has been the Cuisinart Combo Steam Convection Oven:
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSO-300-Combo-Convection-Silver/dp/B00E6ZK8BQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1458183904&sr=8-3&keywords=cuisinart+steam+oven

My mom had the Breville, larger size, Smart oven (btw, purchased maybe 1 yr after it came out & still going strong to this day). I bought my mom the Cuisinart because I thought she'd make good use of the steam function since she steams often. I upgraded my toaster oven with her old Breville, and she tried out the Cuisinart. After a month, she decided that she doesn't mind steaming the way she's been for as long as she can remember, and she missed the interior size of the Breville. So I returned her Breville, and I took the Cuisinart.

And I *LOVE* the Cuisinart. I raved about it so much that 2 of my friends got it, and they LOVE it.

It really is my favorite kitchen appliance. I pretty much don't use the microwave much due to my toaster oven use now.

This oven functions like a normal toaster oven (bake, broil, toast). However, it also Steams and Steam Bakes (like a bakery steam oven).

I use the Steam function in the morning to steam Costco Dumplings - wake up the kids, set it and forget about it, and voila, it's ready for breakfast. I pretty much steam everything in there now because I love not having to remember to watch the stove top.

The Steam Bake looks like just a normal convection heating but the machine injections moisture into the heating process. I use Steam Bake function for every single reheat of food. I heat leftover chicken/beef, and it's perfectly warm and moist vs that dried out oven texture. It's great for reheating chinese food. I no longer feel like I'm eating horrible left overs. This is why my microwave is pretty much only used for heating soups, stews, water and melting butter.

I freeze my bread, and one of my kids doesn't like toast. Well it was unfortunate for him that the only way for him to get unfrozen bread in the past was to toast or bake it which led to a crunchy texture. But now he can have fresh soft bread that's warm from the Steam Bake function. Tonight, we heated the hamburger buns on steam bake. My son got soft warm buns, and my husband's buns were finished by toasting a tad on the stovetop, but I could never get that warm interior/light toast exterior so easily without this toaster oven -- usually, if you want it toasted only on the interior side of the bun, I just put the buns on low on the stovetop and then the bread dries out a bit by the time the bun is heated through.

Btw, there is a compartment for water, and I'd recommend using bottle water. I've seen Brita and a sink filter water being used, and over time, the interior becomes a little rusty looking. I use a water delivery service water, and my oven looks great still after 2 years.

TwinFoxes
03-17-2016, 07:40 AM
We've had our Breville for four years and use it at least once a day. I love it so much! It's rating on Amazon was 5 stars last time I checked. So some may have had problems, but I wouldn't call the reviews terrible. My MIL loves the one we got her for Christmas a few years ago too. :)

almostmom
03-17-2016, 12:25 PM
I never thought a toaster could work as well as the Breville compact smart oven. It toasts everything PERFECTLY. also great for roasting. Love it. I've probably had it for 5 years - never had a single issue.

Twin Mom
03-17-2016, 11:11 PM
I have this oven too. Also from Costco. I've had it at least 5 years, probably longer. I rarely use my full size oven because except for a full size pizza, everything I make fits. I think it was $99.99 at the time I got it at Costco.

I have this toaster oven, which I bought at Costco. I really like it. Works well and has held up. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Cuisinart-CTO-390PC-Exact-Heat-Black-Toaster-Oven-Broiler/6376215/product.html