PDA

View Full Version : Discount prom dresses

Globetrotter
03-16-2016, 03:33 PM
Yikes! From onesies to prom dresses in the blink of an eye, though this is for my friend, as DD has no interest in the junior prom. 🙄
She needs to find a prom dress on a budget. They have been through a tough time financially. Thankfully things have improved, but she was not pleased about spending a lot of money on this.

Any ideas? She was twins, so it's double the expense! 😁

I think you can get them second hand. Has anyone done this?

snowbunnies300
03-16-2016, 05:21 PM
If friend is on FB they can check out their local buy and sell pages. Where I live there have been a lot of posts with prom dresses for sale.

bisous
03-16-2016, 08:17 PM
Yikes! From onesies to prom dresses in the blink of an eye, though this is for my friend, as DD has no interest in the junior prom. ��
She needs to find a prom dress on a budget. They have been through a tough time financially. Thankfully things have improved, but she was not pleased about spending a lot of money on this.

Any ideas? She was twins, so it's double the expense! ��

I think you can get them second hand. Has anyone done this?

Borrow? I did that for one of my formal dances in high school. My friend had a beautiful dress that she wore for Winter Formal and I borrowed it to attend my boyfriend's (another school's) prom. I don't think dresses are that fussy in fit. I suppose it depends on the dress, though.

calebsmama03
03-16-2016, 10:39 PM
If friend is on FB they can check out their local buy and sell pages. Where I live there have been a lot of posts with prom dresses for sale.
This! There have been some gorgeous dresses for cheap on our local buy and sell.

candaceb
03-16-2016, 11:41 PM
I just saw a couple of gorgeous dresses on the clearance rack at Nordstrom Rack for under $50. Totally hit or miss, but might be worth checking if there is one in the area.

Mermanaid
03-16-2016, 11:52 PM
One of our local churches does a Project Prom closets where the dresses and accessories are free. The dresses are all donated by families and even local shops with excess inventory. The closet is particular about the kinds of dresses they accept so they are all more contemporary and in wonderful shape. Is there something like that in your area her daughter would qualify for?

okinawama
03-17-2016, 06:32 AM
Rent the runway. I've had numerous awesome experiences with them, and when I'm looking for dresses I often see pictures/reviews from girls that wore their dresses to prom.

bcafe
03-17-2016, 10:15 AM
Penney's usually has a nice selection. I saw some online at Tjmaxx too.

SnuggleBuggles
03-17-2016, 11:41 AM
Burlington. Last year I needed a dress for a costume party and didn't want to spend a lot. Looked at all the usuals + thrift stores. Burlington had the best prices and selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

94bruin
03-17-2016, 01:46 PM
One of our local churches does a Project Prom closets where the dresses and accessories are free. The dresses are all donated by families and even local shops with excess inventory. The closet is particular about the kinds of dresses they accept so they are all more contemporary and in wonderful shape. Is there something like that in your area her daughter would qualify for?

In the Bay Area, there is something similar called the Princess Project. Maybe there is something in your friend's area.

Kindra178
03-17-2016, 09:52 PM
Is there a local parenting group email? I would put it out there to friends and friends of friends. I suspect there are many college freshman who left their prom dress home.

Globetrotter
03-18-2016, 10:06 AM
Thank you!! I will pass on those great ideas.

barkley1
03-18-2016, 04:08 PM
I second Rent the Runway - they have dresses starting at $30. I've used them a ton and always pleased.

AnnieW625
03-20-2016, 11:24 AM
I would use Rent the Runway

mom2binsd
03-21-2016, 12:47 AM
Check consignment stores, lots of really cute dresses there, not just Plato's closet, but one's that cater to older clientele, some have great prom dresses.

Corie
03-29-2016, 07:43 PM
Rent the runway. I've had numerous awesome experiences with them, and when I'm looking for dresses I often see pictures/reviews from girls that wore their dresses to prom.

My friend just mentioned Rent the Runway. She said quite a few women used it recently to get dresses for their big church fundraiser party. I saw pictures and the
dresses were gorgeous.