PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in the cosmos series recommended here

bisous
03-16-2016, 08:42 PM
I was so excited to learn about this series and it has some fascinating information that is being presented. I don't have a problem with teaching evolution, the age of the earth or any of that at all. I want my kids to know about the science. But the host gives some really inflammatory statements meant to subtly ridicule many religious beliefs. I don't understand why that is necessary? We watch science programs all the time with not conflict whatsoever with our religious beliefs. Do we really need to crack jokes about seeing an image burned into toast? That isn't even my religious tradition but I really don't see what this has to do with comets? Or why it is necessary to be so dismissive. It could have been so much better. My kids are hooked and we'll finish the series but I confess it is really bothering me! Now that I'm reading ahead on the episodes to come, I am really dreading an entire episode set to disprove Noah's flood, something I truly believe in. I thought I'd give a heads up.

gatorsmom
03-18-2016, 10:23 AM
I was so excited to learn about this series and it has some fascinating information that is being presented. I don't have a problem with teaching evolution, the age of the earth or any of that at all. I want my kids to know about the science. But the host gives some really inflammatory statements meant to subtly ridicule many religious beliefs. I don't understand why that is necessary? We watch science programs all the time with not conflict whatsoever with our religious beliefs. Do we really need to crack jokes about seeing an image burned into toast? That isn't even my religious tradition but I really don't see what this has to do with comets? Or why it is necessary to be so dismissive. It could have been so much better. My kids are hooked and we'll finish the series but I confess it is really bothering me! Now that I'm reading ahead on the episodes to come, I am really dreading an entire episode set to disprove Noah's flood, something I truly believe in. I thought I'd give a heads up.

I appreciate the the heads up. It saddens me to see society encourage political correctness and embrace diversity yet it's still acceptable in society to mock or disprove Christian beliefs.

Bisous, i run into this frequently with my children and I point out to my children that there is no proof either way. There is no proof of Noah or against his story. But for various reasons (that I reemphasize to my kids) we believe the story of Noah.

chottumommy
03-18-2016, 01:54 PM
I appreciate the the heads up. It saddens me to see society encourage political correctness and embrace diversity yet it's still acceptable in society to mock or disprove Christian beliefs.

FYI, not just Christian beliefs, Hindu gods, Muslim customs, tribal customs etc etc are also mocked. Everybody has something they hold dear and gets belittled.

bisous
03-18-2016, 02:05 PM
FYI, not just Christian beliefs, Hindu gods, Muslim customs, tribal customs etc etc are also mocked. Everybody has something they hold dear and gets belittled.

That's what I was observing though. A disregard for ALL religious beliefs and it really bothered me.

bisous
03-18-2016, 02:06 PM

That's what I was observing though. A disregard for ALL religious beliefs and it really bothered me.

bisous
03-18-2016, 02:09 PM

Bisous, i run into this frequently with my children and I point out to my children that there is no proof either way. There is no proof of Noah or against his story. But for various reasons (that I reemphasize to my kids) we believe the story of Noah.

DS1 and I had a really great discussion last night about our beliefs, the reasons we still believe in scientific inquiry, how we can differ with others opinions but still be respectful, etc. It was a good discussion. But honestly we felt like we'd rather not finish the series. I left it up to him. We are actively searching for another series we watched years ago (maybe 8??) when DS1 was very small and that he still remembers. It also discussed the "cosmos" and talked about white holes, other planets and all kinds of fascinating research. It didn't make me feel uncomfortable at all!

newnana
03-18-2016, 02:39 PM
We have not yet watched the show, it sounds like it is an excellent vehicle for creating some important discussions about respect. I looked it up, and one of the executive producers is Seth McFarlane of Family guy fame, so that may lend to the tone. Thanks for the heads up! We aren't religious, but we do emphasize respecting others beliefs.

Not sure if you already mentioned it, but our prime shows do include Nova, which we watch a lot of. Good luck finding another fun series!

gatorsmom
03-18-2016, 02:50 PM

I'm particularly bothered by the media sources that promote and celebrate individual differences and then belittle religion. But even here on the Bbb there are posters who on the one hand insist that it's a priority for their children to go to schools with a lot of diversity and then come here and put down religious beliefs of those they don't agree with. Maybe they send their kids to diverse- rich schools as a precautionary device? Source of humor?

DS1 and I had a really great discussion last night about our beliefs, the reasons we still believe in scientific inquiry, how we can differ with others opinions but still be respectful, etc. It was a good discussion. But honestly we felt like we'd rather not finish the series. I left it up to him. We are actively searching for another series we watched years ago (maybe 8??) when DS1 was very small and that he still remembers. It also discussed the "cosmos" and talked about white holes, other planets and all kinds of fascinating research. It didn't make me feel uncomfortable at all!

When you find one let me know!

legaleagle
03-18-2016, 04:06 PM
Maybe look at the crash course astronomy videos on YouTube? Ds1(7) watched them with DH.

Zansu
03-18-2016, 06:03 PM
Try this one: https://corporate.discovery.com/discovery-newsroom/discovery-channels-telescope-is-a-provocative-look-inside-the-making-of-the-james-webb-space-telescope-the-next-generation-of-high-stakes-telescopes-designed-to-revolutionize-future-studies/

bisous
03-18-2016, 07:41 PM
I found the one we had watched! It is called "The Universe" and we saw seasons 1 and 2. I can't vouch for anything beyond 2nd season but the first two seasons were really educational and interesting and didn't tackle concepts that (in my mind) are better left to religion and philosophy. We're probably going to buy two seasons digitally through Amazon and start watching tonight. :)